Author Topic: Recommendations needed for new PC Specifications  (Read 7089 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Recommendations needed for new PC Specifications
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Time to upgrade the PC system and I could use some expert advice. Please look at the spec sheet I've put together and let me know anything I might need to consider for ultimate FSX performance. I only use my system for that.

HellFire GT2 by Jetline Systems

Operating System - Windows 7 Professional Edition (64-Bit)
    Chassis - CM HAF 912 HellFire Edition Mid-Tower ATX
    Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V Pro (Intel Z77) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
    Processor - Intel 3rd Gen Core i7 3770K (4.5GHz Overclock) Quad Core
    CPU Cooling - Antec 620 Single Stage CPU Liquid Cooling
    System Memory - 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    Graphics Processor - 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, GDDR5, PCIe
    System Power - 750 Watt PC Power & Cooling MK II
    Sound Card - 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
    Primary Hard Drive - 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM + 64GB Solid State Cache
    Secondary Hard Drive - <----------------------------------------------- Do I need one?
    Optical Drive 1 - 20x DVD/CD Burner Drive
    Networking - Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)
    Networking - 802.11n Wireless Desktop Network Card
    Keyboard & Mouse - Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse
    Preinstalled Software - Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold Edition
    Service & Support - 1 Year Limited Warranty & Lifetime Technical Support

Thanks for your input.

Brad

Fishbone

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Recommendations needed for new PC Specifications
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »
Hi Brad,

Nice configuration.
As you know, I have lot of troubles with my FSX. It seems to be repaired after restoration of backups, but I think it's time to do a full and clean reinstallation.
And, in this case, why not on a new computer ?

I build myself my computers, and for this new PC
I have choosed many components as yours.

I7 3770K (I'll try to get 4.5 - 4.8 Ghz OC)
Asus Mobo P8Z77 V - pro
Antec H2O 920 CPU watercooling
Syst. power Corsair 650 HX.
Chassis CM HAF X, very large
RAM Corsair Dominator 16 Gb 1866 MhZ ( cause of the lot of softwares, working together, and FSX, and Photoshop, my current PC rans 8 Gb, and in some cases I reach the 8 Gb used while Photoshop running many BMP and layouts.
I keep using my Nvidia 560 TI 448
SSD 256 Gb OS, Seagate 3 Gb  ( Partitioned : FSX and Data), Seagate 1 Gb for Backup
I was thinking, as you, to use SSD caching, but I have decided to use a 256 Gb SSD for OS and Photoshop, and HDD 3Tb Seagate , in case, if needed, I will add a 64 or 128 Gb SSD for caching. A WD Caviar black is a good choice.

In your case, I'll add a second HDD, maybe a 5400 r/m such as WD green, for backup and data storage.

Cheers,

Xavier
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:01:22 AM by Fishbone »

aeugli

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:26 AM »
Hi Brad, hi Xavier,

nice configurations. But for the PSU I would suggest a little more power (especially you Brad!) and always the best money can buy (NO compromises when it comes to power supply!) I would suggest the 1000 Watt Seasonic Platinum Series Modular 80+ Platin.

I second Xavier for a second HDD for backups (may be with Acronis True Image) and storage!

Cheers Rainer

Oh yes... btw choose a full size tower for far better airflow thus far better cooling all Mobo areas!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:28:11 AM by aeugli »
Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

GoBeeCee

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »
Hello Brad and others,

I do miss a statement about the number and size of monitors that you want to use. I think flying is most of all 'viewing' the surrounding i.e. inside the cockpit as well as outside. I am running FSX incl addons on 5 monitors of 22" of which 3 next to each other and 1 above and 1 underneath this combo and really do enjoy this arrangement very much ! From this basis on you verify your needs for the GPU, aso.

Hope this helps a bit....

Cheers,
Henk   
5 x LCD 22"; AMD HD6970; MSI-Z68A-GD65; i7-2600k; W7-64; SSD1-512Gb; SSD2-240Gb; HHD-1Tb; CoolerMaster CM690II; Saitek yoke+rudder, 2xthrottle quadrant, trimwheel, 2xradio, multi, switch, TPM, TrackIr5, Buttkicker2 + >500W subwoofer

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
Hi Brad,
nice computersystem specs!
I´ll also use a 750W PSU but I´ll try getting a bigger one as Aeugli suggested.
I have two SSD`s, a 64 MB for Win7 64bit and a 256 MB for FSX. I have one 500GB HDD for additional programs. For Data storage I use two external HDD`s (I have my data like payware addons stored on two HDD`s for safety reasons :)). I can also connect my notebook with them when needed.

I use 3*27" Monitors with TrackIR5. That is a really great experience!!!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Hey Brad (et al),
I always enjoy the hardware threads.  Amazing the components we are using, and FSX still struggles to crank it out.  Since I started with my first 386 computer, I've been on the upgrade path in the name of MS Flight simming.  My current machine is the best I've ever built.  So I have some recommendations to share:

The first thing that comes to mind is the case.  I have a "Cooler Master" high airflow full tower.  I highly recommend this one to anyone.  It is a screen mesh housing with many fans.  An extremely large fan is on the side of the case, blowing in.  There is also a fan in the floor of the case, the top of the case, and the rear and front panels.  Then I have a Corsair H-50 watercooler for the CPU.  I run at around 35*C while flying.

I have learned, after buying a monster of a video card (ATI Radeon 7970 Black Edition, 3Gb GPU @ 1000 MHz) that FSX is more processor intensive than graphical.  So my $600 video card, although nice, didn't help with FSX that much.  I am now working on upgrading my RAM chips from 16 Gb of 1333 MHz to 2000 MHz ones.  I also bought a fan unit for the new RAM chips. 

As for HDD, I just upgraded my FSX drive from a 240 Gb SSD to a 512 Gb SSD.  I had filled up the 240.  Now the 240 is my "C: drive".   So, while my FSX may be a bloated cow, I still recommend 512 Gb minimum for the FSX drive, with all the new software being developed.  And Solid State drives are the future.  I was happy when they finally came to market.  My first computer didn't even have a hard drive.  It was two 5.25" floppy drive bays and a CGA monitor.  How did we cope?

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

DaveLTB

• When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 04:09:50 AM »
Brad,
Your system looks OK.
WRT the power supply, I disagree that 700W is too small a power rating for your itemized list. 700W or 750W is just fine. HOWEVER, the quality of the PSU is extremely important. Generally, "you pay for what you get". I suggest you buy one of the more expensive units - I would recommend the Corsair AX750 or the slightly cheaper HX750.

Before you take the plunge, please consider a multi-computer system - linked together using Wideview.
http://www.wideview.it/wideview.htm
Because FSX or P3D is so incredibly CPU intensive, it makes absolute sense to split the load. At minimum, a two-computer system (one running the virtual cockpit and the other running the outside view - maybe with two or three monitors).

BTW, If you are re-installing from scratch on your new machine(s), do yourself a favor and rather install Prepar3D instead of FSX. It really is much better  :) 
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town
(Flight Simulator Cockpit Builder)

spirit_66

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »
Hi guys,

let me throw my two cents into the discussion about the PC specs.

SSD is an absolute must. I changed from HDD to SSD some month ago and it's amazing how different the speed is when the disk is involved. I always do a lot of installations and work also with pics and sounds. One can only say WOW!!

I recommend to buy the best power supply you can get. I would prefer something with about 1000 to 1200 Watt and top specs. A stable and good power at all the time is a must.

Forget Windows 7 do it with Windows 8. It's nice and reliable. No problems with any good software.

I would also buy the fastest 16 GB RAM that I could get.

For the backup I would like to have a backup server from Western Digital My Book and do the backup with the integrated Windows 8 backup function (new). Permanent and automatic backup on external drive, can be used from many different PCs and should be to a WiFi Router connected.

The case should better be too big than too small and be cooled very well.

I'm sure that the Graphic Card is the most important part for FSX so I would buy the best what one can buy now and I would buy nVidia.

Processor cooler, Asus motherboard for the new CPU specs, many USB ports, WiFi .... etc.,etc.

My point of view
Rudi

Regards from Chiang Mai (VTCC) / Thailand

tphelps

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:22:07 AM »
Hi Brad,

I always build my own desktop units, so I look over the individual components pretty carefully before purchasing. As I upgrade periodically, I keep the components that are still performing well and replace others that are falling behind modern performance requirements. FSX, on the other hand, has its own performance demands, as we all know.

I, for one, think the specs for your new build are fine as you have listed them. However, I do think there is some room for tweaking.

• Chassis: I agree with others who are recommending a larger/full tower case. A lot of people like the CM HAF X, but I think there are some other very nice options to consider. One is the NZXT Switch 810. It's a full tower chassis with lots of very nice features and good airflow. It comes is several colors/finishes: ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146089 ) More expensive, but I'm a big fan of the Corsair Obsidian series cases. The 800D (full tower) and the 650D (super-sized mid-tower) are worth a look. All of these options are naturals for water cooling.
  • Power supply: The PC Power and Cooling unit that you've listed is a fine unit and, with an 80+ Silver rating is up to the task. However, for $20.00 more at Newegg, you can get a Corsair HX750 80+ Gold PSU that is fully modular, which means a much cleaner interior for good airflow within the case. Once you've gone to modular, you'll never look back. It's fantastic! ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 )
  • Water cooling: I'm not familiar with the Antec 620, but I will say that I am more than pleased with my new Corsair H100i. I have successfully OC'd to 5.0GHz with acceptable temps, but I routinely run my CPU at a very conservative 4.6GHz on this system with very low temps. The Corsair software offers lots of controls. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032 )
  • Hard drives: While there is no FPS gain when having FSX loaded on a SSD, there is no doubt in my mind that the overall experience is smoother and the loading time is much quicker. With that much said, I wholeheartedly recommend going with a SSD, and 512GB seems to be the new requirement when looking at all the new Orbx and RTMM scenery coming down the pike. There are many brands out there. If you go with the newer releases you will avoid some of the earlier controller issues that were a real headache a couple of years ago. I'm using a 120GB SSD for OS/apps, 512GB SSD for FSX, and 1-TB WD Cavier Black HDD for data/storage/apps. For backups I use a Seagate USB3.0 external drive. This setup works very well.
  • GPU: In light of the fact that FSX is much more dependent upon a fast CPU than the latest GPU, I would probably recommend saving some money and opting for the GTX 660i or 670 or Radeon HD 7870 or 7950. That is, unless you are also playing other 3D games that are GPU intensive. That extra money might serve you better going into a big SSD.

Well, those are the changes I'd probably consider to your already great specs. There is no doubt that you are going to enjoy this new rig and your FSX experience is going to be better than ever!

Enjoy!

Ted
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:03:55 AM by tphelps »
Corsair Obsidian 650D chassis, AMD FX8350 4.6Ghz, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, Corsair Hydro H100i, ADATA XPG 16GB 1866 DDR3, Gigabyte Windforce OC HD7870 2 GB, ADATA S511 120GB SSD (OS), ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD (FSX), WD Caviar BK 1TB (Data), OCZ Fatal1ty 750 PSU, Asus Xonar Audio, Win 7 Pro 64

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:30 AM »
Wow! Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I have a lot to consider and a lot to learn about.

Brad

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
hi Guy

for SSD look at  WRITE// LECTURE this is impotant  somme are low the optimum is 520//500 i install (( intel )) SSD  with a good garanty
now my REVO OCZ was broken last end year december and out of garanties 2years and alf

Samsung an somme an other marque are little slowest 
for power take 750 gold +80  that is an optimum secure for components

Neptune
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
Hi Brad,

Also agree with previous poster on SSD.   I have dual 256 GB SSDs one system and one FSX...3rd drive is 1 TB conventional drive.  4th drive is removable 1/2 TB for some backups.  The difference in system and FSX load times is enormous with the two SSDs.

Rod

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Someone may have cover this already (Cousin Weak-Eyes, here), but I see that having a second hard drive has been mentioned.

While it's a good idea to have a secondary HDD for backups, et cetera, I feel it's much more important to have a fast (fastest you can get) HDD that's reserved for FSX only.  Bear't in mind that this usually includes a hockey sock full of scenery files, as well, so . . . size matters, too.

For me, I'd opt for three:

-- a primary C:/ drive, to run the OS and any other stuff that gets installed;
-- a big, fast drive for FSX;  and
-- another rascal for backups, and the like.

Full disclosure:  I have five (5) drives in my full-tower case (with lots of fans in it, of course).  Yes, I have a logical use for them all, and yes, I AM more than a little bit OCD :o

-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

GoBeeCee

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
In case you'll choose for a fast combo of W7 or 8 and FSX on one storage device, consider a SSD of 512 Gb.
I have chosen the Samsung 840 Pro 512 Gb and I'm very happy with the fast startup and the extra space.
As to capacity don't forget to calculate an extra 10 to 15 % free space for smooth running of FSX.

Cheers,
Henk

5 x LCD 22"; AMD HD6970; MSI-Z68A-GD65; i7-2600k; W7-64; SSD1-512Gb; SSD2-240Gb; HHD-1Tb; CoolerMaster CM690II; Saitek yoke+rudder, 2xthrottle quadrant, trimwheel, 2xradio, multi, switch, TPM, TrackIr5, Buttkicker2 + >500W subwoofer

GoBeeCee

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:39 AM »
I just noticed a new 'Software & Hardware Guide for FSX', downloadable from the site of Avsim, which may be of help in choosing the right components for a new PC. Here's the link:

http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

In the list of contributors are very well known names in the FS-world.

Cheers,
Henk