Author Topic: Strange taxi effects in northern lattitudes.  (Read 4205 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Strange taxi effects in northern lattitudes.
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
Keep forgetting to ask about this but can not seem to figure it out.  I have a modified effects file that eliminates the rocks/ice chunks kicked up while taxiing on unsurfaced terrain. The screen shot below shows this with a taxiing Beech 18 in Mobile, AL

(Click to enlarge)

The next screen shot shows what happens when I move location to northern latitudes.  This is in Valdez, AK which I believe is default scenery north of Pacific Fjords and Tongas X.  In fact I even moved the A/C to Spokane, WA (KGEG) because that is outside or any ORBX scenery I have installed, but in a northerly latitude.  It also happens at that location.

I have checked with ORBX, TogasX and SnoDogs scenery all disabled, it still happens.  Why would the effect show on hard surfaced airports at all?  This was not happening when I first did the modification to the effect.

Scratching my head, might just have to have a beer to figure it out!

Later,

Spud

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Strange taxi effects in northern lattitudes.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity is that the Aerosoft Beech 18 or wossname's freeware one? (Brian Gladden or Milton Shupe)

The former is FS9 and the others are also converts AFAIK
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think that's a snow effect, you can reduce it drastically with the flusifix thing you posted about a week or so back.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
Just out of curiosity is that the Aerosoft Beech 18 or wossname's freeware one? (Brian Gladden or Milton Shupe)

The former is FS9 and the others are also converts AFAIK

This one is by David Carroll for FSX with permission of Milton Shupe and Scott Thomas.  It comes with an FSX installer and works fine with Acceleration and there is a prop fix for those with only SP2.

A/C:
 b18dc05.zip

prop fix:
beechfsx.zip

Both at AVSIM

The repaint is one of three in a package also from AVSIM.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:15:03 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think that's a snow effect, you can reduce it drastically with the flusifix thing you posted about a week or so back.

Thanks for that info I'll check it out.

But the problem is why would it appear on a hard surface runway unless it were snowing?  I'll change seasons and check that out as I have only been flying in the real season as offered by FSX (Feb. winter in the north)

(Hoisted on my own petard, forgot about Flusifix but will have a go.)
 8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:14:24 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
Aha! all better now.
Kim, it was the snow textures and Flusifix did a trick on them, thanks for the reminder.  A small amount of the effect is still there but much reduced so you can at least see the airplane.  I checked with summer textures as well and there is no effect on paved runways during warmer climes.  The no rocks/dirt clods mod still works for unpaved terrain as well so I'm satisfied with the results.
In Flusifix it is in the Other category and is no. 11 if you want to get rid of all that blowing crud.
 8)
Later,

Spud

CAF440

• USCG DSF Lt. Dist 9
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 01:14:55 AM »
Careful N of the 60th in FSX. Temps will cause a nasty whiteout effect around your AC no matter if airborne or on the ground. Same actually happen in RW up here and that means flight called off. Unless you want a mech chasing you with a sludge hammer :o Mech's are very protective of there assigned aircraft and hate -40F.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:16:28 AM by CAF440 »

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:29 AM »
... Mech's are very protective of there assigned aircraft and hate -40F.

Oh yes indeed we are! Our planes need warm hangars!
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)