Author Topic: DX10 Missing Objects  (Read 20350 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: DX10 Missing Objects
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »

How big are the files on average, just out of curiosity?

The zipped download is 299 mb. I went in a slightly different direction than I originally started to go and was able to reduce the number of files by a considerable amount. It will take you 10 times longer to read the documentation than to install everything.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
I also noticed there is no .pln file for Bradley Lake in the DL file. You can add the area but there is no reference to it in FP.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
Well I guess I'm just lucky on the DX10 ready files because I did just what Rod cautions not to do.  My method was some what convoluted but I did mine this way.
1. Download the DX10 Ready zip file.
2. Extract the zip file to a temporary location.
3. Compared the files inside the scenery sub-folder of the unzipped file with the files in my RTMM scenery sub-folder for the same scenery.
4. If the files had the same names then I simply copied and replaced the old .bgls with the new ones.
5. This does require that you inspect both sets of files for identical names or additional files, and also copy those files to the correct place.
6. All the support files, jpg, and txt are the same so those were just omitted.
7. Once the transfer was done I could delete the unzipped files and copy replace the zip file to my archive location to have on hand.
8. Rod's cavat about files with season switcher capability is very true and there were two new DX10 ready downloads that needed to be altered which has been done.
9. May warning is before you begin replacing the DX100 ready file is to make sure your seasonal switcher is set to no season so all the files from RTMM will be on the same page so to speak.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
Actually you don't have to delete the scenery area from within FSX as long as you maintain the same folder structure and naming conventions. When you activate a scenery area in the scenery library you are just telling FSX where it resides and it doesn't care what's inside of the scenery (or texture folder if it has one.) To me the easiest way would be to download the new scenery file, unzip it's contents somewhere, go to the "FSX/Addon Scenery/RTMM scenery that I'm updating" folder and delete the entire contents of the old scenery folder. Then either copy or move the entire contents of the new scenery folder into the existing one. That's it. Saves several steps.

The above is assuming that Doug included all of the contents of the original scenery folder in his new modified one. If only the bgl's were changed then don't delete the entire contents of the old folder. This is sounding more complicated than it should be.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:58:40 PM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »
I did the same thing, but, for some reason, it (my PC) won't replace the old file with the new one on a copy/paste. I'd tell it to do it and then check the Properties...same file with the same date. Over and over again. Cut and paste worked but then I had to put the files back in the new folder.Finally realized I needed to do the delete/add area thing. I'll check that switcher...just changed it to Spring yesterday. Thanks for your input, Spud.

Steve, just caught your post. I found it easier to just replace the .bgl and then delete and re-activate the existing folder.
Jsapair

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
I just made a pln file for Bradley Lake Hydro and uploaded it...it is in the zip download now. Those are the things we are really looking for from folks...don't hesitate to let us know if you see something.  As I went through all of these, I found several little things like those and corrected them. That's why I was saying just delete the whole folder and out in the new folder, that way you don't have to worry about what is inside.  But darned glad you caught this one.  Thank You.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:20:15 AM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
I did the same thing, but, for some reason, it (my PC) won't replace the old file with the new one on a copy/paste. I'd tell it to do it and then check the Properties...same file with the same date. Over and over again.

I'm guessing that most likely this is because you had FSX running at the time and you were trying to change a file that it was using. Windows doesn't like it when that happens.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Hmmm, very possible. You are very wise, Grasshopper.
Jsapair

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
The DX10 Project is FINISHED for the main scenery page. I have replaced all of the objects that you cannot see in DX10 with objects that you can see in DX10 (and eventually P3D).  Over 1100 objects were "replaced".  Note this also includes the River Runs which were extensive at Wilson River, Doug's Outfitters (2 runs) and Owikeeno Lake (4 River Runs).   There are a couple we will not replace (Cris Losh's) because we don't have permission yet. Also, CIRP is not done and won't be done until Brad can get his computer back up and running.

If you do not have DX10 Preview On ... then you will not need to change any location files. If you want to see RTMM in DX10 (in all it's REAL glory) then you should replace the folders you have with those that have been updated (so stated at each entry on the scenery page).  If a location has the "DX10 Ready" logo on it but it says "added" with an old date and not "updated" with a date of 2014, then no changes were made on that locations and what you have already will work in DX10. To update your locations the safe way, we suggest this procedure:

1. Go to FSX/Settings/Scenery ... remove the area you are going to replace (Delete Area)
2. Get out of FSX
3. Go into where you keep your Misty Moorings Scenery folders
   A. Delete the old folder
   B. Add in the new folder
4. Go back into FSX ... go to settings/scenery and ADD the new Area to activate it.

DO not "MERGE" any of these new folders with the old folders ... they will not merge correctly.

(Keep in mind, you can make a list of those you are deleting, and  have the new ones ready, and do this all in one step).

The goal of the project was to not only make us "DX10 Ready" ... it is to make us "P3D Ready".  So when the migration comes from FSX to P3D ... all of our objects are "ready" for the new format.

Many thanks to Spud, Rod, Dex and Jeff for looking over my shoulder on this project.

Doug