Author Topic: Westwood Inn Alsek Announcement  (Read 11711 times)

Maloney

• The Westwood Inn virtual flying club
Westwood Inn Alsek Announcement
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
Gentlemen,

With SAK out now, i'm about to close a circle of nearly ten years of flightsimming in and around the Pacific Northwest. The Westwood Inn and its flying club originates at Bella Coola, moved for years to the Alsek River Dry Bay (Glacier Bay addon for FS9) and with the advent of FSX and Orbx PNW to the Klinaklini Valley.
Now we are reopening the original Westwood Inn again at the shores of the Alsek River

I know that you guys are about to draw claims in the area, so i hope that this particular airstrip is still available.

I've allready started on first sketches and imaginations, but the actual building and presenting of the scenery will take some time. The reason why, i'll tell ya: I'm going for the ral deal. For the two months of May and June you will find me travelling PNW, PFJ and SAK in a truck camper.  ;D
Maybe a first version of the Westwood Inn Alsek will appear in the next three weeks, but i'm finalizing it when i'm back end of June.

Cheers,
Urs Burkhardt

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Westwood Inn Alsek Announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »
Urs,
sounds like a great trip to the north country I'm sure you will have a great time.  Westwood Inn back home sounds great.  No big hurry on it as you have earmarked the strip and its all yours.  Looking forward to your efforts when you get back home.
 8)
Later,

Spud

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
Hi Urs,
great News regarding the new Westwood_Inn back home. I´m really looking Forward exploring it.
But don`t hurry. Take all the time you Need for it.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »
Hi Urs,

Great to hear your plan for Westwood....Brad is the keeper of the land (and shore area) claims for RTMM but I have not heard of anyone focusing on that area.   Brad...what say you?

Rod

RobdeVries

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Hi Urs, I'm planning to redo Rudy's strip (East Alsek River West). I did it for GB v2. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:35:49 PM by RobdeVries »

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
Urs:

Good news regarding Westwood's new venue!

Are you the talented fellow who's responsible for those absolutely marvelous textures for the RealAir ACA Scout?  Those paints are so perfect for our Misty environs that I fly with them most of the time.

And perhaps I can ask:  were any similar paints ever done for the Aerosoft Beaver?

Thanks again on both counts, Urs.
-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

Maloney

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
Rob de Vries: You made my day!

HighGround: Yes, i did some of the Scout, but not of the Beaver.

cheers,
Urs Burkhardt

RobdeVries

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
Hi Urs, glad to know you liked it way back. I'm a huge admirer of your stuff!

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
Wow! What a great message thread we have here today. Of course it's with much anticipation that we see the Old Westwood Inn back in the Alsek River area. Urs, would you please keep RTMM appraised of your development progress as you break ground and start hammering nails into boards! We will all be awaiting your progress reports. Question for you is will the current Westwood Inn South be dismantled? Or will it stay intact and remain there?

Rob, I also look forward to seeing your new airstrip and scenery in this area and hope you will let RTMM host your new creation for SAK! Please also keep us in mind when you can share your updates and we'd love to host your work at RTMM as well.

For both of you, RTMM is ready to assist you in any way you may need. Whether it's with help placing objects, or want some ground moved, etc. just let me know at my email and we can coordinate as you require. Again I hope you'll both allow RTMM to have the honor of hosting your work for these projects and any others you may plan on for the future.

Thanks again for making our hobby so much fun.

Brad

RobdeVries

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »
Hi Brad, I'd be more than honored! I'll gladly accept any help offered.

Rob
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:13:20 AM by RobdeVries »

Maloney

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 05:41:06 AM »
Brad, thanks very much for the help offered.

As for the Westwood Inn at the head of Knight Inlet, it will remain as it is. It is actually the home base for all of our club activiteis and remain unchanged.
However, the "new" Westwood Inn Alsek, as it will be named, will be the second base for the north country. I try to create it with some new buildings and new club mebers cabins.
I'm still putting ideas together. Simply to recreate it the way it was in FS9 is not possible due to altered ground layouts, therefore a new layout will be needed.
But first, i move to real PFJ and SAK until end of June and hopefully i'll come back with lots of ideas (and a hard disk load of textures ...).
The actual creation of the scenery will take place in July or August.

Cheers,
Urs Burkhardt

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
Sounds great. Having you and Rob making more scenery we can share with our friends at RTMM is wonderful and I'm happy to hear that. I look forward to seeing both of your creations.

Brad

RobdeVries

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Hello,
Long time no see :) Resurrecting an older thread...

I'm reworking East Alsek River West - Rudy's Strip for FSX/P3D v2. Around 45NM from Yakutat.
Originally made for FS9's Glacier Bay v2. The new (unlisted) strip is based on the groundwork of FTX SAK. Some rework will be done on roads and rivers. I think I need some help with smoothing/blending the hard edges of the roads and polygons  ???

First screenshot's... 

Google Earth picture of the real deal. NNE approach as in the in sim screenshot (FSX) above.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:29:28 PM by RobdeVries »

RobdeVries

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
This is what I mean..
I made a polygon in SBuilderX 3.14 64bit. Used Google Earth as background to draw the poly. But as a  wannabee scenery designer I'm sure there's a lot I don't know and miss. In this case how on earth do I make these poly's (red in screenshot) blend better with the surrounding FTX SAK terrain (yellow in screenshot)

Thanks for any pointers. :)

Rob

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »
High Ground...where the heck have you been hiding? I was afraid that maybe you had flown off into the Golden Hills. Glad to see you're still kicking.
                                     JJ
Jsapair