Author Topic: Still a long way to go: PAKT  (Read 7255 times)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
Still a long way to go: PAKT
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:02 AM »
..... but, getting there !

For those of you not following me on Facebook, or on our FSAddon Publishing website, here's a first picture of what PAKT is to look like in future.....

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Still a long way to go: PAKT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Am I missing something? Mine looks like that now! ???

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
Better take a closer look then ......

... and the man's blog

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
Ah, changes to the terminal and Tower, the pic doesn't really do it justice though, why so far away?

Wildbird

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »
Looks nice man! The real image on your site surprised me a lot, I had no idea how high above the terminal the runway really is.  :o

I managed to beat the FSX Gremlins, master the Orbx Tricks, find their (and our) objects in the libraries, [..]
You do know that you can't use their library on projects that aren't just for personal use? They are a bit stricter on the use of their objects than fsaddon is...  :-\

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
Below are two screen shots of PAKT.  The first is the airport with SnoDogs and ORBX scenery active and the second is with just ORBX scenery active.  Not too much difference between the two except extra bldgs. near the water.

Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
@Wildbird..... I am NOT copying their (and mine!) objects. Not that I would care much in this case, mind you. But using 'placement bgl's' is no infringement on copyrights. The receiving party must of course have the Orbx library installed to see everything.

So I'll need (or may) to make a separate copy for people without the Orbx stuff.

@Spud.... the 'enhanced' Orbx PAKT looks more realistic than the SnowDog one..... in reality there are no buildings there.  ;)

@Avian..... I'll make 'nice' screenshots once things are more final... the terminal doesn't look THAT good yet from up close  ;D

... and the man's blog

Wildbird

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
@Wildbird..... I am NOT copying their (and mine!) objects. Not that I would care much in this case, mind you. But using 'placement bgl's' is no infringement on copyrights. The receiving party must of course have the Orbx library installed to see everything.
Didn't say you were going to do that.  :) Thing is that they don't allow that either. No use of their libraries at all. Check this out http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=22196.msg189598#msg189598, JVenema's posts.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
Which frankly I think is total BS. For a site like ours, where you can only SEE what we do correctly IF you have purchased PFJ, then what's the rule there for?  I we were building a scenery that we could put on AVSIM that could be used anywhere with or WITHOUT PFJ, then I could understand it. But in the case of RTMM, our locations are developed ONLY for those people who already HAVE PURCHASED PFJ.  But we are still not allowed to use the objects, we asked, it was denied.  I have a problem with that thinking. 

Note: at RTMM, we NEVER use the ORBX objects, that's their "rule" and we stick to it. But it doesn't make any sense for what we are doing and we should be given a pass on the rule. My opinion.

Doug

Updated Comment: There is QUITE a difference if you don't have PJF. I was flying with my son the other night, he doesn't have it yet, I do.  Sitting on the runway at PAKT, he could not see me (I was below "his" runway) but I could see him, he was 38 feet in the air sitting there waiting for me).  So without PFJ, we'd have all kinds of flying cabins, etc.  Without PFJ, the objects are "still there" true, but who want's a flying cabin, hence my original comment .."you can only see it correctly with PFJ".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:59:18 PM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion about the ORBX library policy in many forums and this is a classic example of the case of 'it will not work unless you have ORBX scenery installed, not exactly the case.  BUT the ORBX policy of NO use of their objects is very easily seen with this particular airport.  ORBX has announced that they are going to offer PAKT in the near future.  If there is freeware using their intellectual property (IE: library objects) that would effect sales of their airport.

The ORBX libraries are not payware, they can be downloaded free from ORBX support and if installed on your HD the scenery objects would show without any problems even though you do not have ORBX payware scenery installed.

If ORBX objects are used in freeware or payware that are distributed in any manner they will object.  If the scenery is used exclusively for your personal use then they do not object.

Francois, if you have any ORBX objects in the PAKT your working on I would recommend changing them for other models to avoid any problems.

Personally I'm in the the, I have ORBX installed and it should not be a problem, camp but then I'm not in business like ORBX.

;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:42:39 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
I'll only say something about that this ONCE ( I don't want to mis-use your nice forums).

Even if that is their rule, and I'm a stickler for rules in general, I am NOT sticking to that 'rule', for two reasons (actually three, but I won't mention the third *grin* ):

1) I cannot read whatever mr. Venema types on his site, because he banned me from day one. Reason why I am not visiting any of his sites anymore, obviously.

2) they use FSAddon objects in 'their' libraries as far as I can tell (when I disable Tongass Fjords, the Tongass objects on Orbx PAKT remain visible, miraculously)
(yes, copyright Bill Womack and others, publishing rights FSAddon Publishing).

And, for Tongass Fjords (and other projects), we explicitly ALLOW other designers and users to use the objects in 'placement mode'. Reason is that we're simmers ourselves and working in a hobby industry.
Not that we really HAVE to, because there isn't any legal precedent for their claim and mr. Venema has been watching too many Big Brother movies maybe.

So there..... expect a wonderful PAKT in future without any copyright infringements, and certainly for a lower price than anything the competition will come up with... free if need be, even.

:-X :-X :-X

... and the man's blog

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

Personally I'm in the the, I have ORBX installed and it should not be a problem, camp but then I'm not in business like ORBX.

;)

Quite. But I am, and Orbx is deliberately targeting MY business (think Misty Fjords X and think Emma Field X) and trying to get me out of it.

I'm a stubborn Dutchman with 35+ FS years under my belt, and it ain't gonna happen ;-)

... and the man's blog

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
For those of you interested in the technology and issues in getting a better PAKT, we took the discussion over to FSDeveloper.com, click here.

... and the man's blog

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
Francois,
after reading you post about the SnoDogs buildings not being near the SPB at PAKT I finally got around to disabling those .bgl files in the SnoDog scenery and now just the "enhaced" ORBX PAKT is showing per your comments.
 ;)
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
You know, the trouble of having been in a place in reality sometimes tales away the fun of fantasy. I now KNOW what PAKT looks like and have trouble accepting it's model not looking correct  ::) ;D
Maybe I shouldn't have visited  ;)

... and the man's blog