Author Topic: MY P3D Experience... So Far.  (Read 77821 times)

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
MY P3D Experience... So Far.
« on: November 30, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Everything went very well from purchase to install.

The P3D sim is Smoooooooooth...  amazing IMHO. 

The shots here are with FSGlobal 1.20 installed and since I have installed REX4 into P3Dv2. Both programs went in without a flaw.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:12:22 PM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: MY P3D Experience... So Far.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
Hi Robert,
Thanks for sharing your experience with P3dv2. The Textures tearing looks strange. I hope you'll get this fixed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:37:21 PM by corbu1 »

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
Robert,

Hope you get that texture tearing fixed. I appreciate all the early adopters sharing their experiences here so those of us that jump in after will know what to do.

Thanks

Brad

dexthom

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
My initial impression was very good.  Orbx global installed very easy.  I installed Tongass by putting a copy of fsx.exe in my P3D folder and then using the registry fixer so that it spoofed Tongass when I directed the Tongass installer to my P3D folder.  I had to put the terrain.cfg entries in manually and also the airport elevation entries manually.  My thanks to Holger who gave me those tips.  My AI works with the exception of the Tongass floats.  I am still trying to figure that out.  I pull a consistent   30 fps but I don't have all the sliders maxed.  I do have the water at the ultra position.  Opus works just fine.  You just have to select P3D as your sim.  I found that if I start Opus before P3D, the sim would CTD.  No problem in starting P3D first and then Opus.  I have  both Anchorage and Fairbanks by Aerosoft and have both installed.  Everything is smooth for me and I don't have a super system.  Intel i7 990X @3.45 Hz, 12 gigs Ram, EVGA GTX 560 Super Clocked, 2 Gig Ram.  P3D will use most of your processors cores always keeping one for the OS.  I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit.  The sim has some quirks when you port older aircraft but there are usually ways to get around them.  I love the water effects and when you fly into a cloud, you are in there, not drive through thing like FSX.  Just remember that you will have to tinker a bit to move you old stuff over.

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:31:12 AM »
I have found the problem with the ground textures, It has to do with the use Tessellation with my graphic card.  All I did was turn it down a bit.   :)
Keep The FSFaith People

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:00 AM »
Robert,

. . . I appreciate all the early adopters sharing their experiences here so those of us that jump in after will know what to do.

Thanks

Brad

That's what I was sayin'!  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Robert,
I need to ask the obvious .... What the hell is "Tessellation" and how would it be adjusted?  Google in this case is NOT my friend!  :o
 8)
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uavLefzDuQ
Tessellation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A tessellation is the tiling of a plane using one or more geometric shapes, called tiles, with no overlaps and no gaps. In mathematics, tessellations can be generalized to higher dimensions.
Some special kinds of tessellations include regular, with tiles all of the same shape; semi-regular, with tiles of more than one shape; and aperiodic tilings, which use tiles that cannot form a repeating pattern. The patterns formed by periodic tilings can be categorized into 17 wallpaper groups.
In computer graphics, the term "tessellation" is used to describe the organization of information needed to render to give the appearance of the surfaces of realistic three-dimensional objects.
In the real world, a tessellation is a tiling made of physical materials such as cemented ceramic squares or hexagons. Such tilings may be decorative patterns, or may have functions such as providing durable and water-resistant pavement, floor or wall coverings. Historically, tessellations were used in Ancient Rome and in Islamic art such as in the decorative tiling of the Alhambra palace. In the twentieth century, the work of M. C. Escher often made use of tessellations for artistic effect. Tessellations are sometimes employed for decorative effect in quilting. Tessellations form a class of patterns in nature, for example in the arrays of hexagonal cells found in honeycombs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:48:38 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Dieter

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »
Nvidia Tessellatation:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

Tessellation is a key feature to Direct X 11 and OpenGL.

(FSX is basically running Direct X9, so FSX users cannot take adcantage of it)

Dieter

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:39:09 PM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »
Tessellation works a hoot in P3D. It makes all the eye candy come alive.  I think my problem with the ground textures is due to a older graphic card with this feasture and P3D calls for the latest tech card to perform at its best, which simply means time for a new one. Will it be a Radeon or Nvidia that is the question. I have a Radeon at the moment and it runs P3D and FSX well. But its all about Tessellation these days.

At present I am thrilled with P3D and the smoothness it creates. The autogen seems more dense and the clouds you fly through are amazing.  The good people over at Lockheed Martin really took to heart the meaning of " as real as it gets " to new heights.

Now all that is needed is P3D to become RTMM compatible and a DH Beaver...of course.   ;)
Keep The FSFaith People

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Ah ... makes sense after reading Dieter's link.  Yup, my card is DX11 capable but FSX ain't gonna use it due to age and incompleteness.  So until I switch to P3D, (a long time down the road, at least til ORBX gets on the stick with installers. No I'm not using the Estonia installer as that voids any support from ORBX), I'll at least know what the term means.
Thanks for the links etc.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
Are ya'll using P3D in lieu of FSX or in conjunction with FSX??? Inquiring minds, etc.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
Having just gone through the long drawn out process of re-installing everything FSX due to new computer I certainly am not in the mood to start all over again with P3D v2.0   :-X  particularly when ORBX has no installers written for their software except FTX Global at this time.  :-\  I'm very content to bide my time and wait out all the growing pains and bumps that will rear their ugly heads.  But then I did the same for FSX after all it is entertainment and I'm not entertained trying to get software to do things it was not meant to do in the first place.   ???
FSX and I have come to an understanding it is flawed, so am I, so we just exist in a mutual admiration society and respect one another's flaw and warts.   ;D
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »
I don't feel the need to rush into this either...I just got FSX DX10 working satisfactorily. What I would like to know for future reference from those who took the plunge, however, is how are 3rd party AC and sceneries installing and working, and are RTMM sceneries compatible? I think I'll wait for the "Prepar3D V2 for Dummies" manual to come out first...and the installers. I do tend to think that Lockheed could do a better job on a flight sim than MS did though.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
ORBX/FTX has started a brand new P3D v2.0 support forum on their site.  As I never planned on using v1.0-1.4 I made it a point never to access the forum for P3D to prevent filling my old head with knowledge I would never use.  I am considering v2.0 at a much later date after the shakeout is over, so I will follow casually the new forum for v2.0.
I see that already there are some problems with incorrect textures popping up in P3D v2.0 and ORBX has already admitted they have a problem and are "working on it".  Like all new things problems are popping up here and there so I believe I'll just let the new adopter guys work it out and perhaps slide in after the smoke and dust settles a bit!
Later,

Spud