Author Topic: P3D V2 or FSX  (Read 13375 times)

Yardreamer

P3D V2 or FSX
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
ok was wondering how many RTMM users are switching to P3D V2... I have been reading new Cards are having issues running both and as a FSX patriot was thinking if FSX is becoming redundant faster that I previously believed.

Dreamer

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: P3D V2 or FSX
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
Dreamer,
actually this is kind of a two part question as far as I can see.  Strictly RTMM speaking P3D v2 is a matter of future work.  While we are working on making our files complient with P3D v2 at the moment it is on hold.

Because all the locations are dependent on ORBX and Tongass Fjords X scenery regions until those regions are offically made P3D v2 complient RTMM should not be migrated to that simulation.  ORBX has been working on re-writing their installers for P3D v2 but right not only a couple are ready and none of those are regions in which RTMM locations exist.

As you have noted there seems to be some problems that have yet to be worked out and RTMM will wait until we can provide a seamless, official, standard way of making our secenery compliant.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:41:41 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

caseyfallen

• Official Casey Fallen Website
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
I don't have a lot of time to reply to this properly...But I will later. But a quick note, One day in the future P3D will surpass FSX. Spud is correct. What will be approved in the way of add-on's for use on P3D is yet to be seen.

As of right now. I have read many forums and discussions on this topic and from everything I can tell... FSX in DX10 with the Steve fix is far superior in the way of frame rates, stability, and add-on compatibility. But again, that is going to change in the future. How long into the future. No one seems to know at this point.
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

Yardreamer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:20:25 PM »
I don't have a lot of time to reply to this properly...But I will later. But a quick note, One day in the future P3D will surpass FSX. Spud is correct. What will be approved in the way of add-on's for use on P3D is yet to be seen.

As of right now. I have read many forums and discussions on this topic and from everything I can tell... FSX in DX10 with the Steve fix is far superior in the way of frame rates, stability, and add-on compatibility. But again, that is going to change in the future. How long into the future. No one seems to know at this point.

Totally agree to para in bold .... Just I have a few projects I ma working on atm RTMM associated and not. with this in mind I am  thinking hard whether to continue on some or not as a great deal of time is invested in scenery modeling to have them become redundant shortly after completion.

Dreamer

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »
My 2 cents is that it will take a very long time for a huge number of users to migrate to P3D. For example there is still a huge base of FS2004 users who have never migrated to FSX, and probably never will because of comfort level and the amount of resources and time they've invested in it. In the just past 30 days alone, over 300 new FS2004 files have been uploaded to the FlightSim file library! Based upon that observation alone I'd say the same will hold true for FSX for a long, long time.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Yardreamer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
My 2 cents is that it will take a very long time for a huge number of users to migrate to P3D. For example there is still a huge base of FS2004 users who have never migrated to FSX, and probably never will because of comfort level and the amount of resources and time they've invested in it. In the just past 30 days alone, over 300 new FS2004 files have been uploaded to the FlightSim file library! Based upon that observation alone I'd say the same will hold true for FSX for a long, long time.

Best FS news I have heard in a long while... I think what is happening and I am just as guilty as the next is I think sim flying is turning to how much eye candy is available and I can still fly.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
It might be due to age, mental process, stubborness, lack of desire, or just to be a GOF (Grumpy Old Fart) but I have never been lulled, lured, led or pushed into jumping on the next great thing to come down the pike flghtsim wise.  I waited about 4 years after FSX came out before trying it.  I made a point of never reading the P3D v1 threads at ORBX or anyplace else because I intended to wait for version 2.  That turned out to take over 2 years to be released and as we already know it is not completely ready for prime time ORBX wise.  I keep reading the v2 posts and keep wondering when it will be at the point I'm willing to give it any of my time, money or efforts.  You already that I feel the same way about DX10.  All in all at this time my personal feelings reguarding these latest attempts to conquor the flight simming world are still premature and I'll just bide my time and watch the shake out process take place.
In the mean time FSX is beautiful, smooth, stutter free, immersive and suits my needs just fine.  It is after all a simulation and at best 40% effective compared to actually flying an aircraft.  I have 'flown' multi-million dollar simulators in the past during my Naval career and even those are a distant second place to the real thing.  I enjoy the relaxation aspect of FSX and entertainment as well but it ain't never gonna approach making an night carrier arrested landing on a pitching flight deck.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:38:25 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Yardreamer

