Author Topic: DX10 Missing Objects  (Read 20330 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
DX10 Missing Objects
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
For those who are using DX10, please help us locate objects that are now showing up correctly in DX10. We are working our way through all the locations to make them "DX10 Ready" ... meaning all objects will show (without needing any conversions). We have almost 500 scenery locations ... so this is an on-going process and we will fix them as they come to us.  When it is fixed, you will see a "DX10 Ready" logo to the upper right of the box for the scenery location.  Just re-download the updated file and it will work for you.

(For those NOT using DX10 ... the updated files will have NO impact on your scenery locations. There is no need to "re download and re install" ... the changes are not significant for you).

So post any "object problems" you are encountering in this thread and we'll prioritize on your input.

Thank you
Doug

Update:  If a location is not DX10 Ready, I'm putting a "DX10 NOTAM:" under the zip download with the reason and what must be fixed. I'll do all of these first, then come back through and fix things.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:03:40 PM by Doug »

caseyfallen

• Official Casey Fallen Website
Re: DX10 Missing Objects
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:08 AM »
Hi Doug,

I may have located one object not showing correctly. Not sure if the object depicted below in the photo is RTMM.

I have updated all my scenery folders and the issue still exists. So if relevant to Misty, please add to your fix it list.

Item is located at CZST.

I believe it may be from the CIRP project. This may be the CIRP depot for CZST?

Thanks so much. ; )

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:30:39 AM by caseyfallen »
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
Casey,
What are the coordinates in your screenshot?
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »
Hi Casey ... no, I haven't worked on CIRP yet. I'm going to tackle that after I get all of the Scenery Page finished ... which may take a couple of weeks.  We have an addon at Stewart that is part of CIRP ... so I'm betting it is in there. But this is EXACTLY what I hope you folks will be finding for me.

I'm down to the "M's" on the scenery page. There are 4 that I have not "done" ... two are Cris Losh's and I don't have permission to work with his entries ... another is Ketchikan Harbor ... a lot of Woody's materials in it and Rod says we may not do that one ... you have to have SP1 PAKT for it to work. The other one is the new Cabins from Brad ... I haven't flown to all those locations yet. But the rest have the DX10 Ready logo on them.

NOTAM ... if someone could fly Brad's Cabins by the Lakes with DX10 and make sure they are all OK, that would really help and save me time. If you see a problem, post a pic with the coordinate and I'll nail it. I'd like to get the DX10 Ready logo on that one ... its a nice piece of work.

Here's what you want to do ... anything that has an "updated" with a 2014 year date on it is one I have CHANGED for DX10.  If the logo is there but the date is last year or before ... then NO CHANGES were necessary and to check it you don't have to download the new folder for the scenery.  Many need no changes.

So if you are "looking" ... find the DX10 Ready ones that have a date of "2014" ... re-download the folder, replace what you have with it and re-activate it. Then take a look.  It is possible I can miss one of these, but I think you'll find that is rare.

For now, "below the M's" don't pay any attention (as well as for CIRP) ... more work to do. I'm about half way through this project and actually having some fun with it visiting some places I haven't been to for a while. Also I'm "cleaning up" the html (php) on the page ... thumbnails are framed, little things like that, so the housekeeping was necessary too.  On the Misty's Place Starting Point page, there are several where I had not put in the starting points. Those are all being added as I come down the list.  So it is a lot of work and I can certainly make a mistake here and there ... that's why I really need anybody's "eyes" that have DX10 ... so I can make sure what I'm doing is working ok.

I'll keep folks posted on the project in this thread. But what you posted is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in this thread.  Now I have a "record" that reminds me to go after that one when I get to CIRP.

