Author Topic: MSFS 2024 trailer  (Read 3056 times)

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
MSFS 2024 trailer
« on: June 14, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »
hello..!
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 has been announced

[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
Re: MSFS 2024 trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 05:36:19 PM »
Yeah, I watched when they premiered this during the summer games fest.   Looks pretty cool, adding missions and such.  I had a few questions, which they mostly answered on their FAQ here: https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 be a completely standalone sequel, or will it also be offered as a paid update for existing players?

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is a standalone simulator and the next-generation sequel to Microsoft Flight Simulator that launched in 2020. Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

What kind of support can Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) players expect to see once Flight Simulator 2024 has been released?

We will continue to deliver our Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) Roadmap which has content ranging from Aircraft and Avionics Updates, Sim Updates, City and World Updates, and also the free Dune DLC. We will continue to support Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) post the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 launch.

Will all purchases users have made from the Marketplace be transferrable to the new simulator?

With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 10:45:56 PM »
Thanks, Dan!

Rod

kaha

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 01:45:32 AM »
For me it's like giving version numbers to MSFS. The 2020 version was V1, the 2024 version is V2 and in 2028 we may have V3. And they charge for each major version. Just like LM did with P3D. Sim updates would be V1.1, V1.2 and so on.

That's ok for me. We got lots of minor versions in 2020. Nice to see that development goes on and our investments in addons are protected.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 01:47:19 PM »
It would appear the reason that they do this is to keep generating income..to generate or maintain a steady flow of income for the company once the Sim has been around for a few years, so a new sim version: profit from new sim sales to be able to keep paying the employees who are developing. I guess hey it was the same as with fs9/fsx, p3d as well as explained.

As fars as msfs is concerned, that premise appears to be the same. As far as it appears, there will be no new technology coming in the 2024 version that hasn't already been developed or currently exists in the 2020 version.. obviously, we'll see what happens in this surprising and dramatic announcement.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 05:37:03 PM »
To me, they really made MSFS2020 more of a "game" than previous iterations which brought in wider audience I think (which has its plusses and minuses).  I see a lot of your typical "gamers" on Twitch live-streaming MSFS2020 occasionally more than I ever have before, lots of people like it, there just isn't a ton in it to keep their attention.   In 2024 they're gamifying it a bit more with the missions and such, giving more casual players who don't download addons and scenery like RTMM more things to do instead of flying from point A to B or flying over the pyramids for the 20th time.      So.. I'm really not shocked that they're doing this, 4 years is a pretty decent amount of time in between installments.   And as you said it helps fund development.

If you take a look at release patterns in video gaming, you'll get a new shooter like Call of Duty every year as they go for that cash grab (and results in some pretty lifeless and hollow games).

I'm just glad that they're making almost everything compatible between the versions it sounds like, otherwise I think this might have ticked off a lot more people.    We'll see what it means for the addon scenery though.

kronovan

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 05:23:46 PM »
I agree that this is probably more aimed at the more casual, gamer than the established flight simulator audience. I can no longer count on my fingers and toes the numbers of fathers and their kids (both sons & daughters) in my neighborhood who are playing MSFS on a Xbox Series game console. And they're scooping the flightsim console perpipherals off the shelves at EB and Best Buy in rapid order - Thrustmaster and Logitech must be smiling.

Microsoft made the interesting choice this console generation to deliver 2 gaming consoles (Xbox Series X and Series S) on day 1 with significantly different hardware capabilities. Typically they've intro'd new console editions with incremental/subtle changes through the life cycle, but last gen late in the Xbox One cycle they intro'd the Xbox One X, which was significantly more capable and able to exploit big changes in gaming APIs - improved visuals and sound all around. The Xbox 1 X enticed a number of Xbox owners to upgrade and the sales for it were decent. Having released 2 consoles day 1, I won't be surpised if Mircosoft's blockbuster games released late in the cylce will require an Xbox Series X to run; 2020 already taxes a Series S. I see MSFS 2024 as one of those games.

I don't doubt 2024 will deliver some benefits for PC simmers, but TBH I see it more as a version thing.