Author Topic: Printing Trip Tics  (Read 5163 times)

archangel1

Printing Trip Tics
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
I don't know whether it's my settings or not but I'm having a problem with the printable versions of the Tics.  I just printed off about a dozen for study, without really paying attention to what was actually printing.  When I sat down to read them, other than the fact that it's a very tiny font, all of them are missing the entire right half of the notes.  It doesn't matter whether you print normal or landscape, the endings of all the sentences that are not visible on screen are cut off.  I don't see any options about word-wrap being active or not so I can't tell whether the problem's on my end or yours.  If the attachment works, you'll see exactly what I mean.  That's how they print.

Thanks,
Mike

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Printing Trip Tics
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
Mike have you got your WORD WRAP on for NOTES?

D

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:44:34 AM »
As far as I know, Word Wrap is on for everything.  I don't have problems printing from almost anywhere else.  I even checked using Firefox to see whether it might be an IE quirk but it's the same.

I've found a workaround, though.  If I copy the text and paste it in Notepad, I can print it straight off with no problem.  The font's bigger, too.  Uses more paper but at least I can read it! If I used Wordpad, I'd have to fiddle around with margins and things.  Weird!

Doug

• Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
I even tried it in Google Chrome (browser) ... it works fine on this end. I can resize the window and the word wrap changes it, none goes "off the screen."  We'll keep looking at it, maybe someone else reading this has an idea.

Here's mine:

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Dan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
It is browser-dependent.   If you click on the "printable version" link and it opens the text file in your browser, Chrome is the only one that handles word wrap properly.

Firefox and IE will both have word-wrap issues.   No idea why, it seems like basic functionality, but it's likely due to the fact that if you cut and paste auto-wordwrapped text, it can input erroneous line-breaks.

I've already emailed a possible solution to Doug.

In the meantime, you can save the file locally and open up in notepad/wordpad and print from there.   (right-click on the "Print-Able version" link and "Save target as.." in IE,  or "save link as.." in Firefox.

archangel1

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Just noticed something...those tickets that I copy/paste/print via Notepad that are authored by Doug all print in proper line/paragraph format.  Any others have strange line breaks and spacing.  Obviously compiled on totally different systems.

Edit: Scratch that.  Found a couple by Doug that print in pairs of lines with a blank space in between each pair.  Very awkward to read since they're all of different lengths with weird breaks.

As an aside...why is it, with almost every country except Canada and the US using A4 paper as a standard (even most printers default to A4), so difficult to get A4 paper in North America? The one time I was able to get some, I ordered it through Epson Canada, it was shipped from Epson USA (next day FEDEX!) yet it's manufactured by Epson Japan! Just wonderin'...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:05:20 PM by archangel1 »

Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
It's not really the "paper" that you use, it's what the browser is designating the "printable area."