Thank you Casey!
Doug

And a PS for the NON-DX10 folks ... you don't have to worry about ANY of this ... you will NOT see changes that are significant (a different picnic table, etc). What you have will continue to work and you will not have to download anything.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
Doug,
I'm asking in the forums rather than e-mail because if my assumption is correct it might help others who may want to know the answer.
When you modify the destination to make it DX10 ready by substituting objects that are simular to ones that do not display in DX10 correctly this will also make the destination diplay correctly in P3D v2?
If that is the case then it seems that will basically make RTMM P3D v2 ready when that sim is updated and ORBX has provided the correct installers for their scenery which is the base we need for RTMM.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
Ah ... darn, you see through my ploy! :-)  Yes that is the "plan".  In playing a little with P3D myself (and not much) ... I find that what you can "see" in DX10 you can "see" in P3D.  If you cannot see the object in DX10, then you won't see it in P3D.  So the purpose to all this madness is exactly as you state. P3D  is coming, there's no doubt about it. If we tried to migrate some of the "old" objects (FS9) that don't show up in DX10 ... then we would probably be in trouble in P3D.  That's why I'm going through the entire scenery page taking out objects that don't show in DX10.  Although this is good for DX10 ... the ultimate goal is for RTMM to be ready for P3D or "P3D Ready". "IF" my plan is sound, when the migration is made, we should be golden (ah, but you know how plans are, right?) :-)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
Oh yeah, plans normally do work better than 'shoot'n from the hip'!  Now we only have to convince them durn meese!  ::)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »
Update 02.12.2014

All of the major scenery locations are "clean" of DX10 Missing Objects except Owikeeno (one of mine that I'm going to take some time on) and CIRP ... which is the next phase of this project.  There are a couple of locations by Cris Losh that I don't yet have his permission to alter ... so those do not have the logo.  Doug's Outfitters and Cabins on the Lakes were the last two major ones fixed up.

If you are NOT running DX10 ... none of this will change for you so there is no need to download any updated locations. (You will see no difference). If you are using DX10, then you should redownload any location that has an update in 2014.  Those folders now have all of the objects that could not be seen in DX10 (FS9 objects) replaced with those that do show properly.

For those of you running DX10 ... please don't forget this thread. If you see something out of place, let us know. It is easy to miss something when you are changing/replacing about 800 objects.  So YOU will be the final "proof" that it is ok. And we appreciate it.

NEXT is CIRP ...

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
For DX10 users who don't want to invest the time, pain and suffering involved in re-downloading and re-installing all of Doug's reworked sceneries, I am providing a complete set of converted textures that will work with your existing RTMM setup. See my post on page 5, reply #68 for information.

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=1998.60 .
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
Just for the record ...

...there are several things like this out there that might solve this problem, and I'm sure Steve's is as good or better than many ... BUT ... we are cannot recommend changing anything officially from RTMM.

Our method of solving the missing objects problem is relatively simple, we get rid of objects that don't work, put in ones that do and re-upload the scenery location and label it as "DX Ready." Changing out the objects, (making our locations DX10 Ready),  solves the problems without another "layer" of confusion for folks. So we can't recommend" what Steve is offering ... that would be stifling new ideas, and we are pretty keen on new ideas here.  People just have to keep in mind, it is "their" computer and "their" system, Anyone can make suggestions on our forum ... that's what it is for ... for idea-sharing. 

But if there is a problem now or later with P3D and the converted objects, we won't be able to help folks. We are not taking the chance of doing the conversions here at RTMM because if there is a future problem, it would really hurt the site.  We don't know how the "migration tool" is going to work for P3D, etc. Until we know (and it will be soon I'm betting) we'll take the conservative option.

So forgive us for being conservative on this issue ... but until we can see the future clearly by look back, I just don't want to take any chances with the object libraries.  This is not to say you should not use Steve's tool ... it is just saying its use is beyond RTMM's ability to help you technically if you encounter a problem. 90% of our objects are DX10 Ready, and therefore will work in P3D ... that is how we are getting ready for the transition. We just don't want to add any complications at this point.

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
Sorry. I guess that maybe there's a misunderstanding at what I'm offering to the community. What I'm offering is an option for those DX10 users who:

1. Don't want to download re-install any or all of their RTMM scenery to enjoy the many benefits of DX10. vs DX9.
2. Don't have P3D nor plan on purchasing it in the near future.
3. Fly in the FSX world outside of RTMM in locations that have been created with various object libraries that are also used here at RTMM.

