Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 2512 times)

archangel1

Is it just me?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »
Although I appreciate the huge variety of aircraft we are able to fly in the various flightsims, there's always been one thing that 'bothers' me slightly and it can sometimes take away some of the immersion I may feel.  It's not something that really affects the larger airports where you expect things to be up-to-date but it can be quite noticeable at smaller venues.

Have you ever flown your 'vintage' aircraft (Beaver, DC-3, Trimotor, whatever) into a small out-of-the-way field miles from civilization, shut it down and then looked at the vehicular scenery? It's like culture shock.  BMWs, Lexus, Pajeros, Ferraris, SUVs, minivans and the like.  Why can't we have a 1960's pickup or a Beetle or an old Mack in the background for a change? They don't have to move (although Orbx seems to be including that option in some of their latest packages, using older vehicles for the most part) but I think it would be more appropriate to the 'feel' of a place.  I know some developers (Golden Age Simulations, for one) often include vintage scenery with their products and include period appropriate 'set dressing' as a bonus but too many addons seem to add 'chrome' as an afterthought.  Would you really expect to see a Mercedes-Benz in the lot of a gravel field in the middle of bush country, no matter how modern your bird is? It tends to break the ambience, for me at least.

A big part of the appeal of flightsimming is using your imagination to enter a world most of us will never know.  I've only flown once, on an L-1011 well over 40 years ago (filet mignon for lunch!), but that doesn't lessen my 'joy' of flying, whether in a combat sim, a space shuttle or a Martin Mars.  Part of that enjoyment comes in merely looking around in the enclosed world of the sim and this 'problem' I've mentioned is sometimes just enough to diminish that pleasure.  It'll never destroy it but I'll always feel a bit of disappointment that my fantasy world isn't quite perfect.

We now return to our regular scheduled programme.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
I agree that period autos and/or more 'rugged terrain' type vehicles would be nice, but, there it is again!  For the most part the vehicles I believe are produced by from FSX stock shapes which is lacking in the more rugged terrain vehicles appropriate to RTMM.  In addition remember that every 'special use vehicle' would have to be added from outside or a shape made for it by the developer.  Every time you add something like that you increase the CPU usage and finally stutters will occur when too many of these objects are put into a small area.  This is noticeable in the PAKT area on less capable computers due to the large number of RTMM small scenery add ons close around PAKT they all add up unfortunately.
Of course there are vintage autos out there but if they are in object libraries from Payware they can not be used legally.
You may try searching the web (Google) for somebody who has made a library of older autos that can be added to FSX but I am not aware personally of such things.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dieter

Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
The well know scenery designer Louis Leon, who passed away some years ago, offered many freeware sceneries for FS2004 (avsim)  in which he used some old car models.
I can upload these textures for somebody to check if they might be usable.
What about the FS2004  "Misty Mooring" sceneries? Were old vehilce textures used in there?

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals