Author Topic: Human Launch  (Read 3374 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Human Launch
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »
Took one of David Rowberry's fine hangliders to the top of the hill earlier and was foolish enough to set Active Sky on without checking the met...

(Incidentally, I have CumulusX running too - excellent addon that provides ridge lift)

The weather was fun to say the least - RW wind is almost directly on to the hanglider launch spot and > launch speed of the hangglider. Very oooopss! Rapid climbs whilst flying backwards are a challenge for sure! Apart from being dangerous even in the real world, the wind was 55 to my 35 as soon as I jumped... There was no way of getting round the front of the LP so I just had to "follow" the wind back and into one helluva strong "rotor" on the lee side. Lord did that glider SINK! I overtook three bricks and a lead balloon just struggling to get around the hill and back on the Totem Bight side. Thank heavens the wind speed was lower that much closer to the ground.

The landing site was so far off I was forced to beach land - that was exciting!

Looksee:

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Human Launch
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »
Chris .. could you "teach" us how to get a glider towed off Misty's Place and into the air? Is there a package that does that?  Somewhere in the FSX lit, I think I remember something about a tow plane?

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
Sure. There's two main, but different, addons you can use.

First of all, there's a set of utilities you can download from this web page <-click

CumulusX gives you the weather and WinchX gives you the winch... and by God, you go like the clappers! I won't try to tell you how to set it all up - Peter does it better.

The second addon is called (as per the others, rather obviously) "aerotow". Get it from the FSDeveloper community <-click

This addon allows you to choose the tow plane and set aerotow patterns so you con't have to fly in straight lines - which, in the case of Misty's Place, might mean being towed through the nearest mountain.

Again, I won't tell you how. The author, Paavo Pihelgas, includes an excellent redme.

As with any third-party toy - you load this at your own risk. RTFM and have fun.

Now... can you use an F18 as towplane? Yes. But it is rather 'exciting' At least with a 747 the acceleration is less...
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
(off topic:  thanks for reminding me that links were hard to see in posts.   Fixed.)