Author Topic: DX10 Fixer Released  (Read 23903 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
DX10 Fixer Released
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Steve Parson's DX10 Fixer finally hit the market. The product description vastly underplays the features of DX10 vs DX9. Sorry, for those who still use the 10 year old XP OS, it isn't supported. Windows Vista, 7/8, 32/64 bit. Windows XP not supported.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

See also:

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/beta-tester-feedback/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421396-dx10-fixer-finally-released/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:22:29 PM by ualani »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: DX10 Fixer Released
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:31:37 AM »
Great News! Thanks for the heads-up!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
Yes, thanks!  I've got it installed, and flew around Miami X 2012, New York X, and FTX Juneau so far.  There are still the black squares under some planes, but looks good besides.  I probably still have some settings to monkey with.  But it looks pretty good right now, with all settings pretty much maxxed (except mesh res at 5, of course).   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
I am hoping to see a full review from Ualani or someone on whether a correctly installed DX10 fixer....fixes all.....until that time.....sticking with DX9 for flying....but.... I am building all new scenery under DX10  to make sure it looks good in DX9 and DX10.

Rod

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
I just put it in ... the first things I went for was my "street lights" that didn't turn on at night and the red and green marker buoys we've used for the river runs ... both are now operational!!!  I played with Instant Scenery, looking at what works. Some of Woody's stuff works now and some of the EZ scenery stuff works (although some still does not).  I'm running "standard" ... no tweaking or changing from what the program sets up. So I've got a lot of exploring to do yet.  We will still have to replace some of woody's piers (that are used often) because those still do not show up.  But I'm seeing NO problems with night lighting, clouds, etc....(so far).  But I'm far from "expert" on this ... we'll wait to hear from Ulani and the troops for sure on this.  I'm just thrilled to have the buoys back ... we have thousands of them placed on the river runs.

Update: also note now I am seeing reflections of instruments in the side windows of  the Ceranado King Air ... never saw that before. So there is a lot more going on here.

All of the AI planes now have "paint" on them (not gray ghosts).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:34:38 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Rod,
It won't "fix it all", nor claims to. According to Steve Parsons, if I understand a few basics correctly, there's a lot of airports, sceneries, etc. that were created for FSX that used old and inefficient coding, some going as far back as the FS98 SDK. Apparently there's no way of fixing those kinds of things. He goes into great lengths about how developers could correct these things if so motivated. 99% of it is way over my head in understanding. Read what he has to say about various limitations and coding issues here:

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/dx10-situation-check/

OK - now for what FSX DX10 DOES do for MOST users. Remember there are always those who have problems with ANY - I repeat - ANY software - due to the untold hundreds of thousands of systems, addons, configurations, messed up registries, blah, blah, blah - you name it! And therefore ANY software will have it's naysayers and detractors. (Check out the EZDOK or TrackIR forums for just two examples to see what I mean!) And there are those who refuse to take the leap just because they have ONE aircraft or ONE airport that doesn't render properly under DX10, therefore throwing the baby out with the bathwater and then go about trashing it up and down.

Here's some of what it's done for me. I'm running an I7-950 OC'd @4.2ghz.

Eliminated OOM errors and crashes. (Due to shifting some of the CPU load to the GPU.)
I've been able to push my sliders much farther to the right than I ever could in DX9 without out sure fire, guaranteed OOM's. This alone, if nothing else, makes DX10 worth it to me!
99% stutter free, resulting in smoothness not possible when I run in DX9.
I've seen over 10 FPS increases - and more - in most places I fly in DX10 vs DX9.
Even when the FPS start to drop in heavy scenery areas (PAKT), flight remains very smooth.
Beautifully rich water and clouds. No comparison to DX9. Hands down.
VC shadows that are not possible in DX9 - although I haven't played with that in the Fixer yet.
The ability to eliminate most of the hit and miss, crappy, FSX.cfg, shotgun approach tweaks. 
The ability to set higher wave animation settings with little frame rate hit.

What I've noticed after only about an hour or so of "Fixer" test time late last night.

ORBX lights fixed in the 2 or 3 airports I tried.
Missing night textures fixed. Can't vouch for ALL at this point, but the broken ones I noticed before now work.
Haven't checked out missing AI aircraft textures yet.
As Jeff mentioned, PAJN still has problems with black squares under some of the aircraft on the ground. I'd be willing to bet this will be addressed in the near future.
I can't vouch for the DX10 problems with FTXG at this point. However, I haven't read one single comment - pro or con -  about it NOT being fixed. I'll give this a go at sometime in the near future when I install it.
You still have to configure various settings in Nvidia Inspector and a few in FSX.cfg.
Switching between DX10 and DX9 is seamless.
There are some who are having various problems with the Fixer that seem to be related to their unique situations. (Related to my thoughts above.)

I'm sure others will chime in with their impressions as well as the jury deliberates.

Bottom line, (for me): If you don't mind OOM's, stutters, limited slider values, less color vibrancy, wave settings, etc. etc.  then by all means stick with DX9 and don't waste your time. Is it a perfect, magic bullet? NO, nor does it claim to be.

Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
Doug,
Can you tell me which of the Woody's piers you'r having trouble making display? I'm curious to see if the Conmvix converter fixed them independently from the Fixer.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
Thanks, Steve for the information.   I really only need it to make everthing work in ORBX land.   Hoepfully the black squares at PAJN will be addressed quickly.  I will stay tuned.

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
I really only need it to make everthing work in ORBX land.   Hoepfully the black squares at PAJN will be addressed quickly.

Rod

Ya, me too for the most part. I have a few personal Quebec/Ontario bush stuff that I created with IS that is now working AOK.  (I just read over at Avsim that the FTXG black squares issues have been fixed, so I imagine PAJN is on the list of "to be" fixes. Fingers crossed.)

"Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:36:23 PM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
Good luck with this. I'm staying in DX-9 for that price.

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
Pretty much the same price as just one ORBX airport or a meal out for 2 people. And you'll be hungry again within a few hours! ;D
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
I'll wait and see how the community either embraces or rejects this utility. I'm happy with DX9 for now

Brad

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »
Just a quick review. It addressed my navigational buoy issues...I've got them now, flashing buoys big time. I was also having issues with rectangles in the water of a different shade. It didn't fix them but they are less pronounced, Also, in the DX10 controller, the water shades option is grayed out? No explanation in the manual. Lots of tweaking available, apparently, but for an overall out-of-the-box run, with no tweaks, I like it so far.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
Doesn't a "grayed out" option mean that you've already got it installed?  That's what I heard. ???

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 02:36:29 AM »
That could be it, Jeff. I installed his previous patches. Have to let things settle down and see what the consensus is in the long run I guess.
Jsapair