Author Topic: Orbx PAKT released!  (Read 10450 times)

Reggy

Orbx PAKT released!
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »

Hi guys,

I see on the Orbx site that Pakt has been released. HERE
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Orbx PAKT released!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:42 AM »
Downloading now ... been looking forward to this one for "years".

D

Dexthom

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
Well, this is another one of those "unfinished releases"  They ran out of time and let it go.  There will be
a service pack.  No AI, there are no parking places when you "go to airport".  I followed one of my
Alaska Airline birds while on approach and it landed OK but then disappeared.  I guesse that there is
a problem with the various altitude levels at PAKT.   :'(  Misty Maritime works fine!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:16:26 PM by Dexthom »

Reggy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Yeah, I think it was spud that mentioned that before. It is to do with the different levels, Fsx will only recognise one per airport as far as AI goes. Not sure that will be fixed in the upcoming patch, they are going to add more to the surrounding area I think.    ???
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

Doug

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
They mention no snow on the aprons ... which I can understand with the sloper problem. But if you set your weather on Winter Wonderland and fly at about 2000 feet, there are no "winter" textures anywhere in the surrounding area ... about 2 miles from the airport it all fills in with snow, but it is perpetual summertime in Ketchkian.  Have to consider this one "unfinished".  Also, is anybody getting a 2 second "black screen" when flying out of PAKT?  Never saw that before and I see it, when flying out of PAKT.

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
Yes on the AI not working.  The difference in ramp/runway elevation will not allow AI to utilize the sloped taxiways.  Unless some brilliant programmer finds a solution AI will only be able to do T&G at PAKT.
Another problem that will probably show up is that when you use the sloped taxiways you will see dust kicked up by the airplane.  In FSX if the runway is sloped the sim always treats it as an unpaved runway so dust/dirt kicks up while taxiing, I imagine taxiways are the same.
No seasonal textures?  What a shame, would rather they took the time to finish the airport rather than kick the thing out the door just to hit the XMAS rush.  I use XMASX cause this sure as he** ain't the Christian thing to do IMHO.

8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:26:26 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »
I watched a Piper Cherokee come in ... it doesn't "touch and go" it touches and DISAPPEARS.  But I thought we were getting a bunch of AI float plane traffic ... I don't see any?

Dexthom

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
It appears that it was pushed out the door unfinished and they know the folks who drink the "kool aid" won't complain.  This scenery actually screwed up the surrounding area that was there.  I guess that
it is probably time to head for the Bahamas until they decide to fix it.   :'(

Doug

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
They should have put this out the door as a beta, maybe even to us since we fly this as "home" all the time. Then collected the money on the final version (which we all would have bought). A shame. Russ did a great job with the elevations, but the scenery just doesn't make it in the surrounding area. If you look at the Pacific Islands bundle for bush flying (http://secure.simmarket.com/pis-raw-grit-png-bushpilot-extreme-bush-trekker-bundle.phtml) they have sloped runways and don't seem to be having texture problems.  (That's a "fun" package by the way).

Bottom line, I'm a little disappointed.

D

Dexthom

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
I also picked up 0S9 and Harvey.  I was on the Beta Team of the original Harvey for FS9 that Francois sponsored.  I like both of them.  0S9 is simple with a lot of detail.  I was really looking forward to PAKT and like you I am very disappointed.  They are going to do Stewart but I think that I will pass on that
one and wait for Holger to do Glacier Bay.   :-[ 

texerrn

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
I went and bought Orbix PAKT. Even though I was already hearing about some problems. My PFJ and PNW worked just fine, after fiddling with some elevation errors. Sure enough my new PAKT is floating way above the PFJ scenery. I went to the Orbix forum, no help. I was trying out adjustments to my scenery and I may have come across a work around for those of us with a PAKT floating a thousand feet in the sky. Using the scenery configuration I noticed a new layer : Orbix FTX _ _AA _ PAKT down within the previous Orbix layers. I just brought this mentioned layer up to priority number one. That did it. Now everything is correct at least elevation wise. I haven't tried putting the RTTM objects, the dispatch office, on yet. It sure is dark there now. I have already taxied the 185 over a cliff in the dark. Lee

HighGround

• Throckmorton Throttlebottom
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I've gone and yanked mine, for the nonce.  Not in a fit of pique, or anything so silly, but simply I figure I was better-off with the "old" version, all things considered -- both from the perspective of my RTMM activities, and for the specific usefulness of PAKT itself (its enhanced appearances notwithstanding).

That's at least for now.  One can hope that this'll all get nicely resolved in the fullness of time.

-Jon
Russell Lake, Dartmouth, Nose Kosher, Kanuckistan

aeugli

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »
Hallo Texerrn,
what do you mean with the "scenery configuration"? the FSX Scenery Library or what?
I solved for myself the elevation errors ar the new PAKT (same as yours: floating above around 50 ft) as follows: I just deactivated (.bgl_OFF) the two bgl-files "ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_17AK_Ketchikan_TEMSCO_heli_1m_ALT.bgl" &  "ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_AK1H_Ketchikan_N_Tongass_Hwy_heli_8m_ALT.bgl" in the Scenery\World\Scenery-Folder. (After a long haul of experiments >:()
Now everything is correct at least elevation wise!
Your answer is much appreciated AND a fine Boxing Dax to all
Rainer
Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

texerrn

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
I used the default Ms scenery configuration editor, in the addon area. At least that's what I call it. With FS running, go to the scenery area, where you added all those RTMM scenery and objects. Then I scrolled down until I found ORBX _FTX__ AA __PAKT. and moved it's level up untill it was in the number one spot - highest priority. I have a freeware stand alone scenery configuration editor but you don't really need that just to move this area up. I am not sure what I have in my scenery library that is interferring but this worked. texerrn

kiki

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
Did I get this right: Ai traffic is not able to use the new PAKT? I´ve been waiting for this release but now I´m not sure if I want it. At least I will wait for a patch...
---

kiki