Author Topic: DX10 Discussion Thread  (Read 530531 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: DX10 Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
You know, if we stick together on this and keep throwing digital life rings to each other, we may actually get this thing to work! :-)  I'm betting, as Steve said, when the new Fixer comes out for DX-10 a lot of this will go away and we'll be able to use this more smoothly.  But in the meantime it is fun (sort of) learning about it. 

At RTMM, I'm still going to slowly go through our scenery files and try to get rid of the old objects with textures that don't show and replace them with newer ones that do, just replacing a picnic table for a picnic table ... DX-9 folks won't notice a difference (unless they are really attached to a picnic table or like the 2-sided outhouse with orange paint)! So when the "fixer" does come out, we won't have any strays that wouldn't even work with that.

When I "redid" Big Falls Hydro (I still have a missing cabin there to fix) ... the rocks were totally invisible. They didn't show the DX-10 "missing blue" texture. They acted like the "Predator" in the movie ... if you moved them, the background moved letting you know they were there.  I tried the "black" fix, it still doesn't go after those 'invisible' objects. Not a problem, but something to keep an eye on as you cannot see them ... you have to rely on the "list" in Instant Scenery to find all of them.

So, one step forward (I think ... we will see what "breaks" today that will keep me up tonight!)

Doug

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
It couldn't last, had to find something screwy today with DX-10....and I did.  This is the second time I've seen it ... both were where the gen_waterfall object is.  The "fix" is to save your flight, default it, then exit FSX and reload fsx and go to the default scenery ... and the big blue box is gone.  I've been around some of the other waterfalls in the area and the problem does not ALWAYS happen, but both times it did, the waterfall was there.  Changed out the picnic table, bench and outhouse and we have another "DX-10 Ready" scenery package at Labouchere Saw Mill Complex.  There were a couple missing cabins over at the saw mill, as here, those are all replaced with different ones. So you get a screen shot that is totally screwed up with a huge blue box ... ah but then you come back and check again and you've got a postcard at the same waterfall. Maybe I'll spend the afternoon here fishing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:54:03 AM by Doug »

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
OK DOUG, i reply a screen with the same coordonate,    wait  à moment  may be tomorrow   ;)

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
This is the same place  Coordonate tomorrow i take the the waterfall

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
Doug,
I can't see that this is a DX10 issue. It looks like an elevation issue.Is there some kind of terrain or water flatten in that area? DX10 doesn't have anything to do with terrain.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
Hi ... you have to have Labouchere Saw Mill Complex in there to see it. The correct coordinates, putting you in the water facing the waterfall off the dock are:

Lat: N56 15.98
Lon: W133 37.21
Heading: 139
Altitude: 0
Speed: 0

Use the "MAP" and it will put you right on it.  Tonight I'm seeing a beautiful waterfall again. As I said, for me it comes and goes.

D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:52:45 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
Question for those who "know" ... why does an object sometimes not show in DX-10? (I place objects, I don't know anything about making them). Is there a software that creates these that doesn't work in DX-10 and another one that does? Just curious, your thoughts?  Also, has anybody played with the Scenery Object Designer program that is out?

D

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
As nearly as I can deduce from what I've read, it has to do with the way textures are created by the author of the object. I don't know what the differences are however, or why some work and some don't. I imagine its like you surmise: it probably depends on the software that renders the textures. Running the textures through utilities like Convimx seems to do a good job with most of them -  making them compatible - as does AddonConverterX.

Are you wondering about the Instant Object Studio utility? I've wondered about it as well, but it looks like its above my pay grade. There's some RTMM scenery designers who know a lot about designing fabulous custom objects. I wonder what they use?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »
Hi Ualani,

Instant Object Studio (IOS) is one version of software that allows the user to create objects for FSX.   You can pretty much count on a fairly steep learning curve no matter what software is going to be used to create FSX 3D objects.  One advantage of IOS is that you can see how the object looks in FSX as you create it.  One disadvantage is that, though it is pretty versatile, there are limitations in what you can do.   Also, the interface can be a little flaky and unstable at times though it has probably been improved in later versions.  I don't use it at this point.  Besdies that, it costs money.

I should point out that I am fairly new at doing FSX 3D object creation.  However, to make sure that you are able to look at a picture and create an object that is similar without limitation, I would recommend using some type of generic 3D model building software ...even if there is no direct connection to FSX.

Here is a simple summary of one method (there are a few other complexities that I won't go into here):

I use SketchUp (so does Xavier).  It is free thanks to Google and now Trimble.   The user interface is pretty good and it is quite versatile.   If you want to see if you are cut out for building models for FSX......download SketchUp and build something.  This is the most time consuming part of creating objects for FSX.....building the model to look like what you want.  First you build the structure and then add textures.  There is some artistry involved....the more you want it to look like "the picture", the more artistry is involved.

Once you have a model built, it can be exported to a COLLADA file (.dae).  When SketchUp exports the .dae file (which is the model structure), it also exports the textures that were used to "paint" the structure.   Then the .dae file and the associated textures are imported into Model Converter X (also free thanks to Arno Gerretsen) which is a general Model Converter used mostly in the world of FSX.   Besides being a converter it also is a model viewer and has many secondary uses which I won't go into here.   Model Converter X can be used to convert the .dae file and associated textures into an .mdl file (which FSX understands) and .dds textures .

That should give you some idea of how some object builders do it.   There is more to be done once the conversions are complete to assemble the object library etc.

Hope this helps answer the question of what some scenery designers use to create object models.

Rod   

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
The DX10 fixer is due out this week. According to a couple of beta testers, it will be all its been cracked up to be plus much, much more and DX10 can't be called a "preview mode" anymore. If nothing else its a no brainer if you hate DX9's OOM's and larger dependence on processor vs GPU, virtually eliminating stutters and allowing better FPS.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
Steve, I trust you'll give us all a 'heads up' when that's released? I'm getting some DX10 water anamolies I didn't have before, i.e. rectangles of different color shades close to shore. If the release is coming soon I'll just wait b4 messing with it further. I'll check the NOTAMS, thanks.
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:23:16 PM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »
I am having a problem in DX10 mode.  I thought I'd post about it and see if anyone had a quick answer.  I am getting graphic glitches like crazy.  I don't know what graphics settings I should have set on my system.  I am using Radeon Pro graphic profile utility, but don't know what settings to use for it.

They start after a few minutes of flying, and get progressively worse.  I use an ATI Radeon 7970 card.   :P

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
jeff3163 hello look at Température CG for first

did you clean frequently your CG?

or do you have UTX CaN coverage, if yes  disable it

Good look Picasso's Screen  ;D

Neptune

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:18 AM »
What is "CG"?   ???

Yes, I have UTX Canada.  But it's already disabled.  I will check for rogue files after work.  :-\

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P