Author Topic: Mapping the RTMM Area  (Read 4050 times)

archangel1

Mapping the RTMM Area
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »
I know that the various locations created by the team usually come with route maps and there are the general area ones in the map room but does anyone have a simple map of the territory covered by RTMM.? All the maps we have now are very 'busy' and I'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around the relationships between all the sites.  I know Misty's is 'just a stone's throw' from PAKT but where the heck do Dog Salmon Creek or Big Hydro fit into the picture?  Is there a map without contours and colours and lines and all that stuff that I could use to plot things on? Nothing quite as simple as an outline map but one that maybe has the main cities marked or the water/land features labeled? I'm just a poor city boy and this really is the wilderness.  (I have seen the Atlantic Ocean, though!)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Mapping the RTMM Area
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
If you use Plan-G with all the data points installed, then you'll have a map with green dots for the cabins and yellow stars for the points of interest, and it's the whole world.  Try Plan-G, I say.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:10:56 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:54 AM »
Plan-G is already on my agenda to install but I was wondering whether there was a non-computer resource I could mess about with.  Like when we were kids and got simple maps and crayons to play with.  I'd just like to be able to draw lines and stuff on a physical object for a change.  That's why I collect colouring books, too.  It's also why I'll never buy an online reader.  I like the feel and smell of books too much (as a library probably worth considerably in excess of $50,000 can testify).

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Hi Mike,

I don't know of any map file that would give you a print out that shows all of the RTMM scenery locations.  There are some generic reference map links at Misty's Place but that is not what you are looking for.   One of the problems in having a map like you are looking for, is that our scenery area is quite vast. So, unless you were doing a wall size map, you would wind up with little maps of sectional areas.  You can see the kind of challenge Holger had just to include Tongass Fjords maps and our coverage area is much bigger.  And, of course,  more scenery locations are being added all the time so the map would have to keep being updated.

However, let me tell you what I do if I don't use Plan G.  (This is yet another way of using the great info at Misty's Place.)   I go to Misty's Place, choose the Location Maps button, find the location e.g. Hollis Harbor (Eagle Air), throw the lat/lon info (which is in degrees, minutes and decimal seconds)  and then copy the decimal coordinates into Google Earth** and voila I am at the exact point of the Misty Location I converted, in this case it would be Eagle Air at Hollis Harbor (Google Earth picture and FSX overhead picture at the Misty Locations coordinates for Eagle Air can be seen below).  I can then zoom in out to any level to see where I am and, optionally, print maps.

**Make sure you go to tools/ options page of Google Earth and change Show Lat\Long to degrees/deciimal minutes  (thanks to TreeTops for pointing this out).

Rod                                   Edited  1/30/2013  1:28 P.M.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:31:54 PM by stiletto2 »

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
Easy for you to say!  ;)

Thanks for the input.  I'll figure something out.

TreeTops

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
Hey Rod,
Can you not set Google Earth options to Degrees, Decimal Minutes which would do the corverting for you?
Then copy/paste eg Aiken Creek N55 7.18 W132 12.19 directly into GE to get the location.
You can check this by setting the GE option back to degrees minutes seconds and check the readout.
Save having to use a convertor.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi TreeTops,

Thanks so much for mentioning that.   Yes you can!   I used to use the convertor for something else and never bothered to look into the Google option.   Thanks for posting.......I have edited my post to simplify the procedure based on your feedback.

Rod
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:31:07 PM by stiletto2 »

TreeTops

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
Glad I could be a help.
Cheers
Trev

DaveLTB

• When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 03:52:27 AM »
If you purchase a little program called FSEarth ( http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/ ) you can hook up a laptop or tablet  and enjoy a googleEarth moving map which tracks your aircraft and scrolls with you. Together with some KMz or KML files (see Jurgen Schmidt's section in the map room) and  using KMZ files from ORBX's NRM, PNW and PFJ sceneries, you can get togeth an astonishing amount of info about the area.
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town
(Flight Simulator Cockpit Builder)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
I think he's looking for actual "paper" charts to flip through, and write on etc. ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:20:06 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »
Hi Mike,
I use skyvector as reference. They offer the US vfr sectional charts for free. You print them.
There are the Alaskan VFR maps included. Most of our Misty`s places are located inside these maps.

The Link:
http://skyvector.com/

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals