Author Topic: Motherboard failure - Reinstalling FSX help  (Read 8106 times)

tphelps

Motherboard failure - Reinstalling FSX help
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
I'm coming here for advice on this matter, since I know there are some very savvy folks here at RTMM. Here's the deal--I upgraded my system about 6-7 months ago, but recently had all the chassis fan headers fail. Since the board was still under warranty I rma'd it and have basically started over again. The new board arrived and is now installed, everything is back together, and I've formatted the OS drive and reinstalled Win7-64. After updating BIOS, installing all the latest chipset and GPU drivers, and updating Win7 (what a job!), I'm ready to get FSX up and running. (I'm using the rebuilt system now.) Here's my dilemma--I'm lazy! I have all of FSX previously saved on a separate SSD, however, by formatting the OS drive and reinstalling Win7, I realize FSX is no longer operational, even though it has been saved on another drive.

My question (finally!)--is there a way to get the previously saved FSX up and running WITHOUT completely reinstalling FSX, SDK, Acceleration, Orbx, RTMM, etc? Or, is it necessary to start over with a totally fresh install of FSX, et all? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Like I said, I'm lazy! And I'm dying to climb back into the cockpit as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted
Corsair Obsidian 650D chassis, AMD FX8350 4.6Ghz, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, Corsair Hydro H100i, ADATA XPG 16GB 1866 DDR3, Gigabyte Windforce OC HD7870 2 GB, ADATA S511 120GB SSD (OS), ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD (FSX), WD Caviar BK 1TB (Data), OCZ Fatal1ty 750 PSU, Asus Xonar Audio, Win 7 Pro 64

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Motherboard failure - Reinstalling FSX help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
In a nutshell, you'll need a reinstall of your basic FSX, Acceleration and any sceneries that have their own installers (ORBX, Tongass, some payware aircraft, etc.) Some of these things write information to your registry. Some of your basic addon scenery files (RTMM) can be ported over if you know what you are doing. You can port over folders from your backed up FSX to the new install if need be. Particularly your effects, scenery/world/scenery, FSUIPC (modules), gauges, and a few others that escape me right now. Also you should be able to port over your C:\Documents and Settings\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder that contains your FSX.cfg. (I can't remember, but you may need to reconfigure all of your keyboard and joystick settings??? ARGH!) Another biggie is porting over your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder which contains your scenery.cfg file. Make sure you maintain the same relative drive and folder locations in this install that you used on your backed up FSX or things could get dicey in a few places. You're probably going to run into a few glitches and error messages along the way, but I'll see what I can do to help you along. I've done this several times. This is the "lazy" way to do it. If you want to spend the time to do it the right way, then look here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398023-avsim-software-and-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Follow the PDF link in the top post.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

tphelps

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
ualani,

Thank you for your detailed reply. This is pretty much what I have expected. I did save the (C:\Documents and Settings\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder that contains your FSX.cfg) and (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder which contains your scenery.cfg file). And I have already designated the FSX drive with the same drive letter as before.

I've done this a few times too, but I've always freshly installed FSX and all add-ons from scratch. But it is, as everyone knows, a lot of work. So this time, I thought I'd seek out a viable shortcut.

One thing I remember is that FSX SDK is tricky to install properly. I know there's a pretty good guide to SDK--I'll have to locate that.

Meanwhile, it would be very useful if there was a "Repair" option for FSX, like Windows has. Then it would repair or replace the files and registry entries necessary, but leave the rest of FSX and add-ons intact. But, alas, I don't know of any such feature.

Thanks again. I suppose I'll get to the task of loading FSX from scratch.  :(

Ted
Corsair Obsidian 650D chassis, AMD FX8350 4.6Ghz, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, Corsair Hydro H100i, ADATA XPG 16GB 1866 DDR3, Gigabyte Windforce OC HD7870 2 GB, ADATA S511 120GB SSD (OS), ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD (FSX), WD Caviar BK 1TB (Data), OCZ Fatal1ty 750 PSU, Asus Xonar Audio, Win 7 Pro 64

tphelps

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Also, Thank you for the AvSim links. Excellent!

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Actually, I think there is an FSX "repair" option, but I've never used it.  Maybe someone else can chime in here, or try a Google search for info. Also, I don't remember having trouble installing the SDK beyond the standard install. Maybe I just got lucky!
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:23 AM »
Hey guys,
     I just changed my CPU, reinstalled my Win7 OS and am rebuilding my FSX world.  You can only "repair" fsx if it's INSTALLED on your system.  So, it has to have been on there already and "registered" for it to be able to repair itself.   And you have to have activated it online before a repair can be performed.  That means at least one startup of FSX before repair is active.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so. (I tried to repair mine, as well as several other programs that have repair.  They only repair if properly installed first.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:00:18 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
I've always wondered what "repair" actually "repairs"?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »

it wakes up the elves hiding in the FSX black forest!!!  ::) :P
 8)
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

It re-installs itself (FSX files) over the original installation, rewriting all the files for FSX.  I think it also re-registers the dll's, and rewrites registry values.  It does NOT delete anything.  So, it's only good if you've accidentally deleted or corrupted some core FSX files somehow, I guess. 

