Author Topic: Installing AI traffic  (Read 5786 times)

archangel1

Installing AI traffic
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
I'm trying to install the 3 sets of AI Shipping Project objects into FSX but I'm getting nowhere.

The automatic and/or manual installer on all three gets me to the point where the screen says that I will next be able to choose my FSX master folder but when I press the good old 'any' key  ;) , I get the error message shown.  The only way out of that screen is by closing it (the 'any' key doesn't work there either).

So far, the other manual AI installs are working fine.  It's just seems like the auto installer files are buggy.

Any suggestions?

Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Installing AI traffic
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Hi Mike,

Sorry you are having a problem with the AI Shipping Package installers.  I wrote the installer for the AI Shipping packages.   Actually, the installer has been used by many over the past months with no bugs.   However, one user (and only one) did have a problem in their system setup that we solved and the symptoms looked just like yours.   So let's start there.

The screen you posted seems to be saying that your system is failing to initiate the vbscript file necessary to choose your main FSX folder.   Am I correct in assuming you are not getting this pop up screen when the installer asks you to hit "any" key:

If you are not getting that pop up screen when it is time to choose the proper FSX folder then the vbscript.dll is not accessible in the command environment on your system.  That is a problem. 

First question:   What operating system are you using?

Second question:   Please check your windows\system32 folder to see if the file vbscript.dll is in there.

Let me know the answers and we will continue based on that information.

Rod

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
Hi, Rod

Correct.  I do not get that screen when told to press a key.

vbscript.dll is available in windows/system32.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on a system that's less than a week old.

Mike

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
Hi Mike,

Ok, I also have a Window 7 64 bit system.  Since your system is a new system, if you are like me, I am loath to change anything in the advanced settings area.  So, as the next step, I will just have you look to see if the PATH statement located inside your environement variables section contains this path: %SystemRoot%\system32.  It should, but as I said earlier, so far, I found at least one user who was missing it.  If you are missing it, you can then decide whether to put it in or not.  However, if you don't have that path in the Path variable, there will be other issues in the future because anything auto executing in the command structure may not be able to find files that are inside the Windows\System32 folder.

Below is a pic that shows you how to find the environment variables section.  In the pic you can see that for the path variable, the first path listed is %SystemRoot%\system32.  (You may have to scroll up and down looking for the Path variable).  Once you find the Path variable like in the pic below, there will be multiple paths listed, each separated by a semicolon.  The one you are looking for may not be first.  To look at all of the paths in that line, you have to double click the line which will open it for edit...then click on the line and just use your arrow key to move through the paths looking for this one:  %SystemRoot%\system32.   If you find the correct path, take a screen picture so you can post it for me if necessary.  Otherwise if you do not find the path, then you you can just cancel out of all of the screens or, edit in the missing path %SystemRoot%\system32 into the string between semicolons.  That is up to you.  All I can tell you that if it is missing, it should be there.

Rod

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
This one?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
Hi Mike,

Ok, that looks correct.  So, apparently you have a new problem that no one else has ever had using this installer.  Will have to postpone working on this till tomorrow afternoon.....I will come up with a way for you to be able to get this installed, it just may take a little time....I can continue in email if that is easier.

I can send an email tomorrow to you to continue on this if you wish.  I see you have an email link available.

Let me know.

Rod

archangel1

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
Email's fine.  Afternoon's fine, too.  I don't do mornings! Thanks for the help, Rod.

Mike

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »
Hi Mike,

Will send you email tomorrow afternoon.

Rod

archangel1

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
A big shoutout to Rod Jackson for service above and beyond.  Over two afternoon's work, he was finally able to solve my problem without technically solving it.  Long story.  Anyways, I should be good to go with the AI Shipping Project now.

Must pop over to Misty's Virtual Bar and open a tab for Rod.  He deserves it.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

We did have a fun time over your issue.  Hopefully nobody will come up with that one again...but now I know the path to getting those ships afloat.

Glad you will be over at Misty's Bar because I ran up a pretty good tab while working on your problem  ;D

Rod

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Thanks Rod for all your efforts in a helping find a solution. This was a different one for sure. Can you elaborate or are you still sipping on that favorite concoction that Misty makes for you?

Brad

archangel1

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
Rod may be able to explain things because I sure can't.  All I know is that part of the problem can be blamed on McAfee, which came already installed on my new system but which I never even activated.

I may run into you folks at Misty's but I'll only be there 'for the ambiance'.  I don't drink.  I also don't smoke and I can't afford to run around with girls.  Any wonder I play computer games?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
Hi Brad,

Sent you an email with some of the details.....here is a little bit more detail....archangel1's new computer had some promotional software on it including McAfee.  And even though archangel1 never tried to install it, I am guessing that when the McAfee stuff was loaded before the computer was ready for shipment, a McAfee software path was left in the CSLID registry entry that identifies the path for the  vbscript.dll object.   Since the AI Shipping Project installer uses the  .BrowseForFolder(WINDOW_HANDLE, "Window Title", WINDOW_OPTIONS, StartPath) VBScript construct, the installer would not pop up a menu to make a folder choice because it could not find the vbscript.dll.  I had heard of this McAfee issue but had never encountered it in reality before......so....took me a while to discover it. 

Ultimately, we could only accomplish a partial fix which means there might be another McAfee entry somewhere else in the way but I didn't know how to find it or, even though we re-registered the vbscript.dll, there might be something else that needed to be done to fully correct the issue created by the McAfee software.  We were able to change the CSLID Registry entry so that the system could find the vbscript.dll and we could get the menu pop up but, it would only work using the installer's root command file rather than the installer's converted and embedded .exe launcher.  Once I sent archangel1 the proper command file, the installer ran as intended.

Bottom line, archangel1 is checking out those shipping lanes to get some good pics of the ships.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Rod

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
Indeed.

archangel1

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
Bit of an update.  I ran into a similar error when I tried to activate the Orbx FTX Day/Night switcher utility.  Figuring McAfee might have something to do with it, I searched online for a way to remove it from my system and found a little tool released by McAfee themselves! I ran it, cleared everything and tried the switcher again.  Success! I also retried Rod's AI installer and, of course, now it worked.  All those hours of work I inflicted on Rod can be laid squarely at the feet of McAfee's intrusive programme, which wasn't even activated!

Bottom line...don't use McAfee! Besides, why pay for programmes when you can get them for free, often from your own IP, like me.