Author Topic: Which Bush Flying Aircraft?  (Read 8421 times)

DaveLTB

• When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade
Which Bush Flying Aircraft?
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »
Hello All
I'm new here, and beginning to make a start in Bush Flying.
I don't really want to buy every bush-flying aircraft available and learn the quirks of each, only to find that one of you much more experienced members has valuable input which can save hundreds of hours of frustration.
Here is a synopsis of the theme so far from the "Hi, I'm new" thread. This theme should obviously have its own thread.

May I be so bold as to ask the first question:
I have never done any bush-flying in FSX before. My FSX  experience has so far been on heavy jets and old multi-prop (notably A2A B377) aircraft. I realize that to fly seriously around RTMM one needs to become very proficient with one's virtual aircraft - i.e., another lengthy learning curve. So, my first question: which aircraft do most of you use for Bush Flying? I am currently looking at A2A's Piper Cub or Aerosoft's BeaverX.

Greetings from Cape Town at the Southern tip of Africa

Dave Britzius

Rob Abernathy replied:
... Both your aircraft mentions will fill the bill nicely.  I have both the A2A Cub and Aerosoft Beaver and love them.  The new Tri Pacer from Lionheart Creations is a fun bush plane as well.  Even the good ol C185 Amphipian (from Carenado) is a fine choice.   There are others as well.

Jeff replied:
... I'd be happy to tell you that I am a beaver driver.  I fell in love with the Aerosoft Beaver X last year, and fly it almost exclusively.  I have a thread in the screenshots called "Beaver Shots", if you want to have a look.  (it's the thread with 1600+ views, can't imagine why.)  The A2A cub is nice too, for a stroll through the scenery.  If you have any questions or problems, (that aren't already covered in the forum) just ask.  We love to solve problems.  It helps everyone.  It will be interesting to see your FSX screenshots.   ???

I replied:
Thanks for the welcome and aircraft insights. I'm looking for a great plane that I can spend some serious time learning.

The A2A cub looks like it is exquisitely modeled, but is it not too slow for getting around the whole RTMM area?

The Aerosoft beaverX looks faster and more complex, but it seems to be a port-over from their FX9-version. Does this manifest anything negative? Lovely screenshots, Jeff - particularly those using the Fed-Ex paint. Your excellent "Beaver Sots" post reads like a review - very useful.   

I looked at the advertising for the Lionheart Pacer but couldn't find a review anywhere (bad Google, bad boy  ;) ).

Anyone else have any experience with either of these three aircraft?

Jeff replied:
I haven't noticed anything "negative".

Ted Phelps replied:
Dave--The A2A Cub is a standard setter and a joy to fly on shorter low-and-slow runs. On the other hand, the Flight Replicas Super Cub offers bush and amphibious variations and has considerably more power for maneuvering and slightly longer flights.

The new Lionheart Super Pacer PA20/22 180 is a very nice rendition with custom gauge panels, floats, bush, and tri-cycle variations, and good power. It's a joy to fly. I think Lionheart has done a great job. I do wish it had an amphibian version, however. Regardless, I find myself flying the Super Pacer a lot lately.

The Beaver has those wonderful classic looks, with decent power, load capacity, and range. But, Aerosoft's BeaverX, IMHO, is a little long-in-the-tooth. I really wish A2A would consider a remake of this classic plane.

Carenado has the Cessna 185, and I think the 206 (neither of which I have flown), but lots of people like them a lot. On my list for future purchases.

If Carenado's C-208 had an amphib model, it would be another great choice. But, alas, it doesn't.

There is a free version of the Pilatus PC-6 Porter that is quite good. Definitely worth a look.

There are numerous other very worthy bush flyers available, but the one that seldom gets any time inside my hangar is Lionheart's Quest Kodiak. This plane really can do it all. It has the power (750 hp) and speed for longer flights, tremendous load capacity (10-people plus cargo pod), and the amazing capability for landing or taking off on <700 feet. It comes in wheels and floats/amphib variations, HD textures, and of course, a Garmin G1000 triple glass cockpit. Definitely my go-to bush flyer.

Those are just a few options to consider. You will absolutely love flying any of these in the Misty Moorings. I hope to see you in the skies!

Safe flights,

Ted

I Replied:
Hello Ted
Thanks for your detailed reply. This kind of post really helps.

I have a question:
I had a look at Lionheart's Quest Kodiak and some reviews and it looks really good. Having some glass cockpit familiarity, this looks less intimidating to me than some. However, does your argument against the Aerosoft Beaver not also apply to Lionheart's Quest Kodiak? It was last updated/patched in 2009 and appears to be another FS9-to-FSX updated portover. Is the aircraft FSX quality?
How does she fly? And even more importantly, how good is it for sightseeing - (after all that's what RTMM is all about, is it not?)

Dave

So that's the synopsis so far. Any further input will be most welcome.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:58:27 AM by DaveLTB »
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town
(Flight Simulator Cockpit Builder)

DaveLTB

Re: Which Bush Flying Aircraft?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »
By the way...
I have been shopping around a bit
Just a headsUp:
If anyone is looking for an A2A Piper cub + Accusim addon, you can get it from Simmarket as a bundle for Euros 24 (= US$ 31.4) as opposed to the usual price at other stores for $45 for both.
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
I only use a few aircraft to get out in the bush with.

Carenado
Cessna 185 Tundra and skis
Cessna 206 "Stationair" Amphibian

Flight Replicas
Super Cub

Default FSX
Maule

Fishbone

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
I use mainly:

C185F and Bush version from Carenado
Beaver from Aerosoft
Bird Dog from Sibwings

For long range flight
Kodiak from Lionheart

And sometimes the Pilatus Porter from FSD, and the one (freeware) from "Piglet"

Cheers,

Xavier

DaveLTB

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
Thank you all for replying. I am beginning to get a picture.
The more people that chip in here the better.
It might even be of some use for other newbies and a synopsis could even be part of the FAQ.
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
My list is almost identical to Xavier's.  Love the Kodiak for getting there in a hurry with a full load of supplies and pax, tho the Beaver is fun to fly and easier to get parts for up in Alaska.    ::)

I have a little SeaBee  I got at Flight1 and like it a lot too.  Good little puddle jumper for two persons.  So many good choices, so little time.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

plug_nickel

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
To the list I'd add Aerosoft's PBY and the freeware Beech D-18S Amphibian. The Nardi model of the Seabee is also  a lot of fun to fly.

I also have several helicopters, but the one I'm most enamored with is the Gmax Bell-47 v2 w/floats coupled with a HoverControls cfg written specifically for it.

plug_nickel

kiki

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Now would be perfect time to pick up the Carenado C185. They have Christmas Sale!
---

kiki

DaveLTB

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
You can get the C185F SKYWAGON BUSH (FSX) from PCaviator at US$9.95
If you wait until Tuesday, you can get the C185 from PCaviator at US$8.95

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18475&cat=351&page=1
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
FWIW, the C-185 Bush is the better buy because it has wheels, tundra tires, floats, skis, and amphib. models included.  The C-185 Skywagon is a wheels only airplane.

8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
If you do get the Carenado C-185 Bush see this post:

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=316.msg9121#new

and get the A/C.cfg and air files from Bushpounder's site link at the end of thread.

8)
Later,

Spud

DaveLTB

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:38 AM »
And curiously enough, the C185F Skywagon is more expensive than the  C185F Skywagon Bush.
The C185F Skywagon costs US$13.48 now and 10% less on Tuesday
The C185F Skywagon Bush costs US$9,98 now and 10% less on Tuesday
Thanks and Greetings

Dave Britzius
Cape Town