Author Topic: FSX (RAM shutdown) -- fix?  (Read 6614 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
FSX (RAM shutdown) -- fix?
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
I have always had a problem with FSX shutting down now and then in mid flight ... I've got FSUIPC giving me a "saved" flight every 15 minutes, and that, of course helps the frustration of trying to get back to where you were.

I've found a program that may have solved the problem. It is called CleanMem and can be found at:

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

I could easily get my ram into the 55-60% used area ... and that's where I was shutting down. I put the program in last night, flew from Sitka to PAKT to Seattle and had NO problems and the RAM stayed in the 30% range the whole trip. (For my computer, this is almost unheard of!).  The only problem I encountered was with the "script file" being written by Plan-G.  I guess what this program does is limit what is being written to the hard drive. So I have that to work on or "deal with." But flying without crashing the computer was 3 hours of pleasure!

More to learn with the program, but so far, it looks like a big help in handling the "out of ram" problem.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: FSX (RAM shutdown) -- fix?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
I'm trying it Doug,
It couldn't hurt, right?  I have 16 Gb RAM, and a 3Gb video card.  I've got a RAMDrive for my temp directories, and FSX and Windows are on SSD's.  What else can I do to make this thing go?  (Oh, it does go alright)  More is better, I always say.  "Super Computer".   :o ??? :o ::) :P  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Tried it again for another 2 hours...ram went to a high of 42%...but I pushed it with FDDiscover and Plan-G. (I was running at 60%+ when it wrecked before). I am not coming close to that percentage now. Still no problems...amazing.  Also, this time Plan-G ran perfectly. I'm still holding my breath on this one, but I'm gaining confidence in it.  Half the time I spent in the Cabins page was in reloading FSX. You have to slew a lot and change positions...it ate up the ram. I just thought it was something I had to live with...maybe not anymore.  I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has luck with it.  Keep me posted, Jeff.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Well, one thing's for sure.  It doesn't help me with higher frames through the Tongass Narrows. I'm still seeing 5-9 fps with all local addons loaded.  Oh, well I guess I forgot Misty's Yacht club, which is a known issue.  But even without it, I am in single digits.  With the addons turned off I was getting 13-15 fps through there.  I was flying my Beaver at @85 knots, autopilot holding her at 500 feet MSL. 

I noticed that it is very "noisy" going through there.  How many sound files are embedded in the PAKT area?  I know that Misty's and Nina's Landing have ambient sounds.

I did change my "fiber_frame_time_fraction" setting in FSX.cfg from 3 to 2 clock cycles.  That alone, I think, nearly doubled my framerates in less populated areas.  It increases the texture loading from once every 3 cycles to 2 cycles of the CPU clock.  My textures load much faster and smoother now.  I was seeing 75-100 fps over southwestern Australia this morning, but that's like flying over the ocean. LOL.  Not much to see there.

Don't set it too low though.  The CPU has other stuff to do besides load textures.  I'm staying at 2 for now.

edit:  I was just reading a conversation about that tweak (on another forum), and the consensus was that after SP2 the tweak is no longer relevant.  Oh well.  And now I've got to go look up someone named "Bojote", as they seem to have some fsx.cfg tweaker that was being raved about.  Man, this is fun.  ;)  What was the date on that thread anyway?  I should'a checked that out.  ;D

Ok, I looked up Bojote and came up with a website.  Sure enough, it is  site that will analyze, tweak, and recommend settings in your FSX.CFG file.  You upload a copy of your fsx.cfg file to the site, and in seconds it spits out a corrected version that you can download and use.  It is worth a look.

Here's the link:
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:17:05 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

tphelps

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
Doug, this looks like a great find. Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to trying it as soon as I get FSX up and running again (see my post on "Motherboard failure...")

Jeff, our systems are quite similar, except you have that MONSTER video card  ;D, so I like to pay attention to what is working for you to make FSX run at peak. Usng a RAMdrive is an interesting idea. Actually, FSX was running very well until my 6 month old mb failed recently. Oh my! I love this new CPU, btw.

