Author Topic: Design Question  (Read 5315 times)

BeaverDriver

Design Question
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »
I'm wondering if it's ok to pick the brains of you designers that did up this scenery please?

I want to replace a terminal building (this is in Northern Ontario, not in Misty). I don't know of any way to eliminate it from the default FSX scenery. So, is the only, or best way, to "remove" it is by covering it up with the terminal building you want by placing the new terminal exactly where the old terminal is? Are there any inherent problems with that, and if so, is there a better way of doing that?

I know this isn't really about Misty or even Orbx, but it might come in handy closer to "home" later on.

Thanks much for any advice.
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

Beaverpilot

Re: Design Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »
 Hey Beaverdriver; Wish I had the answer for you, because I have the same  one. I still love flying at home in Northern Ontario CYCN and CNN5 water areodrome. There are lots of buildings and such to move  and replace. So hoping you receive an answer.

For now take care
Beaverpilot

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
Hi Glenn,

I'll need more information from anybody who has more experience doing this.

But when using Instant Scenery, whenever you place an object into your scenery project area, it will remove any autogen objects under and around that recently placed object. This will happen everytime an object is added in IS unless you specify that it shouldn't remove the autogen near the object you placed. That's a selective option inside IS.

So, if the terminal building is an autogen object, then I believe you can place your new object over it and leave the "remove autogen" option active in IS, you shouldn't see the old object anymore.

Anybody else wish to confirm or deny my claim? Because I haven't ever done what I just spoke of so, my theory needs more experienced users to explain it. I never try to remove autogen, just fit inside it.

Brad

pivo11

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »

That sounds right to me, the only thing is how do you determine if an object is autogen or not?  Other than by trial and error, I mean.

The other thing you can do in Instant Scenery is make an "exclusion rectangle".  That's what I do for default buildings I don't want. 

Cheers,
Fritz

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:21:46 AM »
You can also use ADE to exclude Autogen, use an exclusion rectangle rather than a polygon though, and have the sim running with your plane where the object is. In ADE (Airport Design Editor) Click the connect button top right, and you will see a crosshair depicting the planes position.
Put the plane at the corners or various reference poits of the building by slewing it in sim, at each point use the marker tool to put a cross mark so you can now see where the building is (sometime the buildings show in ADE sometimes they do not. for most buildings the presence of a small Exxclusion rectangle ios sufficient to remove them, so try that first, drag out a small rectangle (the yellow symbol)
and place it in the centre of the building, save it, compile it (you may need to save the flight, so you can reload back at the same place) end the flight, go to settings scenery library, click OK, the database rebuilds, compile the scenery in ADE, do the settings library thing again, load the flight, if the building has gone, job done, if not use several excludes to cover the thing.
The exclusion rectangle are always oriented north, they do not rotate, but they are very much better than the polygons at getting shot of autogen stuff.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:06:13 AM by Avian »

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
Downloading ADE as I read... sloping polys! Wheee...
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »
Ah good, you will be better able to follow what I am doing with the paintshop then!

BeaverDriver

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
Thanks Gents for this. It all makes a lot of sense to me. I use both ADE9X and IS2, so I have options here. Much appreciated!
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )