Author Topic: Fedex Depots  (Read 7676 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Fedex Depots
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »
I'm happy that the problem has been solved. Rod's the master on this stuff I swear.

However....What the..... That's interesting and kind of mysterious. Why wouldn't they just work. They're textures and the objects were there. And the textures were too right? So why didn't it work?

Thanks Rod and Jeff and Grayrider for helping us fix another glitch in the ever changing object universe from HELL!!

:o
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:18:22 AM by Bradallen43 »

Handie

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
I also had the black textures on the building, but after performing the manipulation given by Rod, everything is back to normal  :)

Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Holger Sandmann

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Hi guys,

in my experience these missing textures happen when there are two object libraries that duplicate some but not all of the objects -- in this case the FedEx building or its texture seems to be missing from one of the libraries. The libraries are located in different active scenery library entries, FSX gets confused over which library to load, and it ends up picking the wrong one and not finding the texture.

Since in those cases FSX also will take a look in the global texture folder the work-around is indeed to place the corresponding textures in FSX\Texture. It's not the perfect solution because it means there are still those partially duplicated libraries somewhere, plus having non-default textures in \Texture makes servicing/reinstalling add-ons more difficult, and you've lost the ability to give different textures to the same model (if desired).

Cheers, Holger

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »

Thanks for that bit of insight, Holger  Also, your welcome Grayrider!  Glad it worked!

Rod
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:53:10 PM by stiletto2 »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 02:29:06 PM »
Hi all,

After doing a bit more research based on Holger's comment, I can tell you this.  60% of the textures in the RWY12 Texture folder are also in the EZ Scenery Texture folder ...however there are just about zero duplication of scenery objects.   In other words, the same textures are used by the two object libraries but to make different scenery objects.   

Technically, FSX shouldn't get confused in this scenerio but, as Holger said, and as we have experienced, it does once in awhile.  So far, the amount of times it gets confused seems very minimal and always with the same texture files.   I have just found a two year old posting that identifed the same texture confusion with the files we have just identified above.

Interestingly enough, for those of you that combine all your object libraries into one folder set with one Scenery file and one Texture file, you would not have this particular problem since you overwrite one texture with another.  That is probably why Brad & Spud don't have the problem.   However, this is a pretty rare anomaly with FSX and now that we know the symptom we can easily fix it by adding the texture to the FSX\Texture folder.   

Again, personally, I don't recommend combining all your object libraries, but wanted everyone to know a bit more about the issue.  I may have to think about combining the RWY12 and EZ Scenery Libraries since there is 60% duplication of RWY12 Textures in the EZ Scenery Libraries.

Rod
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:31:14 PM by stiletto2 »