Author Topic: DX10 Discussion Thread  (Read 530526 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: DX10 Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
They've moved some stuff at the Avsim DX10 discussion board. Try this:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387343-the-how-to-doc/
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »
Thanks Jeff and Steve ...

I've put a link to the AVSIM discussion thread. (I had just put up the pdf for our folks, but now I've taken that down as if we stick with AVSIM's we will always have the "latest" as they are adding to their documents all the time.  So try the new link on the RTMM FAQ page to go to those latest documents.

Doug

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Here are some screenshots showing the difference I'm seeing with and without DX10 on the water. The first one is with "Preview DX10 OFF", the Second is with the Preview "ticked".  Note ... all of these are with REX turned off, so there is not water texture enhancements for these. They are "as is."  If you add in REX or OPUS textures, the effect becomes really amazing.  But this seems to be the "difference" they are discussing in water.  With this added detail, my frame rates have lowered a little, but I backed off on some graphics settings and brought them back up. This is with a water setting of "MD x2" ... if I go "Max 2" then the reflections of the mountains show up in the water (3rd Pic). This does bring the frame rates down, so I'm sticking with the "MD" setting on water. The fourth picture is "MD" setting and shows the "reflections" you can get with the waves.

Since we spend so much time low and slow over the water, for me this is an important difference. For the high fliers, I doubt they would notice.

PS ... when I say "without DX10" I'm obviously saying "using DX9".  And I didn't do any color PhotoShopping ... just the beveled border and the text is PhotoShop ... so the colors you see is what I'm seeing on my monitor. The latest "tweaks" are in my log on the FAQ Page (Zip button). Don't forget you can click on a picture to get a larger, more-detailed picture.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:50:01 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
Doug,
This will be of interest in case you've missed it. It's from the  DX10 developer's blog. Talk about stunning!

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/07/

Check out his other blog posts when you get a chance.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
Wow, that site is a treasure trove.  So much to learn ... and some folks have done a great job being pioneers ahead of us.  Thanks Steve. (PS, I'm in Atlanta until Monday, I'll get a link to this site up on our FAQ page when I get back).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:48:38 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
Update ...
There is a zip file called: ShadersHLSL.zip  I got it from the AVSIM forum. The file in this replaces the ShadersHLSL folder you have in FSX. (Be sure to rename the old one) then put this one in.  I got all of the textures back that I was missing for the night textures. The Big Hydro building is now there, along with the hangers at Misty's Place. I also got all (I think) of the textures back on the AI aircrafts that were white. So now all those textures work with this fix. One SETBACK however. We use many of the little red and green navigational buoys for our waterways. Those all turned blue ... that's the bad news, the good news is the red and green lights on them still function perfectly at night, flashing red and green.

Before the shader was added, I also noticed tonight that I lost all the little "street lights" we've put in. They don't turn on at night. This is minor, but an aggravation. Lights are a real problem in DX-10.  The only lights like that that work are big airport floodlights that cover an area. These look pretty good at night, but they are still "on" in the daytime and it looks funny.  If anyone knows of a streetlight object that works in DX-10 let us know. I'm tracking any tweaks and changes I make in the DX-10 Log you can get from the FAQ page. You can download the zip file from there. I've also attached it here. (Don't forget to rename your old one ... you might not like this one)!  Again, This new shader has NOTHING to do with this street light problem ... this was a problem before I put it in. I was hoping it would fix the lights....it didn't, it just fixed all the night textures and AI aircraft textures.

This is really a "spooky" program (DX-10).  For someone (like me) who hasn't a clue what he's doing, it's like mixing a magic pot with ingredients I've never heard of.  It is wonderful to get the night textures on the buildings back, but then I lose the textures on the buoys.  Magic ... I'd be a terror with a wand!

Sorry about the low light on the pics, but dusk is when you can see the shader working. On the buoy, the light blinks, but the buoy is blue even in the daytime. You can also see the "floods" I'm using at Misty's Place ... they look good at dusk and night. Just screwy in the daytime.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:41:12 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Doug,
A few questions and observations. Which buoys are you having problems with? I converted all of my textures to .dds and maybe the ones you are having problems with will work when converted. I checked out the buoys in Misty's Harbor at night and they illuminate fine for me. (I forget what library objects they are.) If you give me the library name(s) you're having trouble with and when I get a chance I'll cross-check my versions with yours.

Also, the street lights at Misty's place illuminate the ground for me, but the light bulbs don't shine. Do you happen to know by any chance what texture the bulbs are? Also, the smoke textures flash at night for me at certain angles.

Can you tell me where the location is for your bottom screen shot? I'll check my .dds texture with the one in your screenshot.

FWIW, the ShadersHLSL file from AVSIM is absolutely vital to the whole DX10 experience and the core of the 3.2.2 DX10 fix. It's discussed in the DX10 "How To" guide.

Also, FWIW, the upcoming and highly anticipated DX10 fixer utility is supposed to fix all night texture problems. To quote: "[It] corrects most, if not all "grey texture" issues, white aircraft issues, aircraft and ground lighting issues, water colour, and so on."

And from the DX10 Fixer creator himself:

"The aim of the product is to resolve the issues that cause some add on scenery to appear grey in Microsoft Flight Simulator X DX10 Preview mode. It can also deal with add on aircraft that similarly appear grey but support in this case is more limited and has limitations when it comes to night lighting.

