Author Topic: P3D v2.1  (Read 12291 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: P3D v2.1
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
Holy cow. I would have thought that by now OOM errors would have been long since fixed by the P3D developers. The biggest reason why I will never go back to DX9 and a high percentage of flights ruined by some unexpected stupid memory problem caused by my slider settings and poor program coding.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
There is some discussion there may be a "memory leak" and that is causing the OOM errors.  ORBX and Lookheed Martin are "discussing it."  For me P3D is NO PROBLEM ... then I put in NCal and it runs like my old FS9 ... crashing whenever it feels like it.  Its pretty random too. I was out over a rural area running smoothly at 30 fps and BAM, ...fatal error.  I don't have that problem when I'm using P3D (v2.1) where the scenery is not added.  I can fly around hawaii for HOURS without the first problem.  Also, it was stated that they think the "vegetation" objects are at the "root" of the problem ... so that's why it can crash over a rural area where it is not being taxed.

For those having the OOM problem, don't forget FSUICP ... the one you install into P3D.  Just like with FSX, you can go in there an tell it to "save" every minute or so. If you crash, you just reload the last save and continue forward.   I'm not going to mess with it any more until they get some patches going for it. Thank heavens they started with NCal ... it would have been a mess for us to be trying to figure this out at RTMM. 

There's still no doubt in my mind this is what we all will be flying a year from now. But, in my very humble and non-technical opinion, it isn't quite ready for "prime time" yet.

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
Doug, I think you are correct about P3Dv2 in a year from now, I am already in it 100% as you know. I have gotten two OMM pleasures both after over two hours of flying. Now, that I have installed the latest ORBX LIBS into P3DV2.1  I have not had one OOM and flying for over three hours.

At the moment I am downloading California Dreamin  "Northern California"  wish me luck.  :)

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »
Spud,
As you have yourself have commented on so many times in the past FSX DX10 was never finished, so just checking the box in FSX 'aint gonna cut it. You have to have at least the shaders fixes or the DX10 Fixer to realize DX10.

Exactly why I'm not 'going there' FSX runs smooth as a baby's butt, no stutters, no OOM, almost no tweaks in cfg file and no extras except what I know works.  I still have not seen a screen shot that shows any better scenery than what shines back at me from my monitor so I'm not adding a bunch of 'non standard' stuff to get a result that I still have not been able to verify.
Just like P3D.  When it was first being discussed on the ORBX site there was a mention of a v2 being prepard.  Well after almost 3 years it finally was released on so far it has been one problem after another from the posts I read.
Brad,
If I were to 'cannonball' into DX10 I wouldn't have to worry about the color of the water, .... there would just not be any water left!! ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Standing on the sidelines. Wondering where I go when I get back in the game. On one side is the P3D team. Other side, FSX and whichever version I choose because like Spud, I was happy with no DX10 at a solid 30fps and great looking scenery.

Hmmmm

Doug

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
You can be running BOTH ... I am with NO PROBLEMS.  You either turn on FSX or P3D and never use them at the same time. If you are using REX ... just change the configurator in REX back and forth from FSX to P3D, whichever you are running.  I'm now checking scenery objects between DX10 and P3D ... and switching quickly (as long as it takes to turn one off and the other on). I'm switching back and forth all the time with the new P3D Object Project ...

... Here is a little update on the P3D Object project, here's a glance at what we are doing. I made a "testing ground" on Kaloolowe Island (SW of Maui).  This was a testing ground for the military until about 10 years ago. Nothing there, desert island.  I raised a rectangle of land to 130 meters and am using that as the testing area.  Now that Steve and Rod have got the "Woody's Snowdrifts" working, I can make (with Instant Scenery) the placement of the objects in DX10, and check them out in P3D.  Under each object, I place a small yellow rectangle. If the object is not there, then the little yellow rectangle is visible (there is a line of them to the left on the pics below).  I'll have an "area" for all of the critical ones Rod is moving to P3D.  It is an interesting project.   Here is what Woody's Snowdrifts looks like with the converted library. (You won't see it if you look there because you don't have the P3D converted library yet ... so don't even try ...it will still be a desert island for you!!! :-)  But this gives you a "feel" for what we are attempting.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:45:02 PM by Doug »

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
I just got through with a four fly around in the Carenado V-Tail over the fabulous NAC P3Dv2.1...phew weee, simply stunning vistas everywhere you look. Must admit my FSP was in the 40´s and dropped down to 25´s  in the heavy SFO area, but smoooooooth. Outside the FTX  region I get double FPS. The cool thing  is not a one OOM. 

