Author Topic: Discovery channel and bush flying  (Read 4662 times)

WeDGe

• You cant take it with ya
Discovery channel and bush flying
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
just a heads up for those of you that get the discovery channel...they are running a series called "Flying Wild alaska"  man oh man sitting here aT WORK AND WAITING FOR MY ORBX PAC FJORDS TO ARRIVE .THIS IS SUCH A TEASE 'oop caps lock..lol' its getting hard to stay seated ..lol WeDGe 8)

cvearl

Re: Discovery channel and bush flying
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
Neat little show. I have seen the first three episodes. Thier daughter is a real cutie. Love the planes. The show would be better if they focused more on the art of flying and less on drama but they gotta dress it up for the masses. :)

Makes flying the 206 in Tongass and PFJ fun!

Charles.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »
I liked the first episode when the owner in his C-180 takes off from a ridge top and discovers that he has no left rudder control!  Rudder bar broke.  His solution, trim it up, unstrap, and move to the right seat.  Piece of cake.
 ;)
Later,

Spud

Grizz

• Sim Junkie
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
I 've watched this. Great Program !!
What caught my attention was an episode where the pilot lands on the river gravel bar, with a Cessna 206, with no tundra tires. Now, these were'nt your normal size gravel either, they looked more like rocks. Also the gravel bar had a long bend that looked like only a motar boat could navigate. Ohhhh...the risk they take.  I noticed also that the pilots were very young although it appeared they did know what they're doing. On the other hand in different situations, skill can't always save you in the bush.
Grizz

briansommers

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
I liked the first episode when the owner in his C-180 takes off from a ridge top and discovers that he has no left rudder control!  Rudder bar broke.  His solution, trim it up, unstrap, and move to the right seat.  Piece of cake.
 ;)

that is the episode that bothered me the most!  I mean if he would have done a proper preflight wouldn't he have discovered this BEFORE taking off? or am I missing something?

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Brian,
don't know if your a RL pilot or not but if so tell me the last time you stood on your head and looked for cracks in the rudder bar during preflights.  Normally a visual inspection and operating the rudders during a control check prior to flight is about all that is done.  If the rudders are smooth and work the control surface, don't feel sloppy or 'loose' during a control check prior to flight the pilot will not 'catch' something like this until such time as the rudder bar breaks.  I could not see the break in the film when they showed it after the flight it seemed to me to be hidden by the rudder pedal.  Metal fatigue is a really sneaky defect in that the item 'seems' to be perfectly normal until it suddenly fails.  Or to put it into two words "Sh*t Happens" sometimes and although the FAA will 99% of the time blame pilot error there are time when it just is the breaks of the game.
I had a tail rotor rocking pin lock up on an H2C at sea once and the airplane had just finished a 100 hour check.  I know because I was the maintenance officer on our detachment at the time.  The A/C was vibrating so badly as I landed aboard the Carrier (USS America CV66) I could not read the instruments.  That is one of those 'pucker factor = 9.8' kind of things that just happen in the flying game.
 :D
Later,

Spud

briansommers

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
no I'm not a RL pilot.

and you just answered my question.  It was unclear to me and maybe I just missed it, but you mentioned it happened after he took off, well then yeah, it is what it is and you have to just deal with it and he dealt with it good.

but when I fly fltsim, and I know its not r/l - I use fspassengers (a failure simulator) and I go through and full movement of all moving parts, elevator, rudder, aileron, etc.  I just figured he would have felt it wobble but if it broke in flight, ...