Author Topic: Divine intervention  (Read 7672 times)

speedbird591

Divine intervention
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
Hello. My first download from RTMM has been the AI ships and after installing I wondered if I'd have trouble in finding them. I shouldn't have worried as they can be seen from many miles away through what looks like divine intervention. ;)

In one way, it's quite useful. But in another it looks a little silly ;D

OK. I'm using P3D and I know the software isn't designed for P3D but I'm running plenty of FSX AI traffic and other programs with no problems. So I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen this.

Anybody have any idea what's causing it? If not, I'll put it down to a P3D incompatibility.

Cheers

Ian  :)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Divine intervention
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
Yep, that is a known P3D problem.   This problem was mentioned in the forums a few months ago.  Here are links to a couple of threads that mention it...

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=1022.15
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=1224.0

Rod

speedbird591

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:48 AM »
Thanks, Rod, I suspected that it was P3D and interested to read that it's the wake effect going in the wrong direction! Sorry I didn't delve far enough back to find the answer myself.

Anyway, it looks as though P3D does run a lot of the RTMM scenery so I'll be trying out a lot more over the coming months. After many years simming I now only fly in PNW, PFJ and Tongass and with ORBX Southern Alaska coming soon I shan't be heading anywhere else in the foreseeable future! I think I'll be a frequent visitor to this wonderful place.

I only run Prepar3d now for the stability and performance improvements so I do miss out on some FSX enhancements but weighed up against the benefits of flying in P3D I don't feel hard done by.

Thanks again,

Ian

Restless

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
Hi Ian,
I see in the background the coastguard vessel, and what is going up is not smoke but the wake.
Maybe you can try this, go to the FSX Effects folder and look for the ''fx wake coastguard'' effect open this file with notepad and look for the following sections,

[ParticleAttributes. xx]  (there are several)
TempK=109.00       (if it look like this then put two slashes in front of the line)
TempRate=0.01      (if it look like this then put two slashes in front of the line)
So you get it like this,
[ParticleAttributes. xx]
//TempK=109.00
//TempRate=0.01

Maybe this will help your problem, I am not sure because I do not know P3D.

Regards,
Jan
Jan de Jong

pipeorgan

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »
Hi Jan

I am a new boy  and have tried your suggestion but cannot find a coastguard vessel so cannot tell if it works for that. However I have the problem with all my large ships with P3D. so I would like to try and solve it if its possible as the Ship AI package is really fantastic.  How can I find a coastguard ship to see if the solution works? Or what solution could I use for the ship attached as I can easily reproduce this situation.

John
Cheers

john

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
John,
you do not modify a coastguard ship for the problem.  It is the "fx wake coastguard" file you need to modify as noted in Jan's post.  The file is in your FSX Effects folder.  Or in one of the links Rod listed their is this suggestion:

Wake effect, "fx_wake_coastguard.fx" does not work properly for AI ships; see below. As workaround I applied P3D default wake effects to AI ships.

Can not comment if this works or not as P3D is not supported here at RTMM but worth a try.
 8)
Later,

Spud

pipeorgan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Thanks Spud, Maybe I did not express myself clearly but I did modify the fx_wake_coastguard.fx file with [ParticleAttributes. xx]
//TempK=109.00
//TempRate=0.01
but only did it with one entry and on looking again after your reply I saw that there are 3 ParticleAttributes sections to modify and it now works:-)
The confusion was because I thought that changing this file would only work on coastguard ships so I wanted to know how I could find a coastguard ship in P3D to see if it worked. Seems as if, now I have implemented the changes it works for all ships.
Must now have a look how I can change the wake to default P3D as you indicated.

thanks again.

John

Cheers

john

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »
John,
if you do solve the problem be sure and let others know what you did with a post on the site.  I'm sure that others who use P3D would appreciate the fix.  :D
 8)
Later,

Spud

pipeorgan

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »
OK Spud will do if I sort it ;D
Cheers

john

Lazyeight

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
This worked fine for me with Prepar3D. I now have lots of AI ships running around. Fantastic. Many thanks.

Lazyeight

Restless

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
So if it does worked out in P3D, you have to search and change every single wake effect.
Show a picture if you will, Lazyeight ?
Jan de Jong

Lazyeight

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 06:30:30 AM »
 Restless,
   I am not sure what you want a picture of. Read back through this thread for the instructions. What you have to do is go to your Prepar3D/effects folder. There look for fs_wake_coastguard.fx   That is the only one you need to change and it changes all AI ships. You need to modify the particle attributes in three places. Modify by placing the two // before the entries as shown.  This is not as hard as it may sound. If you need more help send me a pm and I will work with you. It cleared up all the AI ships wakes instantly and made them work perfectly. :)
Lazyeight

Lazyeight

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
Restless,
  Just a follow up to see how it worked. Let me know if you had any problem.
Thanks,
Lazyeight