Author Topic: Ferry Aground?  (Read 8000 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Ferry Aground?
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Just put in Yakhoun Lake and was flying it. At one of my VFR turns I'm making over an island just off shore from Queen Charlotte City ... lookee what I found washed up on the island?  (Hey Dex, you missing a ferry boat?) :-)

Doug

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Ferry Aground?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »
Doug,
I recall that the ORBX forums had some posts about ferries aground in some of the North America scenery you might want to search their site for further info.
 ;)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
What's strange on this one, and why I think it might be one of ours ... it wasn't there before I put in Yakhoun Lake ... I think I would have noticed it. I'm using the same routing for Mt Matlock Cabin and went over that spot about 5 times getting the Flight-Seeing trip laid out correctly. Then, there it is. :-).  But, hey, maybe one of Dex's ferries just took off and sailed away (one of them ran over me the other day as I was trying to take a pic of it!). Fun stuff, anyway.  Maybe if there's a fix, I won't even put it in .. I kind of like the Ferry Boat there.

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
Doug,
I'll have a look at those coordinates and see what is in my FSX install and report back.

EDIT:
Went to the location and here is the screen shot.  As you can see, no ferry.

Remember that if you install any FTX scenery you MUST reinstall the latest library after the new scenery has been installed.  In addition check the support page of the ORBX FTX site and be sure you have all the patches for North America scenery.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:11:44 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
If you want to fly it.  Go to Yakhoun Lake Cabin in the scenery and download the FS plan (flight seeing). Load it and it will take you to exactly where I saw that.

Doug

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:52:42 AM »
Ferries running aground are as a consequence of two things:

A: their routes are fixed and cannot be edited (this is the default FSX ferries)

B: the ORBX scenery has accurate landscape and coastline, FSX did not, so it happens occasionally that as the ferry's routes are fixed, they now find that part of the route is overland, with the inevitable consequence.

Dexthom

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »
That looks like it's part of the Living World.  We will have to wait until all the glaciers melt and
the sea level rises, then we will be good to go!   ::)

Doug

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
Dex, now that's what I was thinking ... maybe its the"Ark!" ... ureka, we've found it!   I know those routes are all "fixed" on the AI shipping. But this whole package is getting more "real" by the day with the beautiful scenery and locations, etc.  I put in REX ... so now even the weather is more real.  So I think I have it figured out ... REX gave me a storm, and blew the ferry off course! Yep.  This is becoming as real as it can get! :-)

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »
Doug,
remember that if you install ANY new ORBX scenery for North America it is required that you follow the scenery installation with a reinstallation of the latest ORBX Libary. 
At the moment that would be:
FTXORBXLIBS_101205.zip

See ORBX support page for the file.
As my screen shot shows I do not have the ferry/ark in my installation of RTMM/Pacifc Fjords.
 :)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »
http://myftx.com/FTX_AU_BLUE/FTXORBXLIBS_101205.zip

There's the link for it.  Thank you, Spud.  Downloading it now. Tell ya what, if any of the folks here see an update like this, let us know, we'll get it into the NOTAMs for the whole group.  Thanks for the heads up.

Doug

UPDATE:  Got the file, ran it (it's an easy exe file) ... and now another problem ... my Ark is gone!  Darn, I was kind of enjoying that.  Oh well.  Maybe there will be another storm soon and another one of Dex's boats will be blown ashore. (Thanks for the heads up on the update). I placed it in the NOTAMs so others could download it too. Again, thank you.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:31:05 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »
Aha ... I found it! Those rascals at ORBX salvaged it. They dragged it off the island, repainted it, filled in the gaping holes so it would float, and put it back into use. (Those guys are amazing!). It's now by the shore, loading.  Not sure "what" it is loading, it being a ferry boat ... no road there. But alas, perhaps it actually is an ark picking up the bears that live there? "...and they came two by two..." Anyway, all is solved. (but I do miss my newly-discovered ark ... darn!).

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:37:14 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
And there it goes!!!  I was writing the reply below. Then went back to flight sim and .... it wasn't THERE! Huh? It was there a minute ago.  Well, just to make my day, they jumped into the ferry boat, started it up and sailed away in it.  (Ha, but I found it again!).  They must have fired the old captain and got a better one ... This new guy slowed down and docked safely at the island.  So it seems they not only updated the scenery, they also updated the crew on the ferryboat. Amazing what technology can do!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:49:08 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
OOPs ... well the new guy needs a little more practice.  Kind of made his own dock there.  In the next update, they'll move the island about 50 feet ... then all will be well. :-)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:59:48 AM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
Must be AI traffic and I was at the location at the wrong time of day to see it.  You didn't happen to notice the time of day that it was at the location?  If so I'll give it a try then and see if it shows on my FSX.
 :)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
You can see the "post" times and that's pretty close.  This is no big deal, I'm mostly just having some fun with Dex.  He's a highly successful shipping magnate now and I was just trying to bring him down to earth!  What was funny was that the ferryboat was way up in the middle of the island like that right after I put in Yakhoun Lake, then I did the ORBX library update, then it was gone, then the ferry was working.  I love a mystery.  It is so much fun having the AI traffic ... it was LONELY out there!  Lots of company now! (Thanks Dex).  Thanks Spud, bet you are right, I always forget about the schedules.  Made for a fun day though.

Doug