Author Topic: Thinking of taking a vacation to Alaska, must see or do things? Help.  (Read 3797 times)

Destroy

Of course we have to take a Beaver plane tour at some point but other than that I'm at a major loss as to how to setup an AK trip.

Looking online is of zero help, makes things worse actually; it confuses me more since there are soooooooooooo many different tours and trip packages from TONS of companies.

I guess to narrow things down; wild life and moving, fun adventure is what I think I'm looking for. The Mrs. and I are athletic and prefer to do things instead of sit sunsoaking on a stolid boat. Somewhere between 7 and 14 day total trip.

Any recommendations, suggestions or tips?

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Thinking of taking a vacation to Alaska, must see or do things? Help.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
My wife and I are going to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in June 2014 on this cruise/tour. We'll also be taking some excursions. In Ketchikan, the Misty Fjords tour in a floatplane.
Check out this tour page and click on Itinerary and other details.
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/shoreExcursions.do?packageCode=RD13A316

Brad
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:08:19 PM by Doug »

Brian_

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
Totally depends on where in the state you are going. It is incredibly huge and diverse.

I grew up in Juneau and Anchorage so I know quite a bit about southern Alaska. One of the things we do when wew go up is to stay in a Forest Service cabin and get away from it all. But there are millions of things to do, depending on where you are and what you like to do.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
I need to know a little bit on when I should plan for our cruise departure. We are going in either late July or early August. I was doing some research and that seems to be when the bears are out getting fattened up before they go into hibernation. But I'd rather hear from someone who's lived up there.

The cruise season we don't want is middle summer due to crowds, prices, etc. I believe the "shoulders" of the seasons are a target. Either the beginning, or end of season. We want to see as much of the nature side of things as we can. Whales, bear's, etc.

Any recommendations on that?

Thanks,
Brad

Brian_

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
Hi Brad,

Here are a couple things to think about;
June is SE AK tends to be the drier of the three summer months, although weeks of rain can be encountered any time of the year. On the other hand, August is the warmer of three.

As far as bears go, it is true that they fatten themselves, both during berry season (primarily July and August) and when the salmon are spawning later in the summer. Having said that, I tend to see them all through the summer, and I've never felt they were necessarily more commonplace in the later months.

Unfortunately, if the cruise option is the way you will be visiting, it's tough to get away from the hordes. Juneau has a resident population of about 30,000 people but well over a million tourists visit there every year. Think about that ratio packed into a tiny town and you'll get an appreciation of the situation.

When the wife and I go back there on vacation, we inevitably get a floatplane (or kayak) to stay at a Forest Service cabin for some unforgettable fun and solitude.
Basically, any way you can get away from the lead-you-by-the-nose tours is the way to go, in my opinion.

Brian_

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
Brad, here's a favorite pic of of mine from Auke Lake, which is very nearby Mendenhall glacier in Juneau.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for all these suggestions. I am looking at an August cruise departure I think. Active wildlife mainly is the first priority. I'm planning a "Misty Fjords" seaplane tour. Whale sighting excursion at Icy Bay. Might try a Glacier Bay flight from Skagway as well.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:06:25 PM by Doug »

Restless

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
Can I go with you in your backpack  ???
Jan de Jong

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
That's my spot!  ;D

Rod