Author Topic: FSDiscover! and the RTMM database!  (Read 6684 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
FSDiscover! and the RTMM database!
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
GOOD NEWS! Konstantin Kukushkin, who made EZ-Landmarks and is also the author of FSDiscover! sent me the "how to" so we can now put the Misty Database into FSDiscover! just like we used to with EZ-Landmarks. The new data file rtmm.dat can be found on the FAQ page under "F" (for FSDiscover!).

OK, there's the GOOD NEWS ... now the "bad".  The database needs some "fixing up."  We got many of the old Misty Moorings locations in it, and the new places are not there yet.  I'll be going after this database from this moment forward fixing it up, making it more accurate, etc.

In FSDiscover! It will show up as a POINT OF INTEREST, (be sure your POI button is clicked "on").  You can make those a different color if you like. I have my Misty Database rtmm.dat set for "yellow" the rest are "green".  this way you can see "our" stuff vs the GNIS database stuff.  Also, with anything we put in, a "(mm)" will show after the entry on your screen. that way, you know that data point is from US and not GNIS.

For those of you using FSDiscover! We need your help.  First of all, we have to clean up the database we've got. I'll be putting in the new scenery locations, etc.  Also, GNIS changes now and then and there may be some duplicates, I'll be going after those too. 

Once you cross into BC, it is a data point wasteland!  GNIS, for some reason hasn't discovered BC yet!  So we need a GREAT DEAL of help in that area. Almost nothing there is showing.  As you see a river, lake, significant mountain ,etc ... slew to it (for a mountain slew to the top of it) ... and grab the GPS data for us. We will also need the altitude.  Give us the proper name for it and the coordinates and we'll put it into the database.

I'll be updating the database quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. And I'll not be putting NOTAMs out for each time it changes, which will be several times a day. But to get the latest, go to the FAQ under FSDiscover! and grab it.

For those of you NOT YET using FSDiscover.  You may or may not have a need for this program.  I like to know what I'm seeing out the window.  Once you see it, then if you are curious, you can google it and learn more about it.  Many of the historical/cultural things in the Trip Tics come from seeing something out the window in FSDiscover, then hitting Google to learn about it.  If you have no interest in such things, then this program is a waste of time for you.  However, flying VFR and KNOWING the area cold is part of why you love flying Misty ... then this program is an absolute MUST HAVE.  It costs about $29 US ... you WILL get your money's worth on this one ... especially since we can enhance it for our own purposes.

PLEASE send us correction and additions ... it's YOUR database too ... so help us get it "right."  You can email us, but if you put the corrections here in this thread, then folks will see what is posted and that could cut down on duplicates. So put your corrections here.

Thanks for you help ...

Doug

UPDATE:  All present locations as of 2/9/2011 are in the database. All old (non-existent) Misty Moorings locations are out of it. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:16:08 PM by Doug »

Doug

Re: FSDiscover! and the RTMM database!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »
We are continuing to create the "RTMM" Database for features in our area.  As you can see from the attached zip file, the database is getting quite extensive. We add to it daily, and you can always get the latest one from the MAP page or from the FAQ (FSDiscover) page. 

This file is put into the My Documents/FSDiscover folder, then when you are in FSDiscover, you click to add it and it blends in with the GNIS database already there. 

Doug

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Düsselwings

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
We are continuing to create the "RTMM" Database for features in our area.  As you can see from the attached zip file, the database is getting quite extensive. We add to it daily, and you can always get the latest one from the MAP page or from the FAQ (FSDiscover) page. 
Doug

Hello!

the Link to the RTMM.dat database gives an 404 Error... the one for the mistycabins works...

regards, Stephan
FSX+ACC auf AMD X6 1090TBE 3,2Ghz @3,8Ghz,  Asus Crosshair Formula IV, 16GB XMS 3, GTX 470, SSD 120GB VERTEX2, 256GB Crucial SSD C300, 2x Samsung Spinp., Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle + Saitek Pedals, Panels von Saitek, Trimwheel, Samsung TFT 27"

Doug

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
You might have caught us on an "update" ... I update it often, put about 50 new datapoints into it just today. Give it another try, I'm showing no problem from this end.  You can also see the whole database by going on down the list there in the map room and click on Quick Reference database ... same thing, just opened.

Let me know if it's ok for you now.

Thanks
Doug

Düsselwings

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
Hi Doug!

It´s the same with Error404 - from the FAQ-Site, but doesn´t matter... I took it out of your signature and it worked... ;-)

Thanx! (you all make a great job here! I´m just new after a tipp out of the ORBX Forum! Very nice and I just had a beer at Misty´s place while watching the fireworks ;-) )

So long, Stephan (EDDL)
FSX+ACC auf AMD X6 1090TBE 3,2Ghz @3,8Ghz,  Asus Crosshair Formula IV, 16GB XMS 3, GTX 470, SSD 120GB VERTEX2, 256GB Crucial SSD C300, 2x Samsung Spinp., Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle + Saitek Pedals, Panels von Saitek, Trimwheel, Samsung TFT 27"

Düsselwings

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:49:47 AM »
Hi Doug!

Now it works again ;-)

Regards, Stephan

Doug

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »
Thank you for letting me know. We can always run into a "caching problem" on my end that lets me "see" things that you cannot see. So I wanted to make sure this problem was not that one.  I bet you just caught me on an update.  People haven't discovered it yet, but that Quick Reference thing, being all alphabetical is an easy way to "place" yourself right where you want to be.   Also, people tend not to understand the map feature. Pressing "M" brings up the map in FSX.  Most of the time it comes up by accident and we don't like it.  But when it comes up, then you put in the co ordinates from the database lat/long and press OK, and you are "slewed" right to that place. A great way of "starting off" at some place that doesn't have an ICAO code for an airport.  You'll notice I have all the start points for the cabins ... you can use those and your boat or plane will be RIGHT THERE where it should be, beside a pier, etc. (Many have "heading" too, this aligns the boat or plane with the pier).

I just put up Skeena River ... you'll see all the start points listed for it there.  So if you want to start your boat at the Rwy 7 pier, you bring up the map ("M") and put those coordinates in, then you also put in the heading (altitude not necessary) and when you hit ok, you'll find yourself at the pier, lined up ready to go.

Again thanks for the "check" on your end.  Much appreciated.

Doug