Author Topic: Water operations  (Read 2454 times)

kiki

Water operations
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »
Hello!

After a long time I´m back doing some flying, mainly with the Twotter and C185 with floats.

I have always found it hard to know exactly where the water runways are. I am just placing my plane  between the shores :) or even between the light poles without knowing exactly what the green and red lights mean. Would some one be kind enough to explain that for me, please?

And how do I know where the water runways start. I ususally try to land on the numbers on asphalt runways but don´t know where that point would be in the water.
---

kiki

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Water operations
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
For Misty's Place, the green and red markers are the area of the channel where you can expect deeper water below. The markers though can be used to signify an area you can land at and take off at.

For mariners, the rule is "Red right returning" or more details here:
http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/6_3.php

Lateral Buoys and waterway markers

In the International system, navigation aids mark the edges of channels to tell which way open water is. They are called day beacons if unlighted, lights if lighted at night, or buoys if they are floating. Some buoys are also lighted for identification at night.

"Red, Right, Returning" tells you to leave the red markers to your right, or starboard, when returning from sea. The green markers are then left on your port side and between is the channel. Be sure to look behind you when navigating a narrow channel to make sure you are not being pushed out by wind or current.

Floating Red markers are called nuns and are triangular in shape. They are numbered with even numbers. Floating Green markers, on the other hand, are called cans and are square or shaped like a large can and carry odd numbers.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Water operations
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:31:52 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P