Author Topic: Site Performance Issues (UPDATED 4/20)  (Read 8844 times)

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Site Performance Issues (UPDATED 4/20)
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
I was just notified by the hosting company that they'll be transferring the site to new hardware.  It will be served from a backup while the transfer takes place, so theoretically there should be no downtime.

Due to hardware issues on the web server, we will be moving it over to new hardware. Sites will be served from backups while the data is restored over to the new machine. Our admins are setting up the new hardware now, and we'll make sure to provide you with an update as soon as the restore begins.

Update 4/4:
This is an update about your webserver. The server restoration appears to be progressing nicely. No services are reporting errors and the restore process is continuing along nicely. We have noticed a few intermittent issues with CPU load as a result of the restore process, which may be causing periodic slowness on your sites. We are continuing to monitor this and work toward a fix.

If you find you are having any issues with your hosting or are missing any data, please reply to this message with any details you can provide and we will be happy to assist!

We appreciate your patience!
I have notified them that we are indeed still having issues, they are still working on it.

Update 4/5:
Site seems a little faster, but I'm still noticing slowness fairly frequently.   No new updates from the hosting service, and I have reached out to them for another update.

Update 4/6:
This is an update about your shared web server. Unfortunately, it looks like the server is experiencing intermittent high CPU loads. We are continuing to investigate this and work toward a more permanent fix, but you may still experience bouts of slowness as a result of the restore process. Sites are currently being served from backups and the restore process continues to execute.

Update 4/20:
The restore process is complete!
Site should be back to "normal" now.   I'll keep an eye on things.

The restore process is complete!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:42:56 AM by Dan »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Possible Site Hiccups Today
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
Only problem I'm seeing is very slow loading of pages and inability to log off earlier but I assume it will improve after the transfer.
 :o
 8)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »
Yep....really slow web page loads every time I click on something...about 10 - 30 second wait....still like that right now...hopefully will be better once transfer is complete.

Rod

Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Yeah, site is horribly slow for me right now too.  They're still working on restoring the site to the new hardware.  Sorry about the slowness, it should be resolved by tomorrow.

Handie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »
Hello,

Yesterday in the " news ", there was an update for Skeena River Lodge and Skeena River Run ... and they are gone ...
They are also no longer in the "scenery".
What's going on ?
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
There was a hardware failure at the hosting company.   When this happens, they fail the site over to backup gear and serve the site from an image (a snapshot of the site from the last time they backed up).    I am theorizing that the backup was from prior to those updates being made..       

Once the hardware was replaced, the site was put back online on the main server, but using the last available backup.   i.e. - we lost any changes since the backup was made.

Simple fix:  I'll have Doug re-upload his updates and all should be well.

For the record, I am NOT happy with this event, and have expressed so to my hosting company.  I am reviewing options of transferring hosting services.   I've been with them for 10+ years, but there are a lot more (and probably less expensive) options out there now.    That's something I'll work through.

edit:  I'm still seeing a little bit of delay (~5 sec) on loading of pages, and I've written them about that.    TTFB on page calls is about 5k ms, which is way too high.   Overall it's a lot better off than we were yesterday though.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:26:16 AM by Dan »

Handie

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:32 AM »
Ok, thank you, that's what I thought  ;)
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Possible Site Hiccups Today (UPDATED)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
Dan,
I'm noticing the delay as well but at least we have site access today and I'm sure things will get back to 'normal' when everything has been switched over.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Possible Site Hiccups Today (UPDATED)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
It is now just past 1500 CDT and the site is even slower than this morning.  Any time I click on a link to go or do anything with the site I have a delay of almost a min. before anything happens at all.
 ???
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dan

Re: Site Performance Issues (UPDATED 4/4)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Update 4/4:
This is an update about your webserver. The server restoration appears to be progressing nicely. No services are reporting errors and the restore process is continuing along nicely. We have noticed a few intermittent issues with CPU load as a result of the restore process, which may be causing periodic slowness on your sites. We are continuing to monitor this and work toward a fix.

If you find you are having any issues with your hosting or are missing any data, please reply to this message with any details you can provide and we will be happy to assist!

We appreciate your patience!
I have notified them that we are indeed still having issues, they are still working on it.   Sorry for the slowness in the meantime!

Dan

Re: Site Performance Issues (UPDATED 4/5)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Update 4/5:
Site seems a little faster, but I'm still noticing slowness fairly frequently.   No new updates from the hosting service, and I have reached out to them for another update.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
Dan,
just logged on about 0730 CDT and the site is much better now about the only small delay I noticed was after clicking the REPLY button to post this message and it was only about 10 seconds long.  As the reply section needs to load in I think things are about back to normal, at least for me.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dan

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
Things seem to be speeding up now, I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks like the maintenance might be nearing completion.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
Hi Dan,

Looking very good this morning.  Right now....as fast as ever.....great!

Rod

Dan

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Yeah, it seems better.  The hosting company is reporting that things are still going on behind the scenes, and the site is still being served from the backup hardware, so I'm not sure if we'll see any more issues..   I'm hoping not.  We shall see.

In the meantime, I've made some configuration changes to the forum caching to help speed things up going forward as well.

Update 4/6:
This is an update about your shared web server. Unfortunately, it looks like the server is experiencing intermittent high CPU loads. We are continuing to investigate this and work toward a more permanent fix, but you may still experience bouts of slowness as a result of the restore process. Sites are currently being served from backups and the restore process continues to execute.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:56:29 AM by Dan »