Author Topic: Trying to get started  (Read 17826 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Trying to get started
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »
     Object libraries should be at the very top.  Then all FTX compatible scenery files next.  After that comes the OZx and FTX files, which are just above your designated insertion point file.  Below the insertion point file is where you add scenery that is not FTX compatible.

FSX gets loaded in layers. (and from the bottom up) The mesh has to be loaded so the terrain can be put on it.  Then the scenery locations are loaded.  And finally, the objects are loaded into the scenery that was just loaded.  That's why the scenery entries are below the objects.  So the locations are there before FSX tries to place objects.  Does that make sense?   :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:28:02 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

I understand.I'll keep the object library's above the RTMM scenery's I add.

About the object tester scenery that was installed.Should I go ahead and delete it?.

I guess now I can try to add some RTMM scenery's correct.I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything before I attempt adding scenery's etc.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
I'd leave it, to occasionally check things are working.  You can simply uncheck it in the list until you need it.  I keep mine on all the time.  I like them there. ;D

Start with Misty's.  Then, after you've visited there to check things out, go back and start with the "A's" and work your way down.  Fully install each one before moving on to the next.  I say alphabetically, so it's easier to keep track of where you are.  Take your time.  We're not going anywhere.  You'll be glad in the end.  Post some screenies from time to time, in the screenshots thread.  Happy flying!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:38:10 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

GrayRider

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
OK.

Thanks.I'll now try to install a couple scenery's,for practice,knowing I need it.

I also want to say.Thank you all for the fast reply's,helping me get started with the RTMM products.It means a lot to me.

I never thought I'd get reply's that fast.You've all done a super job.I guess if I have scenery issues,until I get going I can post them here,unless I have to add my problem topic's in another thread etc.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
unless I have to add my problem topic's in another thread etc.
Yeah, actually this is the "General Discussion" thread.  Your post would've been better in the "help and troubleshooting" thread instead.  But Oh well.  No big deal. 

You're likely to get a fast reply, I suppose, because we are an international community.  There's always someone up.  Well, not always.  But most of the time.  I watch the threads through my email program after work every evening and on the weekends.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:51:03 PM by jeff3163 »

GrayRider

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 12:01:39 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

I'll remember that.You mention start with Misty's?.Is it a scenery,and how do I find it?.I'll make it my first scenery install.

GrayRider

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:52 AM »
At the top of the page is a link, "Scenery".  If you click on that you will find an alphabetical list of the scenery locations.  Click on "M" and it will do just as expected.  Here's the link to get you there presto!  http://return.mistymoorings.com/scenery/#m

Scroll down to "Misty's Place".  Once there, click on the "zip" box at the bottom of the description box and a download dialog will open.  You should be rollin' from there.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:18:04 AM by jeff3163 »

GrayRider

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »
I now have Misty's Place installed.It looks great to me.I went ahead as well and installed the CIRP office at PAKT.I see them on both the upper and lower levels,at PAKT.

I guess I'm cooking with gas.I hope.I'll know more tomorrow,when I install a few more addons.

Thanks again Jeff for your assistance.

GrayRider

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »
Glad I could help.   8)  G'nite  ;)

Dieter

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Well, I wouldn't interfere this intense discussion, but I have some other experiences with the position of EZ-libraries in the scenery.cfg.
Generally I use Orbx insertion point and my RTMM/CIRP sceneries are in priority higher than all Orbx/FTX sceneries.

Reading in this thread: "Object libraries should be at the very top." or "I'll keep the object library's above the RTMM scenery's I add."

I assume following: when reading : "placing sceneries / addons above" ...  this means "higher in priority than" Correct?

On my system I have a very bad experience with the setting of EZ/CeyX libraries higher than Orbx. After doing this I had little bushes spread out on many airfields (taxiway, ramp, runway and other areas) in Orbx-area. At first I couldn't find the culprit.
But after setting my EZ-Library and CeyX_Library back to the former position ( in priority just one step higher than "Add-On-Scenery) problems were gone.

