Author Topic: The Last Resort at Bear Island  (Read 2728 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
The Last Resort at Bear Island
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »
We are placing a fine resort complex on Bear Island in the Chitina River near the glaciers. We are trying something new, letting you "follow" our progress on the project.  If you go to the scenery page and click on "Z" ... it takes you to the bottom of the page. This is where we'll have the "alpha" and "beta" updates to keep you up to date on our progress.  The actual bgl's won't be available until the whole project is rolled out, but you can see the Trip Ticket to it (finished) and the readme on The Last Lodge (finished). The Trip Ticket will get you from Wasilla (PAWS) to the new Bear Island Airstrip.  And you will learn a lot of history and geography along the way.

We are now working on the area "around" Bear Island ... adding many cabins that actually show on the charts as well as other interesting things for you to go find and enjoy. We are going to take advantage of the small airstrips in the area (fixing them up a little for you). We are also adding 3 landing strips that are on the charts but not in the scenery. These will be simple dirt or grass strips but located where the actual ones are showing on the sectional. There will be campsites (simple tents and structures) that you can fly to and drop off campers. And we will have a couple of these up on the glaciers for those who want to try out their "ski" plane.

If you have suggestions as you watch this develop, they are most welcome. If we are missing something or something is not correct, this is a great time to add your input and feedback.  Also for anyone interested, if you are "flying" around the area and see something where we should put something, again, let us know.  So if you are interested in seeing what is coming, go to the Scenery Page and click on "Z" ... we keep it updated when we make changes (almost daily).

Doug

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:11:26 PM by Doug »

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
Re: Coming Soon - The Last Resort at Bear Island
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:23 PM »
Very cool!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »
AWESOME! Excellent project as usual... My whirlybirds and floaties would be happy to have new scenery to hover and explore to.. 8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:37:25 AM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Doug

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
You will have some fun with the whirlybirds with this scenery set. Almost all of them have a helipad and if not, there is very flat terrain for you nearby.  I put up a prelim "map" now in the readme ... you can see how much there will be to see. Also there are 9 nearby airports to start at.  If there is a factory on the sectional, I'll put it in! Love building those things. So I couldn't pass up the Kennecott Copper Mine. Yes there is a helipad, and I extended the road so you can land a tundra there (but hold tight to the rabbit's foot!). There are only 4 locations to finish, then QC, then it comes to you.

D

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »
Seems I well be heading to Bear Island soon.   :D

By the looks of Kennecott Copper Mine, landing a Tundra Cub will be fun..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:29:16 PM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Doug

The Last Resort at Bear Island - Added 09.08.2013
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »
The Last Resort is up and ready for download. There are two parts of this (you'll find them both under "L" one above the other on the scenery page). The Last Resort is all on Bear Island, about 10 places to visit just on the island, good for helicopter pilots or land vehicles, since everything is connected by road. In the Chitina-Kennecott surrounding area package, we add 20 more locations to give you places to fly to in the area. Many of these locations are "real" from the Alaska sectional, cabins, "lost" landing strips, etc.  The attached map will give you some idea of the complexity of the area we've added surrounding The Last Resort at Bear Island.

This is a "more difficult" package navigation-wise and landing-wise. Other than the trip ticket that gets you from Wasilla to Bear Island, there are no guided flights ... just maps showing the approximate location of the entries. You will have to figure out how to get from "here to there."  There are many airstrips already in the package from SAK, but we've added 4 more. So there are plenty of places to fly "to" for "from" to reach the multiple locations.

I'd suggest you keep the "readme" handy for the Chitina-Kennecott area package. Landings are not going to be easy. Many are "tundra" ... as Spud found out, an amphibian can tip over on some areas because the landings are not always level.  Also, the "lakes" that show up near the rivers are not lakes, they are muddy, sandy moraines from the glaciers. So it may look like you are going to land on a lake, but you will be landing tundra near the cabin or mine, etc. The readme gives you a hint as to the type of aircraft you'll need and the best approach.  There are "starting points" for all locations so starting there and flying FROM there to one of the strips is a good way t get started. That way you will know a little about the terrain so when you come back to land you will know what to expect. For the heli pilots, this one is going to be fun ... lots of landing pads (probably too many, but fun). But be careful where there are no landing pads (Doubtful Creek), the terrain is not level and you can chip a blade for sure!

We've used two new technologies in this from Instant Scenery 3 ... we've put in dirt and gravel roads on Bear Island and at the Mine site.  These are pretty "bumpy" if you use a vehicle and try to "drive" it. But if you "slew" it all works fine and you can get the feeling of being on the ground as you explore the two areas.  We also used the new "water polygons" that this package allows.  Rod took out the "shoreline" that is in SAK, which allowed us to make some water landing zones and connections to a couple of the locations without the "sand bar" of the shoreline between.  Interesting that everything freezes (all lakes, all rivers) except where we have put in these new water polygons, they do not freeze in the winter.  (Maybe there's a hot springs nearby these?).

These two packages should give you many hours of enjoyment of learning a new area.  Enjoy

Doug
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:37:59 PM by Doug »

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:42:22 AM »
Another masterpiece  8)

I just flew with my trusty Bell 206 Jetranger over The Last Resort and the rest of Bear Island exploring up close various POIs through hovering approaches. This place is definitely a helicopter haven with lots of helipads and some challenging for confined space operations and slope landings.

Definitely among the must-see and visit places especially for helo pilots  ;)

Can't wait to explore its surrounding areas and nearby Kennecott Copper Mine...

Kudos to Doug and the RTMM team.. Simply impressive!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:51:35 AM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

retep49

• Daily Flightsimmer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
Fully agree with Trex, this is a must have for heli-pilots and beautiful made. Thanks to the team who make this possible.

Peter