Author Topic: Managing Aircraft  (Read 4420 times)

archangel1

Managing Aircraft
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
I know how to add new textures to a SimObject folder but, if I want to delete a scheme, can I just reverse the process? We've all got various aircraft that we look at and say 'what colour-blind moron picked that scheme to include in the package?'.  I also can't see me having any use for a Chilean or Ghanaian scheme on a plane so can I get rid of it by removing/moving the texture folder and thumbnail (if external to the folder) and editing the aircraft.cfg to reflect the change (making backup files first, of course)? Will it work on default FSX aircraft? Some of the stock airliners use what appears to be the same thumbnail which is obviously incorrect.  They can be replaced with new screenshots but, since I haven't even loaded one yet, I don't know if I'd even bother.  I'd probably use payware replacements in any case.

For example, I have the Flight1 DC-2 and there are at least 40 textures for it.  Obviously, there is no way I'm going to need every one of them so I'd like to 'trim the fat' a bit.  I have no intention of removing any stock folders or AI aircraft (it'd probably screw something up somewhere else) but I'd like to cut down the visible aircraft options in the selection screen.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Managing Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Not a good idea to remove default aircraft because many addon A/C aliase panels, sounds etc. to the default A/C.  Take em out and some of your addons might stop working.
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
You can disable them in their respective aircraft.cfg files, as you know.  Or uncheck the box to show all variations of the aircraft.  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

archangel1

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »
...uncheck the box to show all variations of the aircraft...

Unfortunately, that's only a temporary solution.  There are a couple I never want to see again.  Ever! The first glimpse already left scars!

Dexthom

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »
If you remove that particular variation from the aircraft.cfg file and renumber the sequence, it won't
show up.  You can then then delete that particular texture from the aircraft file.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:52:35 PM by Dexthom »

archangel1

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
For now, I'm leaving everything in its respective folder but, after making a backup copy of the aircraft.cfg, I'm simply deleting any texture I know I'll probably never fly and renumbering the remainder.  Doesn't gain me any space on the drive this way but does remove several dozen thumbnails from the selection list.

It's nice to have a choice (and admittedly some of the freeware schemes are often much better than the commercial offerings they're replacing) but do we really need over 50 textures included in the package, such as in Aerosoft's Beaver? You can only fly one at a time.  It's similar to building models.  You buy a kit with a choice of markings but then decide you don't like any of them so you buy an aftermarket set with 20 more schemes.  Now, if you decide you want to use a couple more of the new decals, you have to buy another kit or two which of course include those original marking you didn't use in the first place.  Soon, you're up to your butt in unused decals.  Ask me how I know.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
What I'm trying to figure out is why are you putting decals on your butt?  ::)  :o  ;D  :D
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Dex's method is the one I use and I've yet to see any problems.  There is another way to disable a paint by using a couple of // by something in the aircraft cfg.  Can't remember which section.  I think it's the panel= entry.  I'll have to go hunt one down and check.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

archangel1

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »
So far, the one's I've edited the .cfg file for have worked okay.  At least, none of them have blown up yet.  I did bounce a Twotter off Everest, though.  ::)

Why do we need so many choices for some of these planes? I installed the Iris A-10 Warthog the other day.  Would you believe there are 71 textures, for 11 model variants (mostly in stores carried, as far as I can see - haven't flown one so far), yet there are only 8 individual schemes maximum?  Can you say overkill? Sheesh! On top of that, Bitchin' Betty even squawks at you when you choose your plane!

Dexthom

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
On a military flight line there may be 20-30 aircraft of the same model.  Each one has a different tail
number.   ;D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
On a military flight line there may be 20-30 aircraft of the same model.  Each one has a different tail
number.   ;D

Your correct on that Dex but there is no reason to have a separate repaint for every tail number just code the A/C so that it will show the tail number the user types in on the A/C 'detail' screen.
Later,

Spud