Author Topic: MEBAR Advisory  (Read 2764 times)

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
MEBAR Advisory
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »
Hullo Gents:

This is just a note to advise anyone who may not know of the annual MEBAR event, and who may possibly be interested in participating.

An offshoot of the annual (January) Great Australian Air Rally, or GAAR, the boys at Mutley's Hangar arranged the Great UK Air Rally, or GUKAR, last year.  It was a great success -- as are all of these -- and it was sorta unofficially renamed the MEBAR -- the Mutley's Easter Bunny Air Rally, what with its occurrence in April.

This year's event involves a total of five legs, traipsing around the UK.  They're designed to be flown over the period 01-15 April, with 3 days allocated for each.

The three-day period isn't because of any difficulty, btw, but merely for the convenience of the participants who "have a life".

So to get started, use the link below to got to Mutley's.  The Menu is at the top right of the screen.
  • Do a Test Flight, an record your Test Time;
  • Register, including your Test Time;
  • Download the flight files for the events and plop them into the appropriate FSX folder;
  • Download the Event Briefings (a PDF file) and print them out;
  • Start flying the events.
  • PIREP your result time(s) via email
Any reservations you may have about "complexity", "competition" or "strangeness" will soon be dispelled when you begin the process, and by the time you've completed the MEBAR, you'll be anxiously waiting for the next event.

http://fly2.mutleyshangar.com/index.htm

Highly Recommended for a few hours of great enjoyment.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:12:59 PM by HighGround »
-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: MEBAR Advisory
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
 :-[ edit, after the fact - (I apologize for not conforming to the forum rules.  We should've been discussing this over at Misty's Place for "non-RTMM" subjects. T'was too late when I caught that nuance.) :-[

Thanks Jon, I am going to check out the test flight now.  I am terrible with schedules, but this is very much like flying for Buffalo airways, submitting PIREPS and such.  Sounds like great fun.  I am on my way to merry old England with my beaver.  Rally is one week away.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:21:03 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

HighGround

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
Ah, I'll have company, then.  Currently, I'm the only rep from RTMM :D

See you there, Jeff.
-Jon

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
I will be representing Misty Moorings in my beaver.  The clean one.  ;D

(yes, that is the english countryside below)

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
Go Jeff!!

Rod

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
I completed the test flight from Southampton Intl to Gatwick in 10.79 minutes.  I'm now registered for the event (pending approval, I guess).  They encourage pilots to submit PIREPS early, so I may get in a couple legs this weekend.   8)  Here's my screenshots of the flight time recorder I installed into the dash of my beaver.  The gauge is available at the Mutley's site.  (just the gauge, not the placement of it.  I did that)  You've gotta know a little about installing a gauge.  You can also put it on a popup 2D window.  Mine looks a little funny, being a square gauge in a round hole.  Oh well.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:17:14 PM by jeff3163 »

HighGround

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
Nice install, Jeff!

Having done quite a number of these GAAR's, MEBAR's, a GARSA and a number of World Rally's I came to think gradually narrow-down one plane as being most suitable for my needs -- the DHC-4 Caribou.

So gradually, I've tinkered and tweaked the grumbly beast to my liking -- mostly by modifying and adding gauges, as you've done -- and now, even my wife likes it!  Beth acts as my co-Joe on these rally junkets, twirling the E6B, setting-up my radios, calling-out the next waypoints for me and rattling-off distance and altitude on final.  Great help!   8)

As for Tom's Timer, I keep that "au naturel", in a square window up in the corner of a second monitor alongside a Post-It Note stuck onto the bezel with the Target Time on it.  Comes-in handy on short final!  ;D

-Jon

HighGround

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
Thinking about it, it's entirely possible that a casual Forum reader could very well come to the conclusion that these Rally's are a bit too "involved" for their tastes.  And reading through my previous post, I've done nothing to allay that notion.  So maybe I can explain it this way:

On one end of the personality spectrum, there are the majority of"attendees" who just go for the fun of it all.  You're umpty-ump minutes off your Target Time?  Meh!  Who cares;  we had lot of fun.

In the middle are those who've been doing the Rally's for some time and who maybe find themselves making some slightly more serious attempts to shave their Times down closer to the Target.

And then there are a few who've been doing it for longer perhaps, and who start to make a bit of a hobby of getting as close to their Times as possible.

The thing of it is:  everyone enjoys themselves immensely!  And guess what prizes and recognition are doled-out at the end of the Rally?  None.  Zero.  The guy who garbaged every run isn't singled-out or noticed any more than the other guy whose shorts are far too tight. 

And the nice part is that these Rally's come around just often enough to make such a nice change of pace.  January, April, August and October, roughly.

Like most people, on the first Leg of my first Rally, I was a Nervous Nellie.  By the start of the second Leg, I was relaxed and enjoying myself immensely. 

And the enjoyment has never stopped!

-Jon