Author Topic: Building a new Computer For FSX ???  (Read 5066 times)

Rangerick

Building a new Computer For FSX ???
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:49 PM »
When you do a new build, there is always the question about "What Settings Should I use" ??  (at least for me anyway)

Having built a new machine (I5 3570K) a few months ago I was fortunate to find the definitive Tweaking Guide for the latest computer hardware...  by "Kosta" on The FlightSim Forum.

Passing the link along in hopes it will help you as it did me !!  My FSX is fast + smooth with NO stutters.

You'll find it as the 2nd  'Sticky' under the "FSX" Heading in their forum.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

Rick / Canada

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Re: Building a new Computer For FSX ???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »
I, too, did a new build for FSX. i73800 with the GTX 670. If it ain't broke don't fix it was my attitude. But, I found that the computer settings were not what ORBX recommended. As per my computer my sliders were set to max. My mesh reolution was set to 30...ORBX recommends 5. Go with the ORBX settings...helped me.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
The setting from ORBX are based on their scenery, which will work best if followed.  Using setting other than what ORBX recommends while flying in ORBX scenery will probably result in anomalies as shown in many complaints that were solved by using the correct settings.  Remember the setting only apply to FSX and do not carry over to other programs/games so that Uber sharp shoot em up scenery still works fine when you jump into that world.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Rangerick

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
Let me clarify...

Kosta's Tweak Guide deals with fsx.cfg settings... NOT the FSX slider settings recommended by Orbx.

I use the recommended ORBX settings as well... but run Kosta's fsx.cfg settings behind those.

P.S. His settings are designed for Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge systems with a Nvidia GPU.

spirit_66

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:22:18 PM »
....Kosta's Tweak Guide deals with fsx.cfg settings... NOT the FSX slider settings recommended by Orbx.
I use the recommended ORBX settings as well... but run Kosta's fsx.cfg settings behind those......

To make it clear: The fsx.cfg represents the slider settings in FSX. There are no two different things! You can see this if you change a parameter in fsx.cfg which is represented by a slider, that the slider position has changed too. Some parameter in the fsx.cfg will be overwritten if you only save the settings in FSX. Well known for this ugly behavior is the parameter TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096.
Regards from Chiang Mai (VTCC) / Thailand

jsapair

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth and agree with Spirit. The .cfg settings ARE your slider settings. A tweaking tool changes your .cfg settings, thereby changing your slider settings. I used a tweak tool that re-set my mesh res to 30...ORBX recommends 5. My high-powered 'puter and the tweaker tool chose those settings but they're not what was needed for the ORBX sceneries. Gave me fits. Shorelines were flat, RTMM sceneries were not generating as they should, all because the tweaking tool re-set my mesh res slider to an unacceptable level for the scenery packages. I run an Intel i7 3800 and an nvidia 670. My recommendation is to run the ORBX settings...not your tweaker settings. Like I said, my 2 cents worth.
Jsapair

spirit_66

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:11 AM »
To change anything in the fsx.cfg I only use now a file editor which may be notepad etc. Since I know many of the important parameter I avoid to set sliders in FSX. It took me a while to get this knowledge but there are so many very good threats in different forums with advice from Kosta, Bojote, Nick etc. One can learn a lot about FSX and its internals.

To find out the right settings and tweaks is a long task and needs patience in trial until the PC and FSX are in the most possible harmony.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
FWIW RTMM scenery is based on ORBX and Tongass Fjords X scenery areas and are developed using the recommended settings.  If you choose to ignore the recommended settings and have problems with RTMM scenery locations you certainly can not expect 'special support help' to correct anomalies that will occur.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Rangerick

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
Geeez...

Sorry... I didn't mean to start a 'War'   ;)

I found that Kosta provides really good explanations for his recommendations and I thought some folks might like to read it if they weren't aware of it.

I ONLY used Kosta's Tweak Guide to help set up FSX when I initially loaded it on to my new "Ivy" build and to get FSX running nicely with the new hardware.

That was BEFORE loading any Addons like ORBX, Tongass, Aerosoft etc..

Then... once I got a 'clean' FSX running well... I loaded all my Orbx scenery, RTMM, Aerosoft scenery etc.  and then set the 'Sliders' to 'Fly' it according to the recommendations of the particular software  I'm flying eg. Aerosoft Tahiti-X requires different settings than Orbx.

Information is Good and I'm always looking for new things to try. 

P.S.  As recommended in the forum, I found the "Photography" settings in Color Management to be amazing !!

Thanks

spirit_66

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
Unfortunately there's a misunderstanding about a well tuned FSX and the correct settings for ORBX or any other scenery. A well tuned or well tweaked (whatever you like to say) FSX can run with any scenery setting and don't worry to adjust anything as it is recommended from the producer of the scenery.

Especially the high demanding sceneries need a powerful system and why not tune up FSX to the best? I like to have a tweaked FSX and I like to have the scenery settings at the best and it works fine.

For me this is a big part of the hobby FS. Flying with standards is boring.

jsapair

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
There's no 'war' Rangerick. You posted a question. There's an immense amount of knowledge between the folks here who, including myself, are just sharing what we know to be true after many hours of trial and error and headaches. You're not obligated to take any of it as Gospel...we're just trying to answer your question by means of our own experiences. Take what you want from that and incorporate it into what you know and make your own decision. Peace, Bro'...but you can't have my Bud Light.
Jsapair