Author Topic: It's about time!  (Read 2951 times)

archangel1

It's about time!
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
Finally, nearly two years after taking early retirement, I have a new computer hot enough to run FSX at a decent level.  It may not be optimized for the sim but, to be honest, that really wasn't my top priority.  I'm also a big fan of strategy games likeTotal War, Combat Mission, Men of War and the like, so they were my real impetus behind the acquisition of a  new system (besides the fact that my old one was giving obvious signs of mortal illness or mental decrepitude at the least).  The fact that FSX plays well (so far) is an added bonus.  Don't get me wrong, I'll be spending a lot of time in the air but, since I haven't flown properly for about 7 or 8 years, it's going to take a while to get back up to speed.  Definitely need some rudder pedals, a new joystick/yoke and the latest version of TrackIR.

I'll tell you one thing - the venue has certainly gotten larger in my absence.  When I deleted FS9 way back when to gain some drive space, it covered about 70 GB.  So far, after installing  the main game, two sets of FS Global terrain data, ORBX PNW, PFJ, NRM, CRM, Australia Gold, NZSI, two of their airports, a couple of planes and RTMM's Misty Moorings and Nina's Landing, I'm already over 120 GB! I've still got REX and FEX, two dozen more ORBX products and umpteen payware (including Tongass Fjords, which is buried somewhere) and freeware products to think about.  My secondary drive is 1 TB and I don't think it's going to be big enough, particularly with all the other wargames I intend to install.  I've already planned for a 2 TB external drive and I'll have to see what I can shift over there.

I can now start to contribute more to this excellent forum and not feel so much like a parasite, taking and not giving.  I've only had a brief glance at Misty's and Nina's so far but it's already obvious why RTMM is so highly regarded.  Can't wait to take a boat out for a closer look! Well done, folks.

Cheers,

Mike

(I'll shortly be posting (I hope!) a picture over in Screenshots of one of my favorite aircraft, in a most unusual place.  ;) )
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: It's about time!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:14 AM »
Yay!!!  I'm happy to be the first to say "Congratulations", Mike.  Glad to hear it.  8)  You've been around so long, I forget you don't fly.  Well, welcome to the virtual skies, again.  If you're like me, you'll find that those other programs take too much time away from your flying time.  FSX is all I do any more.  Sometimes I relax with a game of Tiger Woods Golf or Dirt 2 racing.  But then it's back into the cockpit.

A note about hardware, I've found that Saitek is pretty nice.  Better than the CH ones I had before.  That goes for the yoke as well as the peddles.  And I have grown quite fond of my "trim wheel" as well.  It is so nice to be able to dial in a level flight, with a nice big trim wheel below my throttle controls.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:17:24 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »
Hi Mike,
congratulations to your new computer and that you are back in the virtual skies!!!
Have fun with your new rig and all the different programms you play. I also liked it playing the Total War- series strategie games for quite a while. But since some years I´m running only FSX...Good to hear fsx runs well on your machine. Now, fasten your seat belts ..... and climb up into Misty`s virtual skies!!!!! :)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

archangel1

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:38 AM »
A note about hardware, I've found that Saitek is pretty nice.

Thanks, Jeff.  I also like Saitek.  I'm using their Cyborg Evo joystick at the moment, which isn't bad, but I'm looking at getting their X52 PRO stick (sensors rather than mechanical connections) for my combat sims and the PRO Flight Cessna Yoke for the civvies.  I'm also keeping track of a set of the PRO Flight Rudder Pedals at a better price than Amazon.ca (usually the cheapest for me).  They've got one left in stock but I don't get paid until next Friday so fingers crossed.  No Dirt 2 (yet) but I did get Grand Prix Legends to run on Windows 7!

Danke sehr, Klaus.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

DaveLTB

• When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
And I have grown quite fond of my "trim wheel" as well.  It is so nice to be able to dial in a level flight, with a nice big trim wheel below my throttle controls.
There's a poor-man's alternative to a dedicated USB trim wheel - If you have a registered FSUIPC, there is an option in there to quickly and simply convert your mouse scroll wheel into a trim wheel.
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town
(Flight Simulator Cockpit Builder)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
Cool!  I didn't know that.  I do occasionally hit my knee on the trimwheel housing (cramped quarters), but I like the fact that it looks very much like a real Cessna trim wheel.  You don't get that aspect with a mouse.  Yep, that is a little surprising to me now, that I never considered the mouse wheel to be the trimwheel.  That's funny.  Good to know.  Thanks Dave.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P