Author Topic: What do you fly in the most?  (Read 523631 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Who flies what?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 02:05:23 AM »
Flingwings aren't silly and they don't fly simply because the earth repels them...

Nooo... helicopter pilots are just so good, that when they want to fly, the Earth is in such awe, that she moves herself around for the heliviator.
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

alexf

• My photogallery
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:43 AM »
For me on the Bush flying side of things (in about preference order, more or less as I like them all):

Sibwings BirdDog
A2A Piper Cub
Aerosoft Beaver
Carenado 185F
Carenado 206
Carenado 172N
Dodosim 206

Have been known to come in on a few others on occasion (but not really bush):
Carenado PA28
Goose
Aerosoft PBY
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:31:11 PM by alexf »

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »
It really does look like the Carenado 185 is the most popular. And I don't have it.

Is this model reall worth the effort? Is the paintkit capable of reproducing both sides of everything without mirroring? Do the flaps move in a "Fowler flap" manner?

About the last... Cessna don't call them Fowler flaps, but they do extend backwards as well as down. I had arguments with Carenado about the 172. The flaps on their model merely rotate, but in reality they move back to increase the wing surface area as well by 5 or 6 %. I even sent photos of the flap and track mechanisms from three C172s that we have at the Airbus flying club, but the big C told me to go away. Not rudely, just that they wouldn't be able to correct this error.

I still fly the Carenados in my hangar - although the only "real FSX" one I have is the 172. I did add the free FSX conversions of their FS9 206, 210 and the RG182, but these really aren't as FSX as they could be.

Oh and by the way - I don't know about the 185's flaps (yet)
All the best,

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »
Yes, yes and yes, yes, yes!!!!!

It's a great aircraft to fly around the PFJ region. Bushpounders website has some aircraft.cfg tweaks that make the plane very bouncy. But a blast to fly still.
Haven't messed with any painting of it, but there are others out there who have. You can find them pretty easy.

Please....... oh please.....

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
I've just downloaded a repaint for the 185 (any old repaint) and I do recognise that Carenado have, at least made their mapping so that all surfaces are individual. I'll thumbs up on that.

Now... how is that flap action. let me look in airliners net.
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
A quote from "Allaboutaircraft.com"

Flaps

Large single-slotted Fowler type "Para-Lift" flaps are used on both the Cessna 180 & 185. They increase the size and camber of the wing. Excellent lift is obtained at half-flaps, and at full 40 degrees of flaps a very high sinkrate is possible.

So... someone fire up their 185 and watch the flaps as they extend. The must move rearwards as they extend. If Carenado have fixed that, then I may consider spending money.
All the best,

Wildbird

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »
The paintkit is good, haven't seen any mirroring and it's easy assemble all the main pieces to make a Cera style paintkit. The 185 Bush package is fairly cheap too I believe.

Gimme a few minutes and I'll have a look at the flaps.

Edit: Okay, they don't simply rotate, there is some backwards movement too. If it qualifies as "para-lift" I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:40:18 PM by Wildbird »

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
I've been looking at the Avsim review. I am disappointed by the VC already - some of the placards are crisp while others are lousy.

Sad.

And looking at the flaps in some of the screenies, I suspect they merely rotate on the single pivot.
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the info Wildbird.

I have always liked the carenado stuff in general terms, although I have always found their mapping and texturing to be "not up to FSX standards" I see from the repaints I have looked at, that the paintkit for the 185 is more in line with a painter's dreams, but as I just mentioned, I am not really moved or excited by the preview screenshots of the interiors etc.

I am probably spoiled by stuff like Nemeth's and Sibwings' interiors, or A2A's performance and even Michael Flahault's (Flight Replicas) models are exquisitely put together. And when you look at freeware stuff like the gliders, microlights and hanggliders put together by Mike Rowberry, then I am afraid Carenado looks really old.

On the other hand, Carenado models are not expensive.

I will give the 185 some serious thought, but I can't promise I will buy here just so that I can paint her once or twice.
All the best,

Wildbird

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
All I can say is that I very much disagree. :) I only have the 185 and 208, but when it comes to looks and details, they are by far my favourites. You really should give the 185 a try, the only way it looks old is the tear and wear.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: What do you like
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »
You also have to remember I am currently out of work due to health reasons and very likely to be retired early. I have to weigh every penny. I get many models through my beta testing work (and I do mean work) and I managed to get my system up to its current performance before the acident.

I still buy the occasional addon (like the Orbx stuff) and helicopters are always tempting. But I am afraid Carenado's reputation is only as high as it is because of what I would dare call professional praisers. They make good, solid planes - but not in the same appearance quality league as RAS, A2A, Sibwings and co.

I know - it is a very jaded opinion. I had all their FS9 stuff and that was good enough, but they just don't cut the mustard with their FSX performance so far. They still use plain bmp textures instead of dds and they don't even produce simple layered paintkits. Merely textures similar to Microsoft FSX's "white" aircraft textures.

Just take a look at Flight Replicas paintkits...

I'm not saying I won't, I just need more thought.
All the best,

Leorstef

Re: What do you fly in the most?
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »
I hear you, Chris.
I'm what we call over here, "Under-employed" after having my full-time job w/ benefits cut with another company.
I have a part-time job that's keeping me afloat.  For now.

I agree with your assessment too of Carenado, and especially the "paint kits".
This one has issues with texture mapping on the rudder of the Tundra and Skis models for sure. 
(Fixable, workable, but a pain nonetheless.)

But I did pick this 185 up, while it was on sale.
If given the same opportunity, I would recommend getting this one.
The 300hp flat Continental with a triple blade prop just makes this plane fun to fly.

I can see now why Mr. Jim Tweto of "Flying Wild Alaska" fame loves to get out from behind the C.O.O. desk any chance he can to fly his 180.
The 180/185 is a delight to operate into and out of tough spots, and has speed to get you where you want to go, and still carry a reasonable amount of passengers and cargo.

Tigerclaw

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
My top 5 for bush flying are mixed, fixed wing, and rotor.

1. Sibwings BirdDog
2. A2A Piper Cub Tundra
3. Dodo Bell 206
4. Cera Bell 412 EP
5. Quest Kodiak by Lionheart Creations ( This is rare though, I prefer slower craft).

Usually in that order of preference. I do fly other planes/Helis, but that's my top five.
Tony

Windows XP Pro 32 bit - Core 2 Duo 1.87Ghz - 2 gig Ram - GeForce GT240 1 gig Ram - Audigy ZS 2 - FSX Gold. ORBX - REX 2.0 - TrackIR 5

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
Yeah, that Bird Dog sure is pretty. A great model, great original textures. The flight dynamics took a lot of work and may still need work. I love it too.
All the best,

Dieter

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 03:51:07 AM »
I agree, the BirdDog is a great bush plane meanwhile (after Alexander Metzger created the new FDE) and she's pretty well flyable (needs some pedal footwork), excellent VC and a variety of textures is offered. Nevertheless there are still some technical errors. But I don't believe they will ever be fixed by SibWings.
(I wrote a posting in their forum "Waiting for maintenance service" which is not answered with any word, not even by customers.  :(   )

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals