Author Topic: Liverish liveries...  (Read 11299 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Liverish liveries...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
No apologies needed at all, I may owe one here!!!  I loved what you were saying from a "real pilot's" point of view.  I was just trying to keep us focused on the starting line for the repaints ... I only hope, as we go along, that what you were describing so well for us becomes "reality" here at Misty. Please, keep those comments coming ... yes please!... those of us who have never sat in the REAL seat NEED your thoughts, comments and ideas. Most of us will only see the "real" things only through the "real pilot's" eyes, like yours.  Didn't mean to shut down your comments at all ... please keep them coming. The apology is mine for not stating this earlier!

Thanks, and we WANT to hear more... please?
Doug

BeaverDriver

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
Actually Doug, I think it was a misunderstanding all the way around, but started by me. When I re-read my post, I realized that the caps and bold made it sound like I was shouting at you as though to emphasize how "wrong" you were. I really meant it more as an emphasis that amphibs are not a good choice in the boonies. However, I mis-read the original post by you, in which you stated that this was a start for FSX/Misty and not the be-all and end-all. Really the misunderstandings were mine. How about we forget my post for now (which is why I removed it) and start over with this (except you leave in what you have because that was the point of this thread in the first place - there was nothing wrong with that :D ). Sure, I'll stick my 2 cents in where it's warranted and if it will help (and this time I'll make it 2 cents, and not a "2 dollar bill" (which we don't have in Canada  ;D ), but will be more careful how I write it next time. The fault was mine Doug. Sorry about that and no harm done from my point of view  ;).
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

Doug

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
How 'bout that, my post disappeared too! :-)  Yeah all is well.  I've spent my afternoon re-posted some updated scenery files (anyone reading this, be sure to check the NOTAMs for the list of updated locations). Boy, a website like this keeps you hoppin' that's for sure! 

It really is a joy to see all this come together. Like I said tho ... so many of us here are Wannabees ... what I'd give to grab a real yoke sometime on a real Beaver ... wow.  But it just won't happen for me ... so guys like me MUST rely on guys like YOU to "feel" the reality of this whole thing better.  Watch our story lines, our trip tics ... I'm "making up" the Trip Tics as I go ... I could easily have terminology wrong, etc. When you see something, let us know ... half the fun is the learning curve, the other half is creating a website that is very special to a lot of folks because it does "seem" so real. Help us add that realism anywhere we can.

Doug

BeaverDriver

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 06:23:22 PM »
Well Doug, since you asked, I think you might be right. We need to get as "generic" as possible with this. What we need to begin with is something that will fit all bills. We need size to haul big loads. We need something that will land on water and land. We need something that can feel as at home at PANC as CYPR. Or even at Khutz (although we probably would want to use the bay outside the park to make sure we have enough room to get out with a big load). So, I think I have the PERFECT solution here!! Have a gander:

Works for me!!!  ;D How about you??

BeaverDriver

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
Ok, getting serious for a moment though, Doug has a point about amphibs. However, with respect, I suggest that it would be better to paint up 2 of the most popular machines that can do double duty first and then expand, rather than trying to do a 1-fits-all. That's not as hard as it might sound. IRL, operators that work in winter (and there aren't many left inland), usually convert their summer machine that's on floats to skis for the winter. What that means is that you can do one livery (and variants if you wish) for, let's say, the 185. It can be the straight wheeled version, the bush version, whichever ONE you want (and it only has to be one of those). Now, with only a minor modification, that same livery can be fitted to the other versions quite easily. For instance, with the Carenado 185, you can do just the wheeled version. Then, by adding a single section from any one of the float liveries that are already done, you can turn that into the float version, and same for the ski version. There is only one small panel in each that has to be modified, and that's easy to do (I can help with that if you need - I've done this for the Aerosoft Beaver and the 185).

With default aircraft it's a bit trickier as they didn't put aircraft on different gear for the different seasons (sure wish they had - the default Beaver is actually extremely good!). So you are stuck, and if they have an amphib machine in that, that's what I would go with to start.