Ted
Corsair Obsidian 650D chassis, AMD FX8350 4.6Ghz, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, Corsair Hydro H100i, ADATA XPG 16GB 1866 DDR3, Gigabyte Windforce OC HD7870 2 GB, ADATA S511 120GB SSD (OS), ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD (FSX), WD Caviar BK 1TB (Data), OCZ Fatal1ty 750 PSU, Asus Xonar Audio, Win 7 Pro 64

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
FWIW, there's a very comprehensive guide to setting up FSX, and especially your FSX.cfg, here written by the AVSIM Hardware and Operating Systems Forums Manager - probably the #1 or #2 FSX guru out there - here: http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf. While aimed at setting up FSX to PROPERLY run under DX10, it also covers general FSX and system settings. Some of it is somewhat technical, but if taken a section at a time if your are willing to take some time to find what works in your particular situation, it can do wonders for your FSX experience. (It contains a good explanation of the fiber_frame_time_fraction=xxx setting, which is still relevant, and I quote:

"FFTF is an addition to the cfg file, and determines the fraction of the CPU time given to the scenery loader in relation to the time spent rendering. Frame rate will improve as this number is reduced toward 0, however, if run at 0, the CPU has progressively less, or no time to load textures as memory load increases and frame rates drop. The faster the CPU, the lower this number can be, because a lesser fraction of the CPU clock time is required to successfully load that scenery.
Much like BP=0, (Buffer Pools) this tweak is dependent on the balance of the system, and so expecting that lowering the FFTF will always result in a frame rate increase is somewhat of a misconception. Default is 0.33. The lower the number, the better the FPS, but this may also result in ground textures blurring, with loss of autogen. Good settings – start at 0.2 and lower it from there. Experimenting is the key here."

BTW, running FSX under DX10 is the biggest thing happening within the hardcore FSX community right now and a breakthrough application for implementing it is about to be released as soon as beta testing is finished. http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Setting up my system to run under DX10 by following the guide made a world of difference to my whole FSX experience, and the speed and visual differences have been tremendous. However, it isn't something you can play with for just an afternoon and expect optimum results. It takes time and patience, but the results are stunning.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
Thank you ... as I'm moving toward DX10 also.  I'm already seeing we might have to fix some textures here and there (the outhouse object we use only has two sides and is orange ... I'll probably start with fixing that one!!!!)  Taking your advice and looking at the information in the pdf.

In the meantime ... the new CleanMem program is working splendidly. Flew another 3 hours this morning and the RAM stayed at 35-40% with Plan-G, FSDiscover and REX wide open.  I've never been able to do this before ... so this thing isn't a placebo.  I am VERY pleased with it.

So now, off to "learn" some more about running FSX under DX10 ... thank you ualani.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:30:44 PM by Doug »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
Ya, the texture fix thing is a pain -  especially if you install new object libraries. Gotta try the mem optimizer. 

BTW, I wonder if it would be possible to add user system specs to a profile that shows under your name when you post something. It could help when helping others with problems and questions. Just askin'.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
Added the things they suggested for DX10 (saved all the old stuff!!!). Runs very smooth, I'm impressed with the graphics.  Mostly now flying from Sitka to St Maarten ... trying things along the way. The leg this afternoon was trouble-free in DX10 with the CleanMem ... I didn't mess with the memory tweaks ... above my pay (skill) level and it looks like I've got it fixed with CleanMem.  Frame rates are good and holding right at 30 as predicted.

You could add your computer information in the "signature" are of the Profile .. would that work?

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
Do a Google search for "Dataram Ramdisk download".  It is free if you only want a 4Gb or smaller ramdrive.  Once installed, allocate 4096Mb (if you have extra memory, I have 16Gb) to the RAMDisk.  My second computer has one that is only 1024Mb in size, because it has 8Gb of RAM, and I don't really "do" much on that computer.  RAMDisk will create a drive in your RAM chips, unformatted and unallocated.  Go into your computer's drive management and initialize the new drive.  I named mine drive "R" for . . . well, you guessed it.  Then set your computers "environment variables" temp location to R:/temp.  There are four of them.  Two for global temp and tmp, and two for local temp and tmp.  Reboot.  Verify that the new RAMDisk is present in Explorer.  Then set your Internet browser caches to the RAMDisk.  VERY fast browsing now.  Never "use" your RAMDrive for programs.  It's just for the caches.  Don't try to load and play a game on it.  Remember, it's your RAM.  You can ignore it, forget about it.  It will now be working in the background, every time the "temp" directory is used.  Sweet.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:02:57 AM by jeff3163 »

