Author Topic: My first impressions of latest P3D  (Read 3923 times)

Dieter

My first impressions of latest P3D
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »
Well, I couldn't abstain from buying latest P3D.
Satisfying curiosity and interest, I already wanted to know possible future in flight simulation.

The software is installed successfully, but I'm at the beginning concerning best settings. So I still have to read a lot und trying what's best on my system.

Nevertheless I noticed (not only now):
Sceneries are darker than in FSX especially many forest areas and water bodies. Also representation of panels (VC) are sometimes very dark. (not because of any shadows)

The many screenshots and videos clips very often shows same.

Am I wrong with that?
Why is that?
I suppose one cannot change it?

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

SkipperMac

Re: My first impressions of latest P3D
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:10 AM »
Dieter, I've noticed that also in the many screenshots and videos I've watched. This new 'dark world' is really putting me off even thinking about changing to P3D from FSX.
SkipperMac

i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »
Dieter,
thanks for confirming what I have suspected that P3D was actually too dark (for my tastes) from what I observed in many screen shots and videos.  I though perhaps it might have been the ENB thingy that was developed for FSX, it has always seemed like everything was in night lighting to me.  I just do not like 90% of the stuff people are posting due to the darkness exhibited.
Maybe I'm just jaded but I have yet to see any video that makes the ORBX scenery look any better on my system than plain old FSX.
When P3D was first available and they announced that V2 was being worked on I made the decision of not even following the threads on V1 on the ORBX site as I was going to wait.  Of course screen shots were posted on other forum threads with P3D running and I was never impressed, and then P3D v2 was released and I began to follow the forum for that software.  Slowly it became apparent to me that from what has been posted, picture wise, there just is not enough improvment to warrent the time, money, effort and grief involved for me to switch.  I seems that most users laud the smoothness of P3D which, in my case, is a non-issue.
I know that sometime in the future the switch will probably be made even by GOF's like me but for now if I did anything different I might consider "trying DX10" but from screen shots of that I still do not see enough difference to tempt me at this time.
 8)
Later,

Spud

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
P3Dv2 does produce richer and deeper colors that give the sim a more robust submersion in the game to some people. To avoid this you can turn off Tessellation which will require a restart. I have noticed by turning this off  the shading becomes more to FSX  standards.

About the only thing that I did miss from FSX in P3Dv2 was the REX “ sparking water texture” but that has since past and the now am enjoying to rolling swells. I seemed to have found my sweet spot with my water issues…at least for now.

Like Guy says, in time the switch will be made by more pilots, but then again FS9 has not died off.

In my experience the ATI card simply loves P3Dv2. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:07:08 PM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Dieter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
"""To avoid this you can turn off Tessellation which will require a restart."""

I tried that, well just a litlle bit better, but doing so

I'm loosing frames, you won't believe. (I did a P3D restart)

Dieter

Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
Loosing FPS...BLAH.

Have you tried updating your drivers?
Keep The FSFaith People

Dieter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
Yes, latest Nvidia 337.50

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Keep The FSFaith People

Dieter

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:46 AM »
No, not yet, but I will do.

As I pointed out in my first posting I'm still at the beginning with P3D2, but I'm experienced enough getting the new simulator running.
My frame rates are generally good, blocked at 30. My adjustments/settings (textures, mesh, water, autogen a.s.o.) are very similar to those I use in FSX (recommended for ORBX-sceneries). So no reason for me to complain about this fact.
Nevertheless I'm  not (yet) persuaded about the new simulator especially for above mentioned reasons and I really wonder that I never read any complaint about that in any forum.
Colors might be richer and deeper but I don't like that way.

Maybe I'm used to FSX for too long.

Dieter
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:28:42 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter