Author Topic: DX10 Object Conversion Discussion - (Formerly "CIRP!!!!! WOW!)  (Read 388192 times)

caseyfallen

• Official Casey Fallen Website
DX10 Object Conversion Discussion - (Formerly "CIRP!!!!! WOW!)
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
Just had to drop in and say WOW! I just got ll my CIRP scenery installed yesterday and have been flying from one to another. What great scenery this is! So much fun and the detail is amazing! Thanks again Misty crew! What fun!

Blowing snow! Snow mounds! Wolfs and crashed planes! All installed without a hitch! Very enjoyable!

Sp when are we going to organize a fly through Misty together day? : D

(admin edit: updated title of post)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:39:11 AM by Dan »
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
Re: CIRP!!!!! WOW!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »
I have never flown in CIRP, but you make it sound yummy.

The GREAT people here who take the the time design I have full respect for. RTMM is indeed a place where one can get away from daily stress and simply enjoy a moment with this great hobby we share.

Misty Moorings ROCKS!
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
IE: CIRP,
flying from one to the other while entertaining and challenging is only 1/3 of the emersion.  Be sure and get the hovercraft and make those overland treks that are the real meat of emersion into the ice world of CIRP.  Just trying to get 'upslope' is a challenge of the first order and requires planning and technique that will remind you that 'out on the ice' is no playground!
 8)
Later,

Spud

Agood

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »
Agree, CIRP is amazing, definitively also when flying places. Use it with live weather in ASN, can you say whiteout?

Just wish it'd get the DX10 treatment sooner than later, there's quite a few glitches, and I miss the snow drifts!

caseyfallen

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
@Agood,

With the "Steve DX10 Scenery Fixer" and a program like "Add-On Converter X" There are no issues at all. Absolutely perfect. Really payware quality.

@ Spud, Yes, I will for sure check out the hovercraft. Sounds fun.
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

Agood

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
Ok I use the DX10 fixer but don't have the AddonConverter. Any chance you could make versions of the scenery files available that you've run through the Converter?

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
You have to have ACX installed in order to access the converted files because the application needs to execute when loading them. ACX doesn't convert everything anyway for DX10 purposes. (Don't waste your money on it like I did.) You need to run your textures through a converter such as Connvimx to make everything compatible. Bite the bullet and take the time to use this and you will be happy as a clam with DX10.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/ConvImX.shtml
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
Not being a DX10er I noticed that the program linked to by ualani does batch conversion or files.  I'm curious to know, if anybody has tried, the conversion of some of the old FS9 scenery objects that will not work in P3D v2.  I read that they have to be converted to work and if you did them one by one your going to be very busy for awhile.  If this program will do whatever conversion that needs to be done in a batch it sure would save a heap of time.   :P
 8)
Later,

Spud

caseyfallen

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
@Agood Steves DX10 Fixer does not fix the non compatible invisible files issue, this is something different. Steves DX10 Fixer only fixes the white corrupted file issue.

Ualani is correct. Add-On Converter X does conversions on the fly, there is nothing to share. On rare occasions it is not able to convert a  file, but I personally have only seen this happen for one file and I have a large amount of scenery.

I disagree however that it is a waste of money. It is a simple "set and forget" program that works. If you don't want to sit around converting files and just want a program to do it for you quickly, then ACX is for you.

I made a post in the forums on how to use ACX correctly, a lot of people push convert and have it do everything they have. Not necessary! You just check the scenery areas in the control panel for ACX that need to be converted. This will avoid any issues and make the process go quicker. 

However, If you have the time to sit and search for and convert the files that have an issue then Ualani's suggestion to use Connvimx is the way to go.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:07:55 PM by caseyfallen »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
The program I reference does do batch conversions and I converted all of my FSX textures in way less than an hour. It's a no brainier. Back up your texture folders for safety's sake then select the texture folder you want to convert and the destination folder and go. I have a huge folder of combined objects and it only took about 15 minutes to fix. My biggest gripe with ACX (besides not 100% reliable) is the fact that FSX has to load the converted objects from it's cache every time every time and it slows down your FSX load time significantly.

Spud,
PM me a list of some of the FS9 objects not working in P3D and I'll see if I have them in my converted list (or convert them for you) and you can try them out. Can't hurt to experiment a little!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Can we keep the technical discussions separate from a discussion that started about CIRP? If possible, we need to do this so we don't miss these discussions that pop up like the one here about addon converter X, etc. Just trying to keep things like that from being buried or lost since it's now at the bottom of this message that started about CIRP.  ;)

I need a list of objects that aren't showing so I can go back in and replace what I can with objects or something else that does work.

Thanks,

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
Sorry Brad, you're right. We should have had this discussion in troubleshooting. I'll give myself a spanking.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Agood

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:58 AM »
Wasn't sure whether to start the tech thread in troubleshooting or in the CIRP subforum; let us know where to take this.

One thing from memory: the office building on PAKT airport in the respective CIRP office scenery is invisible.

Then there's the snowdrifts, known issue...

I can fly to the research stations again and take screenshots - some things are obviously missing, others not so much when you don't know what's supposed to be there...

Agood

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
Ok I got me ConvImx now, running it on all .bmp texture files in my CIRP installation after having successfully test-fixed half of the PAKT CIRP office.
Will let you know how it went when it's through, but: if it should be that easy, why hasn't anyone else done it before? And: should I make updated scenery zips available for upload at RTMM?

EDIT: Fixed the PAKT CIRP office for good - will fly to all the glacier stations again the next couple of days to check them out. Also good for the Antonov-2 to get some air time! :)
Have to emphasize my offer: as it seems to be rather simple, I offer to give back any modified/fixed files for update on RTMM.

EDIT2: Yep, definitely fixed my invisible-object issues! Thank you guys for pointing out this tool, wonder why I didn't come across that one before. Here's a shot from the first legs I did today, the Antonov doesn't like the kind of cross winds you get up on the glaciers, but that doesn't matter really - it can land directly on the parking field, nose in the wind :) (ok, not done in that screenshot, but at station #10)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:09:26 PM by Agood »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
Agood,
So you have a fix for the missing objects and all users will have an updated file made by you that will fix the missing objects? Please explain how this process works.

Brad