Author Topic: Chugach Airfields Added  (Read 2962 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Chugach Airfields Added
« on: September 28, 2023, 02:25:01 PM »
Using the new Tundra Pilot web page, I was able to "fix up" 22 Chugach Airfields that I could find in that area. If I could not see the "remnants" of an airfield in FS2020, I would skip that airfield. So all of these are exactly where they should be.  One other thing, some of these have airstrip lengths of 350 feet, etc. I do not consider that a viable length for an airstrip so I've made all of these at least 500+ feet.  One still should not try to fly an F16 or a DC3 out of these, but they are a lot of fun with a little XCub, Wilga, etc. The Husky also seems to work well.

When I finished them, I tried them with real weather and everything was snow-covered ... I could not find the runways to land on or take off from. So I put snow markers (cones with hats) at the edges of all of the runways and you can now see the outline of the runway and land safely if there is laying snow on the ground. Of course, if you have snow, you should use an aircraft equipped with skis.

If you have you POIs turned on, you will see many of these around you as you are flying that area, all are very easy to find. I find it more fun to fly the area in the summer without the snow as it is a very colorful and geographically beautiful area of our world.

I'm amazed at the shortness of the runways and it makes me wonder what sorts of planes people are flying up there. When you see the airfields around Wasilla, you realized probably everybody has a car, but every other person must have an airplane!  None of these 22 strips are water (ice), all are ground-based.

Doug

Doug

• Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Chugach Airfields Added
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:19:31 PM »
Chugach Airfields - a few hints for success

I've been flying the Chugach airstrips for a few days, using a Husky (skis/tundra). These flights are NOT easy!  I created them with the "short" strips because that is what is really there. If one was less than 500 feet, I made it 500 feet. (Some were 350 feet!).  The data all comes from Tundra Pilot.   With a small aircraft like the XCub or the Husky, you can land fine at these if you are careful. But a little too much speed and a short bounce, and you've blown it. And, by the way, the red and white barriers at the ends of some of these runways will wreck you if you hit them.

I always get a kick out of Asobo's "bush flights" which are actually sight-seeing tours. If you want to "feel" the real, white-knuckle experience of back-country bush flying, the Chugach Airstrips will be a good choice. I've got a few thousand hours flying the sim and rarely wreck it. Flying these, if you don't wreck it, you are either very lucky or darned good. I'm ashamed to say I've wrecked myself several times on these ... but if you can fly the set of them (22) with no mishaps, it gives you a great feeling of confidence and success. I've finally accomplished that on my 4th attempt.  It is amazing how much we still need to learn, especially about the very small airstrips and STOL-type planes. People mistakenly think real back-country bush flying is sort of "loose" ... I'm rethinking that ... it is VERY EXACT and you pay for it with the slightest error.

You can fly the airstrips CH01 through CH22 in one sitting as it is basically a linear route. After you take off, level off at 1200 foot altitude then look for the next one in the series and make your approach. If you have your POIs turned on, all of the airfields will show.  Also if you already have put them into LittleNavMap, you can see the direction of the runways which is very helpful. Most airstrips are only a few miles apart.  Doing this the first time, I suggest you try it with summer weather (NO SNOW!). With snow on the ground, you have to make a very low pass to see the snow markers at the edge of the runways so you can come back around and get lined up correctly. All of the airstrips are land-based ... there are no water runways.

And if you have a chance, look around! You are flying through the valleys of the beautiful Chugach Mountains. RTMM also has 36 USFS cabins in this area. (Most of these are water, but worth a low pass if you want to see them).

Be sure your virtual insurance payments are up to date and ENJOY!

Doug

xxd09

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 03:39:45 PM »
Thank you for these airstrips-wonderful additions to our bush flying experience
Set in marvellous scenery courtesy of MSFS and Rex AccuSeason
Ch20 was a stunner!
Much appreciated-needless today I used the Cub in Misty Moorings livery!
xxd09

Stanel

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 06:22:46 PM »
My short video presenting one by one all 22 airstrips.

https://youtu.be/tCNEILzT2DA
Stan

Dan

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 02:28:13 PM »
Very cool showcase video, Stanel!