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
It might be due to age, mental process, stubborness, lack of desire, or just to be a GOF (Grumpy Old Fart) but I have never been lulled, lured, led or pushed into jumping on the next great thing to come down the pike flghtsim wise.  I waited about 4 years after FSX came out before trying it.  I made a point of never reading the P3D v1 threads at ORBX or anyplace else because I intended to wait for version 2.  That turned out to take over 2 years to be released and as we already know it is not completely ready for prime time ORBX wise.  I keep reading the v2 posts and keep wondering when it will be at the point I'm willing to give it any of my time, money or efforts.  You already that I feel the same way about DX10.  All in all at this time my personal feelings reguarding these latest attempts to conquor the flight simming world are still premature and I'll just bide my time and watch the shake out process take place.
In the mean time FSX is beautiful, smooth, stutter free, immersive and suits my needs just fine.  It is after all a simulation and at best 40% effective compared to actually flying an aircraft.  I have 'flown' munti-million dollar simulators in the past during my Naval career and even those are a distant second place to the real thing.  I enjoy the relaxation aspect of FSX and entertainment as well but it ain't never gonna approach making an night carrier arrested landing on a pitching flight deck.
 8)
Well Said Spud

frostlp

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
Yes, to all of the above.
I have P3Dv2 and FSX both installed.  I'm glad I took the leap and purchased P3Dv2. It's fun to have the option of simulators, wherever possible.
P3Dv2 really is a good simulator with some advantages over FSX.  Minor bugs, but it's an evolving product. Their patch is due in a few weeks, so some bugs should go away.

I do a lot of comparison flying in non-Orbx areas. (I have FTX Global, FTX Vector and Pilot's 2010 mesh in both simulators)

P3Dv2 loads faster (the game itself and the flight) has dynamic shadowing, runs smoother than FSX, and I get better frame rates.  This could be due to the very limited scenery that can be added at this time.

It's a semi-close call, but I still prefer FSX. Something about the coloring/texturing in P3Dv2 is different.  They should be identical because of FTX Global, but they aren't.  Also, it could be the $$ and time I have invested in FSX. 
Re-installing all of the RTMM sceneries would (will) be a chore in itself. 

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »
Well said, Spud. But I do see an intersection here where some will go some way and some will go another as far as as DX10, FSX, and P3D. What I do like is the fact that RTMM is trying very hard to accomodate the changes. It is, in fact, the reason I'm here in the first place. Not to be on the cutting edge of technology but to fly the amazing scenery that is developed here. If we can incorporate DX10 and P3d then great. I found this place and it is home to me...period.
Jsapair

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:59:22 PM »

.... Just I have a few projects I ma working on atm RTMM associated and not. with this in mind I am  thinking hard whether to continue on some or not as a great deal of time is invested in scenery modeling to have them become redundant shortly after completion.

Dreamer

Hi Dreamer,

Not too worry...best I can tell at this point, anything developed under FSX SDKs should run in P3Dv2. 

Rod

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
For me it took less than five minutes of flying P3Dv2 and less than 3 minutes minutes back to FSX to deciede that I am a P3Dv2 flyer from now on.

My ATI card simply loves P3Dv2 and offers a depth of flying and FPS  that is far beyond what  FSX can produce.

P3Dv2 takes advantage of all the new features with newer graphic cards and really shows the aging process of FSX. Together with HDR shading and Tessellation and DX11 not the mention REXDirect P3Dv2 shines brightly.

All my FSX Carenado aircrafts works like a charm and my beloved Aerosoft Beaver sings with joy in P3dV2.

Tongass for FSX works perfectly as well, which is where I am presently doing my RTMM flights and to be honest Tongass never looked better than it does in P3Dv2,  Soon Orbx will be getting out their regions as well as their airports and with many more  great things to come.

I am not saying FSX is a bad sim at all. I spent more hours than I want to say in this sim, flighting it and enjoy it over the years.  Out of all the hours I have spent in P3Dv2 I have not once fought it, it is as smooth as silk for me and loves flying through all those fantastic clouds that REX Direct can throw at it.

It was a no brainer for me.   8)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:00:00 AM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
Robert,
Before switching to P3D, did you try FSX/DX10? Just wondering because it sounds like the DX10 fixes have addressed a lot of the things you like about P3D, except for maybe the tessellation and HDR shading eye candy features - and without the need to upgrade to a pricey DX11 compliant video card. Just wondering.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
As a matter of fact I did and bought the " fixer " program.  My result was nothing special. I had sparking textures everywhere I looked. It simply was not a positive for me with my FSX.

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
Ahhh...ATI card was probably the issue.  FSX gurus and experts will tell you that they don't always play nicely with FSX and especially with DX10, and that NVIDIA is the way to go. Now I understand why you had issues with it. Glad you like P3D. I hope the issues required for full migration and comparability will be painless for you.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support