Doug

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
Sounds like a program I would have tried (hell, I'd try anything to fix the problem I had!). But I'll stick with the CleanMem for now.  The great thing about this forum thread is that for anyone having a similar problem, there are multiple solutions to try and think about.  What tickles me is over on the AVSIM forum, the techies are bashing CleanMem ... "it can't work, lots of programs like this, placebo...etc." Yet I can attest with MEASURABLE proof that the program (for me) works perfectly.  I was running 60% ram as it slowly crept up and was crashing at 61% and now am continually in the 35% range with NO PROBLEMS for over 50 hours! (I used to crash once an hour or so).  This makes FSX a pleasure!!!

So I'm taking a long flight from Sitka to St Maarten ... over Tulsa right now ... not one crash this whole trip. Also, DX10 is performing just fine, no glitches yet.

tphelps

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »
Do a Google search for "Dataram Ramdisk download". . . It will now be working in the background, every time the "temp" directory is used.  Sweet.

Jeff, I've heard of Ramdisks before, but now that you've spelled it out so clearly and are enjoying the performance boost, I might have to give it a try. Thanks.

I use my SSD's for cache or scratch disks for programs such as Photoshop, but Ramdisk sounds like a great option for overall temp/cache files.

Between Ramdisk and CleanMem, this thread has proven to be a treasure trove!

Ted
Corsair Obsidian 650D chassis, AMD FX8350 4.6Ghz, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, Corsair Hydro H100i, ADATA XPG 16GB 1866 DDR3, Gigabyte Windforce OC HD7870 2 GB, ADATA S511 120GB SSD (OS), ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD (FSX), WD Caviar BK 1TB (Data), OCZ Fatal1ty 750 PSU, Asus Xonar Audio, Win 7 Pro 64

Doug

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Here's an update on DX10 and CleanMem .... I made the changes in the FSX.CFG for DX10 suggested (up the thread) in the PDF at AVSIM. Very informative document and "dynamic" ... they are changing it as they learn. I stayed away from any clocking or changing of the memory (I am leaving the memory part up to CleanMem and clocking is above my pay grade). Of course I saved my old FSX.cfg so if/when I go back that way, it is ready to run.

I've now flown many hours using both DX10 and CleanMem ... 99.9% positive experience. I didn't run into one glitch with DX10.  Granted, I was flying 5000-15,000 feet on this trip ... so any details down in the scenery would not show up.  I got excellent frame rates, which remained on the targeted 30, the frame images were very smooth and bright.  So all the way from Sitka to St. Maarten and no problems except one tiny one ... the strobes are screwy at night on the landing lights of the plane. (Attached). If this is all that goes wrong, I'm pretty impressed.  (and this is pointed out in the above-mentioned document).

There is more experimenting to do.  I'll now start working at our "low and slow" levels at RTMM. I already know there are some objects that are a problem. There is, however, a program available that helps you find and remap them ... but not going there now.

As I mentioned to some other folks, I'm doing this just "looking over the horizon" at something that might come at us (DX10). I'm not recommending it ... it is beta and much more needs to be done. But at least I'm familiar with it and intend to learn even more about it.  If the the DX10 world comes upon us, we will be ready.   But in this process, if you are having a problem with FSX shutting down from "high ram usage" (My screen would go translucent gray with the circular spinning icon then the program would shut down) ... we have found some potential answers. The CleanMem is a keeper.

PS ... needed to add one comment. I did have ONE shutdown (as described above). But this happened when I was using REX and switched off of it to go to "clear" weather to see something below. REX and FSX stopped communicating and that caused the problem. I was able to duplicate this later. If you are using REX and want to "step away" from it ... turn it OFF, then change the weather.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:16:01 PM by Doug »

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »
for your problem placement strobe  there is a folder  in version SHADER 3.22 for the how to rectified this prob  by steve JP 

download to avsim

and it be corrected

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
Like I've said before, DX10 is the FSX game changer if you're willing to invest the time. And to be clear, these aren't "hacks", they're shader replacements and texture fixes. And DX10 low and slow looks great too. Gotta try the CleanMem thing.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support