Author Topic: Cape Spencer Lighthouse  (Read 3757 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Cape Spencer Lighthouse
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
Cape Spencer Lighthouse Plan - Want a short flight over water from a lovely, semi-hidden cove to a beautiful lighthouse? Attached is just what you are looking for. You start in tiny Elfin Cove at the parking dock. Taxi a little to port out the channel, take off and follow your GPS to Spencer Lighthouse.  Elfin Cove is one of those tiny communities that you might miss if we didn't point it out to you.   You can learn more about Elfin Cove here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g30987-Elfin_Cove_Alaska-Vacations.html

and more about Spencer Lighthouse here:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=829

The Flight Plan is attached, (link just above the picture) but you can get all of this by going to the USFS Cabins/Lighthouses page (from the button at Misty's Place). Once at the Cabins page, click on the "lighthouses" button, this takes you to the lighthouse area of the page. Scroll down to Spencer Lighthouse in the SAK region. You can click on the link for the lighthouse name to learn more about the lighthouse and you will always find a link for the flight plan.

http://return.mistymoorings.com/cabins/index.php#light

We will highlight one now and then for you so you don't miss something special.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:43:16 AM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Cape Spencer Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
Doug,
just clicked on the link to the Lighthouse page in your post which took me directly to the page.  The problem is that clicking on Cape Spence Lighthouse results in the dialog and map being for the lighthouse in New Brunswick which might be a bit further than I'd like to fly in a J-3 float plane.  :o
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
Right ... thank you, only the link was screwy, all the pics etc were ok. (Gremlins?  ...in my brain?). Also fixed the Service Pack issue on the scenery page.

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
Doug,
Looks good to go now. (both fixes) 
I guess I don't need that super butt cushion from TV now.  New Brunswick would have been hard on the old piles, the result of those high G turns in the Navy!
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
Especially in that old beaver I fly all the time.  I keep a can of opened oil here on my desk in front of the little fan just so I feel at home when I'm flying.  When I was in Alaska taking a ride in a Beaver a few years ago, the guy actually picked up a can of oil under the seat, punched it and poured it into a little tube that was right there beside the seat.  I asked "do you do that often?" He said, "Only when she needs it."  Oh me.

D

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »
One of my favorite movie scenes of all times is from 'Never Cry Wolf'. They're flying between some gigantic mountains and have engine trouble. Brian Denehey hands the controls to the nerdy passenger and steps out onto the float with a crescent wrench. "Hold her steady," he says and opens the engine compartment. The now pilot freaks out. Brian leans back in the door and says, "I said...hold her steady." Gotta love it.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Ya might say movie stuff but I actually witnessed a scene very much like that in real life.  Our helo squadron was the first in the Navy to receive the then brand new H-3 (HSS-3) helo.  While on a cruise off the British West Indies another helo pilot heard a strange noise in one of the engines so he had his co-pilot hover the bird went out the personnel door and opened the engine cowling climbed up sitting cross legged bent over with the rotor blades whizzing near his head and listened to the engine up close and personal as they say.
But then he was a crazy Bas..rd anyway.  ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud