Author Topic: Where's my MV Malaspina?  (Read 13505 times)

Brian_

Where's my MV Malaspina?
« on: December 15, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Hello gentlemen,

I've been taking advantage of the fantastic AI vessels that you folks have provided at RTMM. Firstly, let me take my hat off and extend to you my warmest appreciation for the fine work you have done. On a side note, I landed at a sea level location the other day in marginal VFR conditions and way off in the distance, I spied a freighter cruising down the sound, dimly visible through the rain that looked SO realistic--just a neat immersion factor, I thought.

Anyway, the point of my post is to inquire about the MV Malaspina. I checked my AI vessels the other day in my FSX folder and saw it in there, yet I've never seen it in the sim. I think it travels between Ketchikan and Hollis but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Is there some way I can verify it is there and in use?

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Where's my MV Malaspina?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
I don't think that ship is used in our AI Shipping projects. I don't see it on our shipping spotters guide anywhere.

Brad

Dexthom

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
The vessel that I used for the Ketchikan/Hollis run is the Tongass LeConte.

Brian_

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »
Hmmm, that's really strange. :-\

I was sure the Malaspina went into Ketchikan. Does anyone else remember seeing it?

I thought maybe I was confusing it with the MV Matanuska but I spotted that vessel departing Wrangell;

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
Saw your post on the ORBX site and Holger's answer that the vessel in question is part of Tongass Fjords X.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dexthom

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
The Matanuska is running between Loring and Ketchikan.  The vessel in your photo is the Matanuska,
a vessel from Tongass Fjords X which is used in RTMM with the permission of Francois Dumas.  I am
not familiar with any vessel with the name of Malaspina.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:24:53 PM by Dexthom »

Brian_

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:24:33 PM »
The Matanuska is running between Loring and Ketchikan.

Well, looking on the FS map, it shows three locations for the Matanuska, although they are all north of Loring and Ketchikan.
And it's true that that particular vessel was a part of Tongass Fjords--I checked the manual over closely so I can say with confidence, that information.

However, the mystery over the Malaspina still remains. I'm wondering if I'm missing the AI track for it. Similarly, I'd be curious to know how difficult it would be to make such a thing.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:45 PM »
However, the mystery over the Malaspina still remains.
   ???

Why are you looking for this ship, exactly???   ???

The only reference to "Malaspina" I could find on my computer was in OZx/World/Tuscany.  And that was related to buildings, probably in the town of Malaspina, eh? 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:20:25 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Brian_

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »
However, the mystery over the Malaspina still remains.
   ???

Why are you looking for this ship, exactly???   ???

The only reference to "Malaspina" I could find on my computer was in OZx/World/Tuscany.  And that was related to buildings, probably in the town of Malaspina, eh?

Well, growing up in southeast AK, I used to ride on this vessel between towns, and i thought someone (a Japanese gentlemen who's name escapes me at the moment) went to the effort of modelling the ship for FSX users.

Perhaps I am mistaken, and confusing the Matanuska (a very similar looking ship) with the Malaspina (both named after Alaskan glaciers).

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »
Yes, we have the Matanuska at various places in the area.  Mitsuya Hamaguchi ("hama") is the gentleman's name.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:35:17 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
Googled it and came up with this:

http://www.alaskaferry.com/Ferries.shtml

It is an Alaskan ferry but that is all I know I could not find any reference to it in a traffic file in my installation?
 8)
Later,

Spud

Holger Sandmann

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
Hi guys,

actually, I was wrong  :o I confused the Matanuska and Malaspina. Tongass Fjords X includes the Matanuska and LeConte but not the Malaspina. The Malaspina is a sister ship to the Matanuska and usually travels between Bellingham and Juneau while the Matanuska and LeConte have more local routes, which is why we decided to include those two. The models were made for us by Mitsuya "Hama" Hamaguchi, whose own website is no longer active. Some of his freeware vehicles and vessels are available at Avsim, FlightSim, etc. but I'm not aware of a Malaspina. Perhaps someone made a repaint of our Matanuska as the Malaspina?

Cheers, Holger

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:04:38 AM »
Here's some info on the MV Malaspina.  I feel kinda silly, but I can't know everything (I guess).  I live in Bellingham, or near it anyway.  :-[

http://www.alaskaferry.com/Ferries.shtml#malaspina

Oops!  I guess that's the same one Spud found.  Sorry 'bout dat.  ( . . . NOW I really feel silly!)

Quote By Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska News -
The Malaspina follows a roundtrip route connecting Juneau, Haines and Skagway Monday through Saturday. But on Sundays, it only sails north, and overnights in Skagway.

Ferry chief Mike Neussl says it’s a question of logistics.

“The reason we do that is because I need berth space for the Columbia to tie up early Monday morning in Juneau when it comes north out of Bellingham,” he says. . . .

. . . The ferry LeConte also overnights in Hoonah to make space for another ship at Juneau’s ferry terminal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:35:21 AM by jeff3163 »

Restless

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
Is this the vessel you all looking for ?? :-[

Jan
Jan de Jong

Dexthom

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
When SAK is released, the Malaspina may run the route from Juneau, Haines and Skagway.  ;)