Author Topic: Question for Brad or community about scenery...........  (Read 14221 times)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Question for Brad or community about scenery...........
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
Hi Casey,

Yes there are always gremlins about.  I know when I started the process of putting Acceleration on top of my already updated FSX (at the SP2 level), I realized I might have to restart installing FSX from scratch if things went south.  However, it did work.  Here is the main glitch that keeps you from just installing Acceleration on top of your current FSX installation:  Acceleration includes SP2 so it will not install on top of an installed FSX that has already been upgraded to SP2. 

Here is the procedure I used to install Acceleration on top of FSX SP2 (keep mind I did this almost 2 years ago so hopefully I am remembering the key steps).  Unfortunately, I can make no promises about your success as everybody's system is a little different.

First I did a complete backup of my FSX folders and set ORBX FTX Central to default (not sure this is necessary but force of habit when installing non-ORBX things to FSX).   I also backed up my FSX user storage locations such as C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ since Xcel Pack installation will reset the control.xml, fsx.cfg etc.  Then I deleted SP2 via Control Panel/Programs and Features.   I then installed Xcel Pack right after without restarting and then ran FSX.   All of the addon dll's have to be accepted again when aksed.  I then ran the default flight to make sure it ran.  I then exited FSX.  At this point I was basically done.  Note: I also had to later reinstall Tongass Fjords FSX to properly repopulate the terrain.cfg which Xcel Pack changes. Also,  Xcel Pack installs some new scenery areas to the top of the scenery library which I moved down below the Orbx library entries once I had changed ORBX back to North America.

Those are my tips but of course your mileage could vary.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Rod

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
Hi Rod,

Was planning to install on top. Figured that was how it was meant to be installed. Any tips are very much appreciated. I am sure there are gremlins awaiting.  :-\

Nope, can't install it on top needs to be removed first.  Search the web for info about it.  I bought FSX Gold to start with as it comes with Acceleration.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Casey,
I just recently installed Acceleration on one of my FSX setups and it screwed up my terrain.cfg. When I loaded FSX I had no water showing anywhere for some reason! Panic time. Poking around I discovered that the install overwrote my existing one. Fortunately, I had recently backed up my entire FSX partition and was able to pull off my good terrain.cfg, stuck t in and all was fine. Funny thing is that my other Acceleration installs went with no problems. Go figure. As I recall, you'll need to uninstall SP2 before installation. To be safe, I'd do a total FSX backup before installing ACC. I'm sure that if you Google Acceleration FSX install, you'll get lots of tips before diving in.

One more thing: be sure that you backup your FSX.cfg because you'll get a new one during the install.

Note: Just saw Rod's post as I was writing this. Sounds like he had a slightly different experience with a few things than I had, so if you back everything else up first you can start from scratch again.   (I don't remember having issues with Tongass.)
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

caseyfallen

• Official Casey Fallen Website
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Thanks guys! I will definitely do my research. I am so glad you guys told me all this. It will make this a little less painful for sure. Very much appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Casey
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

caseyfallen

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »
UPDATE:

Hi Guys! So I got Acceleration finally. The post office said they attempted delivery. But they didn't. So I paid for expedited shipping for no reason. : / Barely got it yesterday, rather than Friday. Oh well.

First, thank you guys for the tips. Without them this could have been soooo much worse.

I am going to make a new post later tonight or tomorrow about my install experience and share what I learned and what happened. But I wanted to update you all on the outcome of the missing textures to close this thread.

So here is what happened. Once I got Acceleration installed, everything appeared! Alas! So the missing textures for FedEX are from acceleration! I also had textures appear at Nina's Landing. I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot more around the sim now. : )

Will make a new post in the general forum about my install experience, impressions of Acceleration, performance specs, and more very soon!

Thank you all again!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:24:45 AM by caseyfallen »
Computer Specs: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge - E / 3.6GHz, Cache Memory 10MB L3 cache, Liquid cooled. Memory is 32GB of RAM, Video cards are 2 x 3GB AMD Radeon/Saphire HD 7950, Hard drives are 512GB Samsung Pro SSD Main Drive and a 60GB back up SSD. Also have 2TB HDD hard drive and 500GB HDD

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
Casey,
glad you 'found' the missing items via acceleration.  Just graphically points out why the list of items are labeled Required for the complete RTMM experience.  In fact while we were discussing the FedEx structures etc. I was in the midst of re-installing all the RTMM sceney in my new system.  While looking at what my sim showed at the various FedEx bases I was at first mystified when Wrangell looked completely wrong and things were out of place.  Then it dawned on me that I had not yet re-installed Tongass Fjords X where the airport scenery is located.  Can't remember how many times over the years I have installed a scenery location and then could not see it in the sim.  Oh Drat! ya have to add it to the FSX Library ya big dummy!  So never fear we all have or create problems when it comes to this hobby!  ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 12:33:31 AM »
Casey, get Acceleration and be done with it. I thought you did that already.
Jsapair

caseyfallen

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
Jsapair? I did. Look at my last post made before Spud.

@spud. Yes, just glad to have figured it all out. : ) Thanks so much for the help.