Unfortunately amphibs aren't the panacea we all hope for. They can't take rough strips because there isn't the clearance under the wheels and those wheels are the most robust I've ever seen. But, for FSX purposes, if you need an all round machine, then yeah, an amphib might be the way to go.

For default aircraft, I'd be looking at the Beaver for summer and the Maule for winter. For payware machines, then I'd be inclined to go with the 185 (because you can do one skin and make that work for all seasons) and the Aerosoft Beaver (same reasons as the 185). Those are the two most common workhorses you will find in the bush today. The Caravan is making its presence felt in the bush now and it DOES operate often as an amphib, but we don't have one in FSX (and the port-over FS9 is terrible in FSX unfortunately).

By the by - just a hint about the AS Beaver:  Alias the sounds to the default Beaver. AS did a great job on the flight model, but honestly, any resemblence between their soundset and the real thing is purely coincidental. On the other hand, the default Beaver was recorded from the real thing.

Hope that helps, and oh, sorry about the 727 amphib tease - couldn't resist :D

Doug

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
YES!!! I like the "BIG" float ... do ya think we could get that in Misty Colors?  (Tell you what, that would be fun on a Flight-Seeing Tour! ... into the mountain at the first left) ... next time you jus fly through the tunnel it made in Holger's scenery! :-)

Wildbird

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 03:30:23 AM »
The Caravan is making its presence felt in the bush now and it DOES operate often as an amphib, but we don't have one in FSX (and the port-over FS9 is terrible in FSX unfortunately).

By the by - just a hint about the AS Beaver:  Alias the sounds to the default Beaver. AS did a great job on the flight model, but honestly, any resemblence between their soundset and the real thing is purely coincidental. On the other hand, the default Beaver was recorded from the real thing.

Hope that helps, and oh, sorry about the 727 amphib tease - couldn't resist :D
Should we commence operation "Bug Carenado untill they shorten their Grand Caravan and put phibs on it"?  ;)

Definately gonna try using MS sounds on the AS Beaver. Maybe the MS external model too. The "Mash-up Beaver". hehe

Dieter

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
You might try these improved Beaver sounds:
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=511&page=2

Scroll down to "Beaver Sound Pack"

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Doug

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
I love that startup sound when the Microsoft Beaver starts up ... man you KNOW you are sitting on an engine!

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
Don't forget about the 'new' Quest Kodiak out there. True, it is not  a machine that is currently used a lot out there, but it has 'oompf' and there's a nice paywere version around ;-)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

foggy-bottom

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:56 AM »
Me again - just going through the various threads picking out those that that interest me at the moment.  Due to lowish 'puter spec, my hanger is mostly default aircraft.  For the "West Coast" areas I use the DHC-2 and Maule, occasionally the Ultralight.  For "commuter" and larger freight it's the C208.  I do have a C208 amphib pay-ware, but it's not particularly fun to fly and I'm not sure there's a paint-kit available - I'm not a "painter" or "scenery-builder"; I stick to Operations and Schedules  :-[

I've looked at the AS DHC-2 but the lack of a 2D cockpit is off-putting for me.  I understand that some of the variants do have 2D but not all.  I also have little interest in some of the variants and schemes in the package so the cost per variant is increased.

I've been to the RTMM Hanger and downloaded the default DHC-2 scheme, so that's a job jobbed.  If available, I would get the paints for the Maule and ultralight, plus C208 and the Beech 350.  I realise that the 350 probably goes a step too far with regard to the RTMM ethos, but "If ya don't ask, ya don't git!"

Cheers  /  "Foggy"
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
The Maule a la Misty? I'd forgotten this plane.

It's on the list.

All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

foggy-bottom

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
It's on the list.

Thanks Chris.  Would it be possible to do a "muddy" one?
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 01:54:26 AM »
BTW - what is meant by "BIG FLOAT" a few posts back?

Maule is started as a proper MM project - this could take time though. Above and beyond the time I need for move and medicals - it seems that Microsoft have really gone to town on detail bits for this plane, so I am doing 4096 textures.

The other projects are also still running - the various flag themed models. I won't say I have too much on my plates, I have just got loads of little things to play with whenever I get a moment.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)