As well as this it bundles all the DX10 fixes that I have published to the Avsim Library into a combined easy to install package. This includes the flashing runway fix, disappearing bridges fix, Virtual Cockpit shadow improvements and more."

It might be worth saving ourselves a whole lot of time, aggravations and frustrations to just wait for it and not try to micromanage every texture and object substitution.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »
Steve, you are absolutely correct. The "trouble" trying to make this work isn't worth the result. Last night, for no reason that I could see, I lost all the water textures in DX-10.  If I have the water effect turned "up" everything turns to "white" like ice. If I take it down to "1" it is turquoise with very tiny waves and no reflections. (Both attached for example).  I went back to the old shader folder, same problem.  So I think the best advice for now would be for people (like me) to wait until something comes out that makes DX-10 user friendly.

This 'experience' was worth the try. My frame rates were amazing as were the graphics ... but then it quit. And if it does you are hanging there all by yourself ... not a lot of help available.  So for me, I'm putting it on the shelf and waiting for the new "fixer" program and we'll see how that works.

Doug

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
Doug,
Maybe its moot at this point, but I've had the same thing happen to my water textures - turning to ice - a few times. I chalk it up to the textures not loading fast enough. I've "fixed" it by going to the scenery folder on the FSX menu and then exiting immediately. For some reason it reloads the textures almost immediately and cures the problem. As I said, its probably moot, but if you have a go at it again, follow the DX10 guide to a "T". It isn't for the casual user who expects a quick transition to DX10. Also, make sure you study and experiment with the NVidia Inspector settings.

Hopefully the DX10 Fixer will make this all moot as well.

PS Have you had a chance to try the latest revised Beaver sound files I sent you?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Steve, Spud might be better for the sound files than I am. Maybe we could get him to take a look and see what he thinks.  We really depend on him for QC.  I keep screwing up! :-)  Just not trying to get FSX back operational again.

Those buoys are everywhere ... that one was at Misty's Place.  I had tried NOT to use the converter because I was trying to see which objects were "obsolete" so we would know not to use them in the future. 

I still feel good about all the work I've done on this. When/If DX-10 starts to work, we will have a lot of old object files out of the sceneries.  Learned a lot.  I'm a ham radio op, one of the most important things I learned when getting my Extra Exam was NOT to open the radio and try to fix it. I know what is "in there" is beyond me ... so off to the repair shop!  This is kind of like that. I really got a good look at the potential for it (and will gladly try it again when the new program is out) ... but it is too touchy for me.  I've got to keep my home platform pretty stable because of all the new things the team is making.

Let's see if we can get Spud to weigh in on the sounds.

D

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
Doug,
When I get a chance in the near future, I'll send you the sound files and a revised doc. file. Please send it along to Spud for review.

Just another aside, I misspoke in my last post about "fixing" the water textures by going to the scenery menu and exiting right away. I should have said to go to the options/settings menu and exit right away. (Just in case someone else reading this has the same problem.)

(BTW, I caught your post at the DX10 forum over at AVSIM regarding the lights issues.)
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Steve, you are absolutely correct. The "trouble" trying to make this work isn't worth the result. Last night, for no reason that I could see, I lost all the water textures in DX-10.  If I have the water effect turned "up" everything turns to "white" like ice. If I take it down to "1" it is turquoise with very tiny waves and no reflections. (Both attached for example).  I went back to the old shader folder, same problem.  So I think the best advice for now would be for people (like me) to wait until something comes out that makes DX-10 user friendly.

This 'experience' was worth the try. My frame rates were amazing as were the graphics ... but then it quit. And if it does you are hanging there all by yourself ... not a lot of help available.  So for me, I'm putting it on the shelf and waiting for the new "fixer" program and we'll see how that works.

Doug

Hello

Doug do you change  with the BKG.BMP 'Steve ??  the black color ???

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

Doug

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
OK, I found that, and I see what it does. I don't mind the blue, but the black is easier to spot when there is a problem. Inside the shader zip somewhere is a folder called Bonus, but it only shows up in a "temp" area. (I zipped that folder and attached it here). Inside that are three little programs/scripts/bats.  One is Water v1.0.0.  If you run that little bat file, it fixes the problem I outlined with the water turning to "ice" (White) and the water turquoise. The other two files help with the dark background texture (which you've pointed me to) and the other one is the DX10Lights Release 2.0. 

I ran the water.bat program ... and all the water is "back" ... waves and all.  So that solved my problem whatever was causing it.  But this is a handy folder to stick in you DX-10 back pocket for whenever you might need it. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. When I did a search for this, it was in a temp folder, I didn't see it in the ShadersHLSL folder, not sure where they came from?  Again folks, if you know as much about this as I do ... stay away from DX10! :-)  Everytime I do something I get an unexpected result. Went after the black.bmp and fixed the water ... oh me! If you love a mystery, join the DX-10 fun!  If you'd rather get a good night's sleep and not worry about FSX, then avoid DX-10 totally! (I was up till 3 am last night before I gave up on the "ice" :-)

D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:59:24 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
Holy cow! Somehow I missed the PatchWater40 file! DOH!

Thanks guys!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
YEHAAAA

Welldone   ;)

Nice screen  :)

My water DX10 SJP >>> Juneau this morning

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]