Author Topic: Big Radial's Gruman JRF-6B Goose; Quality of the added SPBs?  (Read 2478 times)

kronovan

I just recently started to browse the scenery map at the MSFS marketplace. I noticed that some remote BC seaplane bases are contained in Big Radial's JRF-6B Goose addon. I'm particulary intrigued by Bedwell Harbor on Pender Island, which is dear to me as I vacationed nearby every summer as a child. I've also noticed it adds Nimpo Lake, Hartley Bay and the Whistler aerodrome SPBs. Something I'm wondering though, is if those SPBs were broken by the big Canadian content update?

With my current flightsim setup I can't hook up my 2nd throttle without a wee bit of woodworking, so I'd be buying the Goose initially just for the addon scenery.
So...I'm wondering if anyone who's bought this aircraft addon could comment upon the quality of those 4 SPBs?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 12:45:37 PM by kronovan »

kronovan

Re: Big Radial's Gruman JRF-6B Goose; Quality of the added SPBs?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 07:37:29 PM »
So it looks like no one has bought this.

No worries, the JRF-6B went on sale at the ORBX store with a 40% discount, so at a cost of $18.00 CDN I snapped it up. Also bought the Norseman which was on sale too.
Here's hoping the MSFS Marketplace was correct about the included SPBs. The aircrafts player rating on the Marketplace is high, so I figure I've bought myself a nice, interesting ride no matter what.   :D

kronovan

Re: Big Radial's Gruman JRF-6B Goose; Quality of the added SPBs?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 09:29:28 PM »
Well...the 4 SPBs are indeed there. However, after taking off from the included Bedwell Harbor-Pender Island and Green Lake Whistler SPBs, I can report that there was some decent docks scenery there. WAS, because in both locations they're now completely under water - doh!
Did the Canadian content update change so much!?

I flew from Bedwell Harbour to Long Harbour airfield on Saltspring Island and the state of the Gulf Islands in general seems pretty darn poor. The once above water, but now submerged factor struck home when I flew over the BC Ferries dock at Otter Bay, Pender Island. Yup all the car ramps and outer docs are under water too. Come on Asobo, these ferries at times move thousands of passengers a day so they're kind of important!
When I landed at CLH3 Long Harbor on runway 11, there was a big tree at the end forcing me to do a sort of a last second crosswind approach to avoid snagging my wing. The only impressive scenery I viewed in my 2 flights, was Doug's Portlock Point lighthouse (man that looked awesome) and the payware CYPS Pemberton airport just north of Whistler.

I haven't fired up the  JRF-6B Goose yet, but something I noticed right way in the Hangar is that there's a skis version of it. Which as far as I'm concerned is pretty darn sweet. I'd like to take it for a quick test flight, but is that even possible in MSFS with just a single throttle quadrant? I'd try just using my mouse, but I'm not so dexterous with such things.

Big Radial's buildings at the SPBs are far from pretty, but the docks look like they were a decent effort. It's just that they're...well...rather wet.  :P
Is there anyway they can be raised up above water with a SDK tool, or is that something only the original scenery creator can do?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 09:31:17 PM by kronovan »