Author Topic: FSX Crashes when AI shipping enabled  (Read 4988 times)

mickm

FSX Crashes when AI shipping enabled
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
Hi I have downloaded and installed the AI shipping package but I am suffering with CTD when approaching an AI ship. With the AI shipping uninstalled no problems at all.The module faulting is sim1.DLL. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? BTW thanks for a great site.

Mick

Win 7 pro 64 bit
Q6600
Asus P5N32-SLI
8Gb ram

fltsimguy

Re: FSX Crashes when AI shipping enabled
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Never had that issue.

I need to ask have you done any research over at AVSIM, Flightsim.com, FSDevelopers....the problem might have occurred with someone else before.
Bryan Wallis
aka the "fltsimguy"
Duncan, BC

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
Hi mickm,

Welcome to RTMM!   Can you tells us what operating system you are using, did you install with automatic installation and did you get any messages of modules missing.  I am assuming you have Tongass FSX installed along with ORBX PFJ ....is that correct?

Does FSX crash when you approach all AI ships or only certain ones?    What specific area were you in when FSX crashed?

Sim1.dll error is produced many times when system can't find a texture for an AI vehicle....

Rod

mickm

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
Hi Rod thanks for the reply. I am using Win7 Pro 64 bit. All of the required scenery packages are installed.
 I have tried auto and manual install and the same thing happens each time. I do get an error saying 4 .mdl files are missing but the installer tells me that these models will not appear and that is all. I have attached a screen capture .

I have removed the  trafficAlaskaMarineTrack files and am in the process of adding them back in one by one to find out which file is the culprit. The crash normally occurs near PAWG on route to KCC which I use as a way point to PAKT. I can see the AI traffic such as British Progress north of PAKT no problem, but with all tracks installed I have the crash issue.

If you can tell me which tracks are used by these four models then I will remove them, add everything else back in and report back.

The crash always seems to be in this area and I am guessing it is related to the missing files.

The VEH folder for the missing models has a .cfg file and a text doc but no .mdl file. The file is copied from an existing .mdl file but it seems I do not have these. I have installed FSX and all of the required scenery on another pc but still have the same error.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »
Hi Mick,

You may be able to stop the crashes by eliminating the tracks but I don't know which ones .....Dex might but he is out of pocket for a day or so.  However, there are future AI Shipping Packages coming and they all reuse the models you are missing with a lot more tracks.  So, the important thing is to figure out why you are missing the models.  The models the installer shows missing are all Tongass Fjords FSX models.    This shipping package requires Tongass Fjords FSX to run properly.

Assuming you have Tongass Fjords FSX installed, do you have these folders in your FSX\SimObjects\Boats folder:

AI_Vessel_TF_Matanuska_FSX
AI_Vessel_TF_Princess_FSX
AI_Vessel_TF_USCG_Anacapa_FSX
AI_Vessel_TF_Volendam_FSX

That is where the 4 missing models are copied from......

Rod
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:05:21 AM by stiletto2 »

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »
Yes it looks to me like Tongass Fjords X is not installed.

Brad

mickm

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
Hi Thanks for your replys. You were quite correct in that Tongass was the culprit here. The AI files Rod mentioned were not present for some reason. All other textures etc were OK though. I have reinstalled the Tongass package and all seems OK now. FWIW I isolated 2 trafficAlaskaMarineTrack files 5 and 13 which caused a CTD every time at PAWG before I reinstalled everything. With those files removed all was OK.

Thanks for you input and keep up the good work. I for one have now returned to the FS community after a long absence mainly down to what I read about you guys in PC Pilot magazine.

Regards and best wishes

Mick
 :D

Ps sorry the screenshot is poor but the original png is too large to post  ::)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:25:05 AM by mickm »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Hi Mick,

Glad you got it figured out!   If models are missing, it is quite possible that when FSX goes to display one of the AI Boats that is missing a model, it will crash FSX like you experienced.  At this point, all the tracks should be working for younow that you have reinstalled Tongass and have the missing Boat folders back.  Have fun and, again,  welcome to RTMM! 

Rod

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
And welcome back to FSX. We're honored to get a compliment from you like that. Thanks. Oh and be sure to check out the Peter Hayes article about Return to Misty Moorings on AVSIM that was done recently too. It's very in depth and we didn't even know that story was coming.

Brad