I do have the most advance rig and not the worse one either, but P3DV2.1 loves what I have and I am most thankful.

Wow Doug you are getting excited about RTMM and P3DV2. Great start indeed.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:46:48 PM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Doug

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
Lockheed Martin has a "hot fix" out:
http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=130

Dex clued me into this. I tried it and it is a 100% improvement!!! I have NCal and the frame rates over SFO have been 10-15 for me ... now they are back up to 27-30 (Target 30).  Still a couple of problems when I change a setting and start to go back into P3D ... OOM error. So they've got a couple of things to fix yet I'm sure, but if you have P3D ... use the fix above.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »
Lockheed Martin has a "hot fix" out:
http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=130

Dex clued me into this. I tried it and it is a 100% improvement!!! I have NCal and the frame rates over SFO have been 10-15 for me ... now they are back up to 27-30 (Target 30).  Still a couple of problems when I change a setting and start to go back into P3D ... OOM error. So they've got a couple of things to fix yet I'm sure, but if you have P3D ... use the fix above.

Doug

You must be logged in to download this file!   >:(

You'll need to log in to LM before the file above will "download" for you.  ;)  That's all, thanks for your attention. 

Thanks Doug, for the link.  8) 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Dex clued me in... There is a new v2.2 version of Prepae3D on the way. For those not using P3D yet and for those using it, you should read this:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/03/4904/

...you will get a feel for the coming technical depth of this thing. (Shadows for clouds, radar?). They have some problems now, but the ones that I've encountered are being nailed in this coming fix.  Good to see they are working closely with ORBX and Aerosoft.  You can see why we are working so hard to get the RTMM site P3D ready.  Steve and Rod are cranking out the midnight hours on our POP project. You can follow their progress on our scenery objects library page...go to the POP section. The latest status report from Rob is right there at the top. You can also see the objects as they appear in DX10 and P3D when the are placed on our Kahoolawe testing ground.  When we are finished, we will be fully compatible with FSX, DX10 and P3D. And when that happens, I know I will be leaving FSX long behind. Amazing we got the miles out of it we did.

So read the article and get a fix in what is coming...it's pretty exciting.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »
Yes, thanks Dex!  8) I am "clued in" as well.  ;)  Interesting reading.  I am excited about those trees.  ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
I have been 'on the outside looking in'...Little Anthony and the Imperials? Anyway, my sincere hope is that the Misty's team at some point in the future will put together a treatise of sorts for those of us wanting to wait to take the plunge into P3D. From what I can see looking through the sliding glass door is the program itself is running for most folks, but it's the 3rd party programs and add-ons that aren't up to speed...am I getting that right? AVSIM forums today posted a compatibility list of AC, Scenery Enhancements, Scenery, etc., for P3Dv2. Some went straight across but others needed tweaking. It's the tweaking that bothers me 'cause, frankly, I didn't know what they were referring to "tweak-wise". The list is here:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426926-p3d-v2-master-compatibility-list/
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
I see those tweak forum comments too. I don't mess with it.  Their standard works fine. The tweaking that I do is in the program itself, the sliders, etc just as in FSX.

For me, the complete crossover will happen when we get an Instant scenery that works on P3D...then I can leave FSX behind. I'm already setting up a separate folder for object libraries, pointing FSX and P3D to the same one so I won't duplicate these large programs in computer space. I'm doing the same for my third party scenery.

The improvements they are discussing for the 2.2 are really breakthrough items. The autogen scenery was "leaking" and there were lots of OOM errors. I'm betting this next fix will really bring this program home. There will then always be tweaks, as there SHOULD HAVE BEEN with Microsoft. We are all used to updates.

When things are settled, we will probably make an RTMM/Prepar3D "getting started" manual and dock it in our FAQ section. This would be good not just for people converting, but for a newby hitting the site for the first time.

Putting in P3D is actually easier to do than FSX.  One of the highest barriers is the many object libraries...some with bad objects in them. The POP project Rod and Steve are working in will really simplify this. They are discussing combining many of the libraries. Keep an eye in the POP section of the Object Libraries page and watch Rod's status report link at the top.

Personally, I'm working with P3D to check out objects, etc, but when I take a break and want to enjoy...I go to FSXDX10 and take off from Misty's Place. It is solid, beautiful, great frame rates and it is "home."

Doug