Computers running FSX are some kind of "strange beings"...

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 07:39:03 AM »
Great thread here and it shows how much we all care about our little RTMM world. I think this thread should be a sticky for future reference but I don't have the ability to make that happen in this area of the forums. Maybe Dan can?

Brad

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Looks like you're all set to go.   I have all my RTMM sceneries BELOW the entries for the libraries.  Works here.

Does it matter if the object library's are above or below the RTMM scenery's,knowing there at the top of the FSX Library anyway,which is above all the OZx stuff etc?.

Now that the object library's are installed.Should I go ahead and remove/delete the object tester scenery?.

GrayRider

The Libraries should be above the scenery files in your FSX Scenery Library and you will not have any problems that way.  As for deleting the scenery object tester that is up to you but at 1KB it sure wont break your HD.   What I did was after I had downloaded the Annette Ilsland Fly-In scenery I just moved the object tester .BGL file into the scenery sub-folder of the Annette Island Fly-In and dumped the tester folder.  Both sceneries are off the main runway at Annette Island so in normal use are not really noticed.  The Fly-in scenery is at one end of the aux. runway and the object test is at the other so I just left it there.  Doesn't look all that much out of place when the Fly-In scenery is added.

BTW here is a handy tip for moving the various folders around in the FSX Library.  When you have a few dozen RTMM scenery folder at the top of your FSX Library (under the object libraries of course) it gets tedious moving the newest addition down those folder if you keep them alphabetically as I do.  If you select the folder you want to move then click the move down (or up) button once you can then just hold the Enter key down and it will repeat the click you just made and the folder will zip right down (or up) without clicking the mouse til ya turn blue!

Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
     Object libraries should be at the very top.  Then all FTX compatible scenery files next.  After that comes the OZx and FTX files, which are just above your designated insertion point file.  Below the insertion point file is where you add scenery that is not FTX compatible.

FSX gets loaded in layers. (and from the bottom up) The mesh has to be loaded so the terrain can be put on it.  Then the scenery locations are loaded.  And finally, the objects are loaded into the scenery that was just loaded.  That's why the scenery entries are below the objects.  So the locations are there before FSX tries to place objects.  Does that make sense?   :o

Never mind I just had a brain fart and did not read Jeff's post closely enough, what he said!
 :o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:36:39 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

GrayRider

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Know that I'm kind of cooking with gas.Before I go any further.I already have six librarys installed and two RTMM scenery's added to get started.
My FSX library looks fine at the moment.I know what going to happen when I switch from one orbx region to another.My RTMM stuff will be below my orbx and ozx stuff in the library.

Myself I just don't have a handle on doing the insertion points in FTX Central.I just plain don't understand it.
Now that I have RTMM stuff in the picture.I don't know how I'm going to get the insertion points redone correctly.RTMM stuff first,Ozx second and FTX stuff third,using the insertion setup in the FTX Central??.

I'm not even sure if my FTX Central should be set to default,before I'd try to redo the insertion points.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a member here I could call,that knows this insertion stuff,or I could provide my number in Tucson,Az to someone.

This is going to be a mind boggler for me for sure.

THX

GrayRider

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
Insertion point setting is not that hard. Start FTX Central, Tools, Secenery Library Configuration, FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points.  On the screen that pops up you set FTX Point first by picking the Scenery folder above which you want the FTX files to be.  The OZx insertion point will be set above the first FTX entry if you do nothing else.  It does not matter if your in Default or FTX but for giggles I would set it to North America as that is where you will be flying RTMM anyway.

If you do not have the insertion point as you know every time you switch between Default and FTX scenery the OZx\FTX folders will be moved back to the top.  Try it and check your FSX Scenery Library and if it isn't where its supposed to be just redo the insertion point again.  You will see how it works without much of a problem.
 8)

8)
Later,

Spud