About the SDK installation, when I did mine it refused to appear in my FSX menu bar.  I found out that it was not "activated" in the dll.xml file.  I changed the <Disabled> True statement to <Disabled> False, and now it shows in my Tools menu. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:51:56 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

tphelps

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I've been hammering away at "rebuilding FSX world", in between other responsibilities. What a daunting task, as FSX/Orbx/RTMM gets larger and larger. I would like for this to be the last time to do this for a couple more years.

One thing I would like to explore this time around is DX10 support, as I'm reading of real break throughs in this area. That should add more realism and stability to the experience.

When I get everything installed and operational, I'll take a flight out to Misty's Place. Beers will be on me!

Ted

tphelps

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
I've been rebuilding FSX/Orbx/RTMM for a couple weeks, and the last two nights have taken some lovely test flights. It takes time to get the small details and tweaks just right, especially when one doesn't have huge blocks of time in which to delve in and get it done. Anyway, the sim looks great and is very smooth and stable, but I'm noticing that my frame rates are a few FPS lower than I was enjoying previously. I'm not having 'slide shows' or stutters, as the sim is nice and smooth with max settings. But the lower FPS just bugs me. I know it's all in the details and tweaking. You know what I mean--'AffinityMask=84', 'Texture Max Load=4096", 'HIGHMEMFIX=1', 'ENB' or no 'ENB', weather settings, etc.

Even though I have 16GB RAM I want to try 'Memory Clear' (I think that's what it's called) that Doug has found useful in another thread, although I'm not having any crashing issues (knock on wood!)

It's all fun. I enjoy tweaking and fine tuning my system and FSX anyway. Meanwhile, it sure is good to be back in the air again, and enjoying the lovely Misty Moorings.

Beers on me tonight at Misty's Place!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »
Yay!  Congrats, Ted!   8)  Yes, that CPU is great.   ;)  (am loving mine)  :P 

I also have 16 gigs of RAM, but recently have experienced OOM errors a couple of times  while flying around (Maxxed out sliders, etc).  I have not had any issues while using the "Cleanmem" program.  I would recommend cleanmem to everyone.  It seems to work for me.   ;)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:53 AM »
If your sim is smooth and stutter free the best advice is do NOT chase FPS unless you really like doing nothing be trying tweak after tweak with little or no better results.  As for slider position ORBX does not recommend that they all be maxed out and that very well could be the problem with slightly lower FPS.  Look at the manual that comes with ORBX software and set your sliders to the recommended positions for best results.  Search ORBX forums for John Venama's suggested tweaks and you will see there are only a very few he advises to use.  I have read and tried most of them at one time or another because I have a very old and minimal system but most have been assigned to the waste basket long ago.
Having a gazillion FPS doesn't really help the sim run any better, smoothness is the key parameter you are looking to achieve.
Using unlimited FPS will also hinder performance because trying to achieve maximum frames just wastes CPU horsepower.  Most folks seem to have good luck with 30 FPS locked.  On my system (old) I use 20 FPS locked and still see smooth stutter free performance except for intensive areas like KSEA   
or Anchorage where it grunts a bit but that is understandable.
PS
I'll have a Moosehead at Misty's Place!
 8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:42:20 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »
I found that tweaking my FSX.cfg with suggested NVidia Inspector settings essential to a smooth and stutter free experience. Tweaks work if you know what they are for and how they fit with your system and are willing to experiment a bit. Keep them lean and mean! The system tphelps has should scream. And (sigh) OOM errors have nothing to do with total system memory.  There was a post somewhere around here a little bit ago that addressed this, (VAS), along with a color tweak, but you can find the essence of it by reading here:

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/PDF%20bestanden/FS_Guide%20for%20FSX%20DX10%20en%20DX11_Avsim_1-2013.pdf

I used to get them ALOT (and almost chucked FSX out the window) before starting from SCRATCH, installing FSX in a dual boot configuration and then PROPERLY tuning my system. Time consuming and painstaking, throw in DX10, and what a difference in my whole FSX experience.

My 2 cents.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

tphelps

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great responses. When I say that I have my FSX sliders "maxed out", I don't mean that every slider is jammed to the right. I mean reasonably maxed out, as in Orbx recommendations plus aircraft ground shadows and water 2xhigh (something like that).  The sim continues to run smoothly with frames locked at 30 and no studders. I flew from Chilliwack to Tipella (what a great little scenery!) again last night, and then from Felts to Bonners' Ferry to inspect the area prior to the new Orbx release of 65S, and everything was buttery smooth. Very happy. Now, I haven't loaded My Traffic X as yet and the skies seem nearly empty, even with Orbx AI NA traffic, so will probably install tonight. Anyway, the system seems to run FSX beautifully and the slightly lower FPS is just one of those little things that bugs me. Not worried about it, but will chase those few frames, nonetheless.

I know that FSX can only use about 4GB of memory due to its 32-bit limitations (wouldn't a 64-bit sim be nice?), but based upon Jeff's and Doug's recommendations, I want to try MemClean. "An ounce of prevention" you know.

Jeff: This processor is a beast, as you certainly know! I feel like I could run FSX, Photoshop, CAD, 30 Firefox tabs, and edit videos, all at the same time! I haven't tried anything like that, of course, but it can mult-task like nobody's business. It's a screamer! Love it!

Misty's again tonight!