Author Topic: DX10 Object Conversion Discussion - (Formerly "CIRP!!!!! WOW!)  (Read 388180 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Re: DX10 Object Conversion Discussion - (Formerly "CIRP!!!!! WOW!)
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »
Thanks Steve. Not having any right now that I know of but it was an ADX issue. I was getting off-color triangular patches near the shorelines that seemed to correspond with mountain reflections. They cleared up when I un-ticked that particular scenery in ADX. But now I'm going to follow your treatise on disabling ADX and doing the conversions instead. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Jsapair

jsapair

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
Steve, b4 I started doing conversions I thought I'd make sure all my ducks were in a row, so I did my first scenery test in DX10. You may have seen my post under Add On Scenery, anyway, found the new scenery tester and things look good except my snowdrift and hangar are black. My Rwy12 disappeared from FSX but re-installing it became an issue. I don't know if you're the guy to talk to about re-installing it or not...let me know. If so I'll explain further...it's a Static Objects folder issue and Rwy12 is no longer showing in FSX.
   Anyway, my question is how far do you go with the conversions? All Misty folders are no brainer's, but do you go into the libraries, i.e, Lens, Woody's, the EZ libraries, etc, and convert those bmp files? I think I'll have enough to keep me busy in the meantime. About ready to get started. Raining here in No. Cal finally so a good time to get started.
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2014, 08:14:44 AM »
Jaspair,
I saw and responded to your post in the other thread. Get RWY 12 fixed before doing anything else!
What you need to convert are the bmp. files to .ddx, (that's what the Convimx utility is for), in all of the texture folders as you note. In other words, browse to your EZScenery folder and then to the texture folder and convert everything. Take a look at the instructions that Agood and I posted above. Read them and then read them again. The screenshot will help you with the settings. As I recall, and without looking, there might be only one or 2 texture folders in and RTMM sceneries, so you shouldn't have to worry abut them. Do this for all of your object libraries. Post back or PM me if you need more help.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »
Jsapair,

I also posted in the other thread on the subject of downloading the Rwy12 object library.

Rod   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:36:22 AM by stiletto2 »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
I am in the process of uploading all of my DX10 compatible scenery and texture libraries to a private Hotmail Skydrive account. When everything is uploaded and in order - hopefully before the end of the weekend -I will provide instructions on how to access them. They will most likely be shared by sending me a request for log in and access info through a PM to registered RTMM users in good standing only.

Please note that RTMM is not hosting these files, is not responsible for them, nor can anyone on the RTMM staff provide support if you have problems. Download at your own risk with with no guarantees whatsoever. If possible, and at my own discretion and (most importantly) as time allows, I will personally answer any questions regarding them. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:04:09 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
Well, damn. Maybe I'll just wait and see what you come up with Steve, before I head willy-nilly down the conversion path. I don't know a PM from an AM but I'm sure you could help me out there, too. :)
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »
Look at the brown bar near the top of any forum page and click on  "My Messages" Select Messages/New Messages. It's like sending an email to an RTMM member through an interoffice, private mail system.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 11:24:18 PM »
Cool, Steve, thanks. Glad I didn't have to call my G'kids in to help me out. Haha. Standing by.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
Actually guys, if you click on the "speech balloon" below the avatar of whoever you want to message, it will automatically "address it" to that member.  Look below your picture (er . . . well jsapair, you don't have a picture, but anyway.  ???) on the left.  One is for sending "PM's".  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:36:31 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
Ha-ha! If it was a snake it would have bitten me! Right there in front of me and missed it too.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
A quick update on my DX10 object library project:

I've uploaded all of my basic EZ_Scenery, RWY12, etc. conversions - about 5,000 + files between the bgl's and textures! I still need to go through a number of other libraries to figure out what I need to include in the project and then write an understandable set of instructions, which will probably take longer than I originally thought. Stay tuned.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:04 AM »
FWIW I would recommend being cautious with the converted files as just downloading them and adding them to the sim could result in duplicate objects with the same GUID number being on your HD which will most likely result in problems.  The old objects that are not converted have to be removed from the sim.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Spud,
Don't worry. It's going to be a matter of moving existing libraries to a safe place for restoring in case of a screw up - as well as deactivating them before installing the new stuff. I've thought about all of this and it will all be part of the documentation. Merging old and new textures is a huge no-no. Sounds like you speak from a bad experience!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
Nah!  No bad experience, just a lot of reading over the years on ways to diddle your sim without really trying.

Question on your upload.  You mention about 5,000+ files.  I just had to rebuild my FSX due to new computer and after installing all the required libraries my total is 6991 files and because I have the OZx scenery installed per their instruction that already includes the OZx libs 1.0 and 1.1 so I did not include those libraries withing RTMM to prevent duplications (they contain an additional 3709 files)

I am assuming that your new upload is either just those libraries that contain files that require converting and not libraries that already work correctly?  Just trying to clarify what is included with your new libraries.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
The simple answer is that any texture files that are already in .dds format don't need converting. OZx is a good example, as is 99% of Tongass, (where  even the bmp's found within it seem to be OK, AFAIK.) However, that being said, something on the massive scale of 5,000 files is bound to have a few things that slip through the cracks.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support