There are no implications or expectations whatsoever that RTMM sanctions, hosts, recommends or supports that which I am making available to the community at large; it is simply a very simple to install, quick and easy option for those who would like to enjoy and enhance their FSX/DX10 and RTMM experience. If and when present DX10 users wish to migrate to P3D, then of course they are free to download and install whatever they need to to be up to speed. This is simply an easy stopgap for those who want it. That's all. Nothing more. I fully understand the concept that Doug has conveyed and is working towards.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »
To Steve and Doug. Steve, I didn't think you were doing any conversions to .bgl files, only texture files. Correct me if I'm mistaken as Doug's DX10 Ready fixes are all revamped .bgl files.
   That said, Doug, while updating the fore-mentioned .bgl files I encountered a problem. I was under the impression that I could just copy/paste the new 'DX10 Ready' .bgl into the old folder and overwrite. Wouldn't do it, kept keeping the old file until I cut it and pasted it.  When I went to run the new .bgl's they wouldn't load...hung up in Flight Planner. I had to delete the area, re-add the area and activate it in FSX. Then they worked. If that's what you're supposed to do it wasn't clear in your info post back in July but maybe I missed something in the meantime...wouldn't be the first time. Anyway, I thought I'd point that out 'cause that's what I had to do to make them work.
   I'm missing the Fed Ex building at PAKT (black) but I'm guessing that will return when I upgrade that Fed Ex scenery? Seems to me I had it before in DX10. This whole thing is going to drive me to drinking...with any luck at all.
   Steve, I'll contact you on those converted texture files...that would save a ton of work and your efforts are appreciated. How big are the files on average, just out of curiosity?
Jsapair

Doug

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:57:56 PM »
Hi ...

Here's how I'm changing out my files here as I move in the new DX10 folders. I'm sure there's an easier way but here is what I'm doing.

Inside FSX, I go to settings/ scenery and delete the area. I then go to where I have the addon scenery, delete that folder and put in the new one, then go back in FSX and add the area back.  Again, I'm sure there are easier ways ... but this seems foolproof.

On the black building at PAKT ... have you got the SP1 PAKT installed (the additional Ketchikan?). Curious. If so, we aren't changing that one ... also Ketchikan Harbor will not be "updated".  Let me know on that, otherwise, I've got a building to find.

And yes, all I'm doing is changing out the objects (working inside the bgl's) I am not changing textures, etc.

Doug

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:13 PM »
Hi all,

Just to re-emphasize what Doug is saying.  There is no easier way.  If you are putting in a new DX10 ready scenery from our library....you should delete the old scenery from your FSX Library and then  remove that old scenery folder from its stored location.  After that, you then replace the old scenery folder with the new one and then reinstall it into the FSX Scenery library.  Under no circumstances should you copy the contents of the new DX10 Ready scenery folder into the old installed scenery folder and overwrite.  Though that might work for some sceneries, you are pretty much guaranteed to have problems with many especially with the sceneries that support the RTMM Season Switcher.

Rod

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:35:16 PM »
Hi Doug...no I never had the ORBX PAKT, if that's what your service pack refers to. I just had the Misty's Fed Ex working hangar. I'm also missing (black again) the working hangar at Juneau. I had that problem b4 but I'll be damned if I can remember how I got it fixed, but it's back again. I think Jeff helped me out on that one. Ok, so at least I know I'm doing the right thing doing what I'm doing as far as deleting and re-adding the areas. I'm only on the 'C's so I can appreciate the time you're spending on this project.
      Thanx for the reply.

Rod, just caught your post b4 I sent this. Yeah, I learned that the hard way. And you are right...it don't work that way! Got it figured out, pal. Hmm, scenery switcher...just changed that yesterday but it seems to be working okay. I'll do a more drastic change just to be sure. But no, discovering that I needed to delete and re-add the areas was key.
Jsapair