Author Topic: Installing Ships - No File Browser Appears?  (Read 7221 times)

boleyd

Installing Ships - No File Browser Appears?
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
Trying to install PFJ AI Shipping Project V1.0. The CMD window proceeds ok except that it never opens a file browser windor. This cause the installer to use a blank address for the install and it fails.

Windows 7  3.4ghz 16m memory

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Installing Ships - No File Browser Appears?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
Rod,
this one is your baby I think.  He posted the problem at ORBX and I recommended he post here for your expertise.
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:20:45 AM »
Trying to install PFJ AI Shipping Project V1.0. The CMD window proceeds ok except that it never opens a file browser windor. This cause the installer to use a blank address for the install and it fails.

Windows 7  3.4ghz 16m memory

Hi Boleyd,

We will get one possibility out of the way.....

What anti-virus do you use?   If you don't use McAfee or AVAST anti-virus software, did you ever have it on your computer....was it on the computer as a demo when you got the computer.....?

Rod
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:57:59 AM by stiletto2 »

boleyd

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
The McAfee stuff was on. I uninstalled and hopefully found the residual stuff those programs like to leave around. Currently running Norton 360. Homemade computer.
3.4ghz i52500  16mb

Dick

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
Hi Dick,

The only way to make sure McAfee is totally uninstalled is to run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool  (MCPR).   Here is a link to the info on it if you haven't run it yet...

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101331&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777218&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DTS101331%26actp%3Dsearch%26viewlocale%3Den_US

Basically, when McAfee installs it hijacks the registry entry that allows vbscript.exe to run.  Acts just like a virus.  And that says everything I have to say about McAfee.

To totally remove McAfee, MCPR must be run.   

Rod

boleyd

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the info on McAfee. They should be placed on suicide watch.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. I ran the program twice.  No file browser so no way to tell the shipping installer where to put the files.  This is really not a big deal for me. There are ships at Ketchican which was the focus for trying the shipping program. I am not unhappy with what I have so no need to beat this any further.
Thanks,
Dick

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
Hi Dick,

There is another possibility that can cause it not to work,  though I have never run into someone who had both issues at the same time...but it is possible.  I think we can solve this.....without it you would not be able to use any of the RTMM AI Shipping packages which are quite nice.  If you PM me your email address, I can work you through it and see if we can solve it on a direct email basis.....it is up to you......let me know.

Rod

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »
Hi Dick,

I sent you a PM.

Rod