Author Topic: Bouy (red/green) lights in FSX/DX10  (Read 5870 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Bouy (red/green) lights in FSX/DX10
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Anybody running FSX/DX10, could you take a look at Misty's Place and see if the red and green buoys are flashing.  Mine stopped flashing. I did try the new lights configurator ... I don't see a lot of dif on my setup, interesting to "have" ... but I reset the defaults ...and everything looks the same.  Just let me know, if you are using DX10, if you can see the buoys. We are working on the libraries and I could have an error there. But I want to track this down because the buoys are darned important for the waterways in RTMM.

Thank you - Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Bouy (red/green) lights in FSX/DX10
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »
Doug,
The buoys flash fine for me in DX10. Haven't installed the lights configurator.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
Ok, thank you. I've got something wrong here, that's what I needed. Maybe that configuration did t put it back to "default settings" correctly.  New programs are fun...if they work.  Thanks again.

Update 1:  I'm wondering if the new light configurator doesn't set the settings BACK to original. When you click to do it, it is instantaneous, I don't see how it could change anything so quickly. When you change variations, you get a 2-3 second "pause" while it does its thing. You don't see that pause when going back to the defaults.

Anyway, I ran the DX10 Scenery Fixer ... it found several effects that needed to be updated, which I did. But that didn't solve the problem.  I may have a library conflict somehow. With all the testing I'm doing, I have libraries scattered everywhere ... will be nice to get them all settled down. I'm going to go find the library that has those and re-download it from Rod and see if that solves the problem.

Update 2: Redownloaded the converted UKVR library ... reran FSX ... same problem, no blinking lights. Now I'm really suspect the Light Configurator doesn't set it back on default. I'll go over to that forum and ask them about it. Posted to Ed Correa (who made the Configurator). Couldn't find a way to email him, so had to post it. This may not be a problem with the program ... waiting to hear.

PS to all ... read the new sticky at the top of this category. This is why we are putting up the warning for this category.  The "new"stuff is fun to play with, but if you want to avoid a problem like the above, wait until we get everything figured out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:59:39 AM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »
Doug,
This might be a good time to reinforce the "concept" of users in making regular backups of their complete HDD's. A good imaging strategy will go a long way in providing peace of mind and reversibility when the inevitable "OH NO!" happens. IT WILL HAPPEN. With mass storage being so cheap these days, there's no excuse not to make complete and regular backups.  I can't tell you how many times I did something without thinking, regretted it almost immediately and then was able to save my bacon with an entire system restore. There are numerous free and easy to use imaging programs out there and it only takes casual discipline to use them on a regular basis.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
Doug,
I downloaded the Light Configuator the day it was released and set up a profile etc. I just loaded up PF20 (Misty's) with the new profile with stock FSX (no DX10/P3D) and bouy lights are blinking bright and strong.  I then clicked the Reset Defaults and applied and got a message that "all changes were applied sucessfully".  The bouy lights are woking just fine with the default set in the configuator.
FWIW I have recieved these libraries via e-mail when the conversion process was first started and the files are in my sim replacing the old .bgl/bmp files.
1. khLibrariesFSX10v1
2. Westwood Inn ObjectsFSX10v2
3. Woody's Additional LibrariesFSX10
4. Woody's EZ_rocks_Boulders_snowdriftsFSX-P3Dv2 Ver3
It must be the DX10 that is the problem as FSX with Light Configuator works fine for me.
Later,
Spud
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Spud ... turn the DX10 preview on, don 't do anything else, restart and see if they blink. Then you can turn DX10 preview off and restart. Won't change anything for you, but might answer a question for me.

Steve, you are correct ... got to be in my effects as my textures and scenery files for UKVR are the same as yours (using the converted library).  We should all have that extra backup somewhere. I do, but it "overwrote" before I saw the problem overnight.

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
I won't have a chance to do it for a day or 2 but I'll install the configurator and see what happens to me. Let me know if you find anything out in the meantime. (I'll do a complete image backup of my current configuration  first - just in case!)
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
Steve ... here's what Ed says:

The configurator just swaps our autogen light bgls and related bmp files. You can see which files are swapped in the ORBX\Scripts\data folder. Actual light files reside in Scenery\Global.

Notice the "our" ... so he's only changing ORBX stuff, nothing on our "objects" side. So it isn't in the configurator that is changing the effects file, that must be the DX10SceneryFixer that is changing those.  So now I don't think it could be the configurator ... who knows?  We'll figure it out sometime.  The key is, the object seems OK (that's we've not lost something in the conversion process) ... just something going on locally on my machine.

I need to grab an old effects file (maybe from Spud) and archive what I have and put that one in. I'm betting the lights will come back. 

Spud, can you send me a zipper of the EFFECTS folder you have?

Doug
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:35:24 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Doug,
I haven't played with the DX10 Fixer settings too much. Maybe there's a setting in the configuration sliders that can be adjusted to get them back. Just a thought. You might want to ask about the issue with Paul  over here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?92-DX-10 Paul knows this stuff inside and out.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
Is the configurator you guys are talking about the FTX Night/ Day thing or is there something else I missed? In DX10, with the above set to night/enabled, the fixer set to DX10 lights enabled, my lights all blink. If there's another configurator out there maybe I don't want it. If it ain't broke...yada, yada.
Jsapair

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Never mind...just saw Spud's post on the SAK SP 3 that includes the configurator. I'll try it and see if things change.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
Spud ... turn the DX10 preview on, don 't do anything else, restart and see if they blink. Then you can turn DX10 preview off and restart. Won't change anything for you, but might answer a question for me.

Steve, you are correct ... got to be in my effects as my textures and scenery files for UKVR are the same as yours (using the converted library).  We should all have that extra backup somewhere. I do, but it "overwrote" before I saw the problem overnight.

Doug

Doug,
ran FSX with DX10 Preview checked and then changed back with no changes to the flashing bouys.  They flash as they are supposed to in both modes.
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
Doug,
FWIW, SteveFX (the DX10 Fixer developer) posted this yesterday regarding the FTX global lights configurator:

"If you make changes via this new Orbx tool you will then need to disable dx10 effects and then enable them.

This is because when you make a change it copies in new effect files overwriting the dx10 converted versions. Dx10sf doesn't detect the change because it currently looks for a change in the directory which doesn't actually change because the file names are exactly the same. I will try and detect this in the next version."

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/439722-ftx-global-lights-configurator/
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »
OK, that makes sense.  Rod and I are (well, let me rephrase) ... ROD is working on this from a different angle. He thinks the objects "flash" didn't convert. We can see it fin in FSXDX10 ... but it doesn't flash with the converted object. So the problem may be strictly local.  He's working on it, and we'll keep you posted. So it may not be the configurator or the SF ... don't spend too much time on it till we know more. Thanks so much Steve, I learn something every time you make a post!

Doug

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »
ROD FIXED IT!!!

The red and green flashing lights are now working again. Rob will be putting this "modified" object into the new UKVFR library with the new effects.  This is one of the libraries we are going to be bringing to you all modified.  Solving this problem solved the potential problem of replacing about 1500 objects in the RTMM sceneries.  Thanks to all for the